electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Transgendered peoples in electronic music
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TakeshiAndTheKid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Transgendered peoples in electronic music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do we feel about this?

Aside from the wonderful Wendy Carlos who I couldn't find many posts about on this forum. I can't think of any others.

I suppose you could count Genesis P-Orridge if you really want to, but that's a bit different...
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to know a transgendered woman, whom I admired very much for various reasons. I would love to get in touch with her again and continue to be friends.

Among other things, she's an excellent synth musician.

I think she's mentioned here: http://www.queermusicheritage.us/nov2005.html

Find Gwynneth Rhian Morgan on that page.
TakeshiAndTheKid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eee. That page makes me not want to be open as trans at all, something kind of uncomfortable about the vibe of it. I don't want to be associated with mid 90s web design!
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh.

Just be yourself. I think you'll find electro-music a good place to be open about who you are. Wink
Winstontaneous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't think of anyone besides Wendy in the electronic music scene.

In the jazz world, there's bassist Jennifer Leitham, and then there's the fascinating case of Billy Tipton.
Winterbound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally we are all humans - And we should see one another in that way rather than seeing one another in a negative derogatory manner.

Dark December Album

Winterbound on dark ambient radio vol 3
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Winterbound wrote:
Personally we are all humans - And we should see one another in that way rather than seeing one another in a negative derogatory manner.

++! Cool
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TakeshiAndTheKid wrote:
Eee. ... I don't want to be associated with mid 90s web design!

welcome

We feel the same, but everyone is welcome here no matter what kind of web design they like. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.......does that count?
geek

CatchAce

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i donno about famous ones, but theres me, here and now at electro music.

Mr. Green
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"transgendered" seems like one of those tricky labels which are typically foisted upon other people, rarely to refer to oneself.

For example, to a person's friends, family, and other associates - they might think of the person as having changed gender. But to the person who did it, they might just feel they are showing what their true gender has been all along.

My own opinion is that gender is quite fluid, and would even love to go so far as creating new genders entirely! Imagine if next year there were six human genders, each with different levels of inter-compatibility. IMO more choice is better, and it does not hurt anyone. In any just, civilized society I think this sort of thing is recognized as (inter)personal preference.

But old habits die hard. Gender is considered the single most primary status in human relations - the first thing people would notice, and the last thing they would forget. But we live in schizo times were society demands that sex and reproduction are not the same - unless it seems convenient for the social order that they are. The examples are countless... why does a man need to be a good, stable provider if you don't intend to m4yk 84813Z? Why do physical traits play such a selection criteria if we are not reproducing? And one of the most difficult questions, apparently - if sex and reproduction are separate, why would it matter which born gender of person you shack up with? Or marry? The practical reasons put forth by US lawmakers (yes, I have read many of them) basically say that the ethics are those accepted by most people=conservative religious law. So much for my freedom of religion, which doesn't stipulate any such prescriptive nonsense.
dingus

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

transgendered people and electro music go way back
nobody

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read somewhere once that certain scientists have separated sex - physical body traits - from gender - the spectrum of emotional associations with those body traits - and have identified quite a bunch of genders.
XCenter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juergen Kern of german EM project "Traumklang" is Carola Kern now.

http://www.discogs.com/search?q=Traumklang&type=all

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.fmdelight.de/
Werebear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting point there CJ. Have you read Vonnegut "Slaughter House Five"? The Tralfamadoreans are an alien race who recognise six genders in humans, with their genders only being apparent in the "fourth dimension". Different genders included gay men over 60 and infants who had not lived past three months and so on. Vonnegut was a terrible sci fi writer but was a humanist the likes of whom we should all aspire to be.

The most grown up thing we can do is accept ourselves and each other for what and who we are and not listen to the evil old monkey in the hind brain. As musicians we're probably more laid back and accepting than most and we should be pushing that forward through our work and lives, though not the half-assed turning up late for soundcheck bit.

Werebear

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: