electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Moog 901a / 901b DIY
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Moog 901a / 901b DIY
Subject description: Incomplete! Untested! Now slightly deodorized!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit 9/2013: I've been prompted to upload what I have in its current form; note that parts values and notes can be wrong. Check the Moog Service Manual. One note on the 901a parts layout doc about two components adding to be 500R is likely supposed to be 600R.

I have still not confirmed these. The Service Manual should be used to select transistors and to calibrate them.

---

Long-promised, not completely delivered (yet). Approved by Moog Music so long as the Moog name is not used on the artwork etc.

Incomplete...Untested. I have not downloaded and confirmed correct PCB art sizing. (They should be the same size as other Moog Modular PCBs.) I have not built these and confirmed functionality. These are derived from a 901a/901b set from just before the Service Manual's version. You can substitute the parts values in the Service Manual if desired. This is why no BOM...

NOTE THAT THESE ARE FOR THE ORIGINAL +12V / -6V / -10V POWER SUPPLY. NO SUBSTITUTIONS HAVE BEEN MADE FOR FUNCTIONALITY WITH ANY OTHER VOLTAGES.

A wiring diagram is to follow, as is the 901a parts layout.

The Service Manual (easily Google'd) details the setup procedure as well as the transistor selection.

The 2N4058 low-noise transistor will shortly again be available at MCM electronics. The 2N3391a are at Mouser. The 2N3702 and 2N3707 should also be readily available. The CL-1 diode is unobtanium, but is rated as a rectifier at 100v V(rrm). All resistors are 1/2W. The 2N2646 FET is available.

It is recommended to match all resistors on the 901b up to and around the FET =to be the same on all oscillators=. The diodes and resistors in the waveform shaper should be matched as well but not across all oscillators unless you're that sort of person. It is also possible that the ceramic and electrolytic caps in the oscillator input area up to the FET should also be matched for all oscillators. Note that all timing caps must be selected for optimum octave switching, and across all oscillators (goes without saying). Polystyrene types can be substituted for the original Mullard "tropical fish" mylar type, which is possibly part of the original character/behaviour.

More to come, please to forgive the incomplete nature. All two or three persons actually interested in this sort of thing Laughing

For those interested in a more modern take:

http://minimalist.davidleith.com/DeitzModSynth4.html

Moog and Moog Music is a registered trademark of Moog Music Inc.

Moog_901a_Layout2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Moog_901a_Layout2.pdf
 Filesize:  920.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1442 Time(s)

901aPCBArtwork.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  901aPCBArtwork.pdf
 Filesize:  585.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1013 Time(s)

901b_Artwork.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  901b_Artwork.pdf
 Filesize:  634.13 KB
 Downloaded:  967 Time(s)

901b_PartsLayout.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  901b_PartsLayout.pdf
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Downloaded:  1167 Time(s)

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog

Last edited by Peake on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13 am; edited 10 times in total
TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great ,Peake thumb up

Some of your pictures already served me well as references
and i appreciate a lot you did UL them.
davemoog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup it's a great sounding oscillator. Once the octave switching capacitors are well calibrated and the quite finicky tune-up is done the 901 is very stable and tunes well with a keyboard CV between approx .5 to 4.5/5.0 volts. One needs to keep this in mind and use the fixed cv switches to maintain that input range and use the octave switching (capacitors) to change frequency ranges.

Love the pair I built. Hope that more people build them.

Dave Leith

I think I got my CA3019 matched diodes from Senso.
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin Lightner posted in the MoogerForum that the timing caps are useful as an R/C circuit; you can add up to 20Meg resistors to trim the caps for better octave'ing.

I applaud you on building a pair, and encourage you to share any hints and experiences if you feel like it, please!

TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Moog 901a / 901b DIY
Subject description: Incomplete! Untested! No deodorant!

Peake wrote:

The 2N2646 FET is available.

Vital note: the 2n2646 is NOT a FET: It's a uni-junction transistor, a very different kettle of Silicon.

It's worth buying more than one, the originals had a reasonably tight spec, but last time I wanted some I was offered a plastic package, not the TO 18 package the Motorola ones came in, and I couldn't get the same frequency range I got with the metal can ones. I was using them as a VC clock generator in an old light sequencer design of mine.

there is an effect in that over a certain 'base' voltage, they will lock-up in the triggered state, so if that is happening, you'll need to trim back the current generator. I think bad spec ones may exhibit some kind of base current leakage, that limits the full range.

Hope this helps

Mike

Edit: Just found 3 metal canned 2N2626's, guess what I think I'm building....

danlind7109

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey!
I found some Photos of the 901A/B PCB on the internet, Made new PCB-layouts from that..
Worked out a layout for the discrete mixer, and built 2 of them (to the right of the oscillators)

/Dan

DSCN0810.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.05 MB
 Viewed:  730 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCN0810.JPG

danlind7109

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Files...
descrete mixer PDF Ready for PCB...
/Dan

901a.pdf
 Description:
Oscillatordriver

Download
 Filename:  901a.pdf
 Filesize:  43.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1310 Time(s)

901b.pdf
 Description:
Oscillator

Download
 Filename:  901b.pdf
 Filesize:  59.31 KB
 Downloaded:  1225 Time(s)

Discrete Mixer.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Discrete Mixer.pdf
 Filesize:  7.36 KB
 Downloaded:  1163 Time(s)

Last edited by danlind7109 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
danlind7109

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just for fun:
901B sinus-Discrete mixer-Feedback to mixer-COTK 904A
/Dan

901Sinus Mixfeedback.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  901Sinus Mixfeedback.mp3
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Downloaded:  845 Time(s)

Peake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! Any thoughts on using a THAT transistor array in a CP3 clone? They have one with matched NPN and PNP pairs.

And thank you Prof, I was obviously not aware of that. Good information!

danlind7109

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a simple match of the transistors in the mixers, And they work fine.
Do not se that its nesessery for super-matched Transistor arrays.

For you who want to build a 901a/b clone i recommend to use Transistor arrays
or atleast terminal coupling of the transistor pairs in the 901A.
And match the 901B resistors R2,R3,R4,R5,R6,R7, If you build more than one
901B
Do not make my misstakes... Wink

/Dan
Peake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much!!

danlind7109

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is other UTJ-based Osillators,
one is in ARP Pro Solist

And some basic UTJ Theory

http://baec.tripod.com/DEC90/uni_tran.htm

/Dan

UTJ Oscillator.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.33 KB
 Viewed:  759 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

UTJ Oscillator.jpg

adambee7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could use ca3046 transistor arrays or what about the THAT300 matched transistors. Very Happy Very Happy
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adambee7 wrote:
You could use ca3046 transistor arrays or what about the THAT300 matched transistors. Very Happy Very Happy

Moog's next-generation 921 and 921b did indeed use the 3046. A few of each per module, IIRC.

BoneyardAudio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Peake,

Thanks so much for posting these PCBs up, really useful to a lot of people. They've come at just the right time for me, as I'm about to embark on the epic task of building a Moog Modular.

You mentioned there were more to come - which models are you planning? I'm particularly interested in the 904A, 902, 911 and 921, are any of these on your list?
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Peake, thanks for starting this thread--if you're taking note, I'm also very interested in these modules, and would like to see more Moog 900 projects.

I'd love to hear how people might be approaching the problems involved when considering Moog 900 modules. If more of these Moog inspired projects come up in the forum, a topic about general Moog making would be useful. I'm interested in what people are doing for a +12/-6 power supply (these are the voltages?), and how one could approximate Moog style panels.
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 901 modules have been out of production for many years, decades even, and no one is making a living selling them (not surprising considering what a hassle is involved in some sections). Mike Bucki sells orignal Moog Modules with Bob's blessing; I'm not going to present anything that would step on his toes and income. I may build things for myself, but not for public sharing.

No recent progress on these; been distracted by Buchla DIY.

BoneyardAudio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake,

I don't think anyone was asking you to build modules for them. I merely assumed that as you had already shared one PCB layout, you might be willing to share more.

I for one have no interest in buying any Moog modules - I much prefer the challenge of building them myself Very Happy I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same way.
Peake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I understand; I simply am not going to be the one to step on Mike Bucki's income by presenting any public DIY projects. If Mike were to give permission, I'd be happy to share what I'll eventually work upon.

davemoog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although I did build an original Moog modular power supply many years ago with all the right parts, I decided to use 78 and 79 series regulators to bring +/- 15V down for the 901 modules (+12, -10, -6 I believe). It was just easier as I was integrating the VCOs into a panel and the rest of the panel required +/-15.

http://minimalist.davidleith.com/DeitzModSynth4.html
http://minimalist.davidleith.com/DeitzModSynth6.html

ericcoleridge wrote:
Hey Peake, thanks for starting this thread--if you're taking note, I'm also very interested in these modules, and would like to see more Moog 900 projects.

I'd love to hear how people might be approaching the problems involved when considering Moog 900 modules. If more of these Moog inspired projects come up in the forum, a topic about general Moog making would be useful. I'm interested in what people are doing for a +12/-6 power supply (these are the voltages?), and how one could approximate Moog style panels.
Peake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave. That's very impressive work you're doing.

danlind7109

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is why Im not intressed in dotcom anymore...

3 901b Vco into the discrete mixer and Cotk 904A filter

Play it Loud or not at all

Best Regards
Dan Lind

This is Why Im selling dotcomp3.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  This is Why Im selling dotcomp3.mp3
 Filesize:  2.33 MB
 Downloaded:  945 Time(s)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave, I would like to attempt building this VCO, and will try using your PCB work. But the parts placing in ai file is not clear for me. Actually I do not have Illustrator to open it and rename the file as pdf to do it so I maybe missed something Confused

Thank you all here for recreating this wonderful design!
noddyspuncture

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Moog 901a / 901b DIY
Subject description: Incomplete! Untested! Now slightly deodorized!

Hi everyone,

Could anyone here please help? I am trying to construct the 901a and b that Mike so kindly did the PCB artwork on, but have run into a problem.

I saved the files a while ago now, but have had a hard drive failure and lost everything. I can retrieve the two PCB artworks and also the 901b parts layout - as found at the link below. But for the life of me I cannot find the 901a parts layout diagram anywhere. I do know it is out there somewhere as I definitely had it before...!

Would anyone here be able to please send it me if they have it?

Many thanks.
Tom

Peake wrote:
Long-promised, not completely delivered (yet). Approved by Moog Music so long as the Moog name is not used on the artwork etc. My mistake in having the name in the parts layout; that is not to be edited for use as board artwork.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11165691@N03/with/2514194497/

Incomplete...Untested. I have not downloaded and confirmed correct PCB art sizing. I have not built these and confirmed functionality. These are derived from a 901a/901b set from just before the Service Manual's version. You can substitute the parts values in the Service Manual if desired. This is why no BOM...

NOTE THAT THESE ARE FOR THE ORIGINAL +12V / -6V / -10V POWER SUPPLY. NO SUBSTITUTIONS HAVE BEEN MADE FOR FUNCTIONALITY WITH ANY OTHER VOLTAGES.

A wiring diagram is to follow, as is the 901a parts layout.

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Moog 901a / 901b DIY Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tom,

Have you tried sending a PM to Mike Peake? I believe he's still running around on E-M here.

Tim (punctured my noddy once, hurt like heck) Servo
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: