electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
can i use 1% instead of 5% resistors
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cea-six

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: can i use 1% instead of 5% resistors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i made a mistake and soldered in 1% instead of the 5% for 1M, 100k 10k about 22 resistors on the mini synth. can i just go ahead and leave those in and use them or am i gonna have to solder them out again and use the 5%. thanks in advance , el
sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, they are ok. I used 1% resistors in my Soundlab.
loydb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 1% are sufficiently cheap in lots of 100-200 that they're all I keep on hand. I use them everywhere.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only difference is that 1% resistors should be closer to their stated value. A 100K resistor at 1% should be between 99K & 101K. A 100K resistor at 5% might be as low as 95K or as high as 105K.
If a circuit specifies 1% resistors it means the value is critical. If it specifies 5% the value is much less critical and "thereabouts" will do fine. Of course if thereabouts is fine spot-on is fine too. Using 5% when the circuit specifies 1% is where you can have problems - if you are using a resistor as low as 95K when the circuit needs the value to be closer to 100K.
There's no reason to buy 5% resistors except for price and if you're buying by the 100 they tend to be cheap enough to just buy 1% all the time.
ashleym

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you didnt know the % refers to the accuracy of the resistor value. A 5% 100 ohm resister can be anything in the range of 95 to 105 ohms, +/-5%. The 1% have a tighter tolerance, the range should be 99 to 101 ohms or +/-1%.

Hopefully the 1%'ers will match the circuit values but I sure there are cases where a series of, for example, 95, 95, 95 & 95 ohm resistors work but 105, 105, 105 & 105s wont!!

When you really get going you can worry about the resistor type. Will you use carbon or metal film types? Much as people choose ceramic or film caps. Which type of component for the signal path or power/regulation? Some people will say it makes no difference but other will disagree. Look at MacBeth Studio Systems

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/

Quote:
The design philosophy is the the same throughout all my products- to provide the vintage analogue
soundusing as many parts still available now from that golden age. From an engineering point of view,
this is not neccesarily the cheapest way to manufacture these days- but sonically, I think that it is worth it.
I am using thru-hole components- half watt carbon resistors, ceramic and mylar capacitors and where ever
possible I'm using all transistor circuit equivalents to the opamp or opamp/transistor based circuits. So
there is no surface mount parts used within these designs...
...they certainly give a fat sound like this:
cea-six

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats again guys for all ur help
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: