electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
The Karplus Strong eChucK DIY Project
Page 20 of 24 [577 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also at the back there on the AUX FB send/FB return connections i tried a 100K trimmer , set to about 4 or 5K set the feedback kicking in at about 2 o clock on the main feedback pot, are these connections for further proccesing ??.

running the pcb on +/- 12V.

Dave
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Dave, those feedback connections wore for anyone who wanted to put in a filter or delay or anything really into the feedback loop. I think it was wmonk who wanted that. I added it last minute.

Les

wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Yes Dave, those feedback connections wore for anyone who wanted to put in a filter or delay or anything really into the feedback loop. I think it was wmonk who wanted that. I added it last minute.
Les

dancing geek

do those connections have standard modular levels, or should I add a little circuit there to compensate for that? Can't wait to add a frequency shifter in the loop Cool

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Les, i think i will link them or maybe use a 1K5 res coupling them , gonna try setting the v/oct , before dinner Smile then couple it up to the modular for a bit of KS sounds Smile

Dave.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure but I think the levels are 0V to 5V. LOL you would think that I would frickin know how my own board works but I don't recall...

Les

rosch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Les,
i'd like to build your Boolean Sequencer, could you please point me to the latest schematic?
thank you!
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I'm not sure but I think the levels are 0V to 5V. LOL you would think that I would frickin know how my own board works but I don't recall...

Les

Yes indeed, and there are clamp diodes as part of the feedback return -- so the circuit is protected against out-of-range voltages.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rosch wrote:
hi Les,
i'd like to build your Boolean Sequencer, could you please point me to the latest schematic?
thank you!

rosch, to make a boolean sequencer you can be creative. I don't so much have a schematic as I have a description, and here it is:

Start with an LFO square wave suitable for driving CMOS such as a 555 timer ciricuit. Send that into a CD4040 binary counter to get a 12 bit binary count. Attach any logic you wish to that binary count, including no logic at all. Add a resitive aggregator to the bits. This gives you CV. For KS stim, just add a series 0.1uF capacitor. Aggregator should use resistors in the 100kOhm range.

OK that's a lot to say but it summarizes the design. It's interesting, the history of it, one time in a ChucK software version, I could swear I heard the theme from the old TV show Bonanza. I think the history of this thing goes way back, I just re-inbented it and talked it up on the forum. So to summarize, you need:

LFO => CD4040 => LOGIC => AGGREGATOR => CV => 0.1uF => STIM

That's it.

Les

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost finished the Dual KS module i've been working on , Smile Smile

Need to tweak the vco cv tuning a bit , but it's working cool so far Smile .

I adjusted the sweep of the VCO & VCF by using a resistor on the + pot connections (MN3208 chip pcb 39K & 100K / MN3209 chip 37K & 120K).

I also decided to install the feedback send & receive sockets with the socket switching contacts allowing the feedback circuit when no jacks are plugged in , that caught me out during first switch on , heh Smile Smile .

heres some pics ....

KS back hardware.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.06 KB
 Viewed:  552 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

KS back hardware.JPG

KS with pots & sockets on.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.72 KB
 Viewed:  490 Time(s)

KS with pots & sockets on.JPG

KS working in the modular.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.15 KB
 Viewed:  482 Time(s)

KS working in the modular.JPG

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog:

Very nice!

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave

I love this new build. I am blown away as usual. May I ask what jack types, and part numbers, your using?

Is there any reference on how you make your front panel art? I have been wanting to ask.

Keep up the fine work Dave, VERY impressed as always.

Bill
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great Dave, now I'm extra happy I sent you a second board. As you know, you can not only use the second board as a second voice, but you can use it as a resonator for the first board or for other stuff. The fact that you opened up the feedback path only adds to the possibilities. Well done, can't wait to hear some tunes.

Les

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan ... Thank you , this was fun to build & fine tune Smile read all the pages of this thread if anyone is starting a fresh pcb , lots of handy info Smile.

Bill , Hey thanks Bill .... the jacks are pvc mono switching ones for all CV's & chrome switching ones for audio (same as the rest of the modular) all from Rapid uk electronics, front panel is a sticker , i designed the layout myself on Corel draw programme then took the panel files on a memory stik to my local sign makers shop ,
White printable adhesive vinyl with lazer printed blue ink design giving the impression of a white print ( white ink is available for his big Roland printer but is very expensive to buy in just for my prints)
so it is an inverted print with blue only outline leaving the clean white underneath. Smile Smile
i could have sprayed with a clear laquer but i have found the prints to be quite robust for home only use Smile Smile.

Les ..... i've been getting some crazy sounds from these , my fave is running the MN3209 KS as a bass line with the MN3208 acting as a sub osc both fed from the same cv input Very Happy
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KS SOUNDS....quite nice Smile

Karplus Strong dual seq & drums em.mp3
 Description:
Here is the dual KS running from a RYK m-185 sequencer i built with me playing along with the Roland TD electronic drum kit (some bad drum timing in there :) heh) all sounds from Dual KS apart from the drum kit sounds

Download
 Filename:  Karplus Strong dual seq & drums em.mp3
 Filesize:  4.63 MB
 Downloaded:  1187 Time(s)

KS arpp & twidle em.mp3
 Description:
Dual KS running from an arpp (midi to cv converted) from my Yamaha RM1X hardware sequencer to the vco cv in , while turning KS dials + lfo to vcf cv in

Download
 Filename:  KS arpp & twidle em.mp3
 Filesize:  2.4 MB
 Downloaded:  1191 Time(s)

KS 1 into KS2 feedback loop em.mp3
 Description:
KS 1 into KS 2 feedback loop both running from the same sequencer cv

Download
 Filename:  KS 1 into KS2 feedback loop em.mp3
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Downloaded:  1157 Time(s)

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more sounds

Thanks for having a listen , this is a great project to build ...if you pay attention to the thread , all good Smile Smile Smile

Dave Smile

KS modulated by VCO & lfo em.mp3
 Description:
KS modulated by a MFOS vco at audio freq and beyond into the stim / trig input with fast lfo's on the vcf cv input

Download
 Filename:  KS modulated by VCO & lfo em.mp3
 Filesize:  4.19 MB
 Downloaded:  1156 Time(s)

KS with echobase in FX loop & 4 lfo's em.mp3
 Description:
KS with my diy "Echo-base" delay FX patched into the feedback loop , vc-lfo varies the echobase delay time & pwm pulse from the same lfo to the stim / trig input .........my first impressions was a high altitude cloud of B-17's all riding t

Download
 Filename:  KS with echobase in FX loop & 4 lfo's em.mp3
 Filesize:  3.2 MB
 Downloaded:  1086 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I listened to the first one and the last one so far. The first one is very much a conventional "song" music style to me, being what you could make with plain stringed instruments and drums. The second one starts out like a bunch of propeller airplanes flying overhead in formation, then changes to a helicopter, then a UFO, then crazy weird stuff. I love it! I will return to hear the others another time, thanks Dave!

Les

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave, great looking modules. Also, great sounding tracks. These modules have great potential. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all!

I am a touch confused about the expo "error" described in the thread, regarding pinout for the transistors.

Looking at the parts side of the PCB, with the power connectors at the top, are the transistor pins like this, starting from 9 O'Clock, top trannie far left pin going clockwise: EBCEBC ?

Thanks!

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Peake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And by that, I mean was the schematic corrected per the mistake found a few pages back in this thread?

rosch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as far as i've understood it, they should look like in the picture (Q2 and Q4 turned around).
but i haven't seen an updated schematic yet

DSC02114.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.09 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)

DSC02114.JPG

Peake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tend to see components with all manner of different pinout...of the same type/number. I've seen 2N3904 with entirely different pinout than the ones I got from another store, so a physical representation is good but not "the" solution. I plan to try THAT 340 transistor arrays for a board's two sets of expo trannies. I guess that I have to conclude that the error noted a couple of pages back supercedes the schematic? I'll try that. Thanks, sorry.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry folks, i've been guess where - the hospital - again! eek! I'm good, they just freaked out over a little high blood pressure but they did figure out that my sleep apnea machine needs recalibration. Anyway i'm sprung free out of jail and I've got high priority other work but soon I will delve into this transistor thing and do an updated schematic or whatever is needed to remedy the problem.

Les

p.s. i'm sorry but my time is divided and i am SO VERY THANKFUL for all those who have carried the torch in my absence. Be back on this soon as i can!!!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to see you back Les.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Andy, I'm poked, prodded, injected, dejected, and psychologically wrung out but damn does it feel good to get out of that God-forsaken Hell hole of a hospital! four days without a computer or music! Arrrgh!!

Les

p.s. they kept offering me TELEVISION! ew!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, one note regarding the bjt mixup, it might be me (most likely), it might be a schematic error from the source (unlikely) or it might be an adjustment at the board house (possible but unlikely), but whatever it is you should know this: when you hook a bjt up backwards, what you get is, well, a bad bjt. In other words if you reverse emitter and collector but keep the base connected properly, you just get an out-of-spec, poorly operating bjt but IT WILL STILL WORK OK.

That's why i did testing to a rough degree and didn't really notice. It was good enough for me. But cooler heads prevail and our patient and methodical brethren (especially Kevin) got down to the real cause and stuff. I will get to this and update the schematic as soon as i can.

Les

p.s. in other words, just solder it best you can, it will work if not optimally.

Page 20 of 24 [577 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: