electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta Lunacy
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

This idea is...
Brilliant!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stoopid!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Familiar
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Mine, you idea theif!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Destined for destiny
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Inspiring
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Uninspiring
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neato
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Something I will try
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Lunetta Lunacy
Subject description: a synth idea for your consideration
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just thought of this while listening to Rob and chatting in the electro-music chatroom while highly caffeinated and otherwise non-impaird.... a curious synth idea. Maybe not so new, but let's see what you think.

Start with a square wave clock, that's one signal. Delay it with an RC (fixed RC or pot+C or CDS cell + C or whatever), now there are two signals. Put them into a logic gate and we now have three signals. Delay the gate's output to create four signals. Continue adding gates and delays in random haphazard (or structured if you like) fashion making more and more signals. Then start reducing signals by putting them into logic gates until you have just one (or two for stereo). Possibly mix expansions and contractions all throughout the network. Add feedback in random places too. There you have it, a Loony Lunetta!

Is it good, is it neato, is it fun? You decide!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took a few hours this morning to code up an example in ChucK. It is very Lunetta-ish and has a slightly stereo effect due to the dual outputs sent to the left and right channels. It is feedforward only with two layers of logic. It has gradually sweeping potentiometers, imitating a CDS cell approach with a hand moving slowly across the surface blocking light.

Interestingly in my first attempt i got a much better sound with a pronounced stereo effect but it turned out that I had implemented clipping differential amplifiers. Maybe that's really the place to go with this thing...

Les

LunettaLunacy1.ck
 Description:
The ChucK file

Download
 Filename:  LunettaLunacy1.ck
 Filesize:  2.34 KB
 Downloaded:  581 Time(s)

LunettaLunacy1.mp3
 Description:
The audio sample (30 seconds)

Download
 Filename:  LunettaLunacy1.mp3
 Filesize:  474.37 KB
 Downloaded:  1256 Time(s)

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pretty cool concept and the audio does sound interesting. Personally I like my lunetta's as bit chewing pattern generators where interesting is more important then soundquality.

As a lunetta module it's a little overkill but maybe the concept can be used in other designs? Either way, thanks for posting.

noise
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
As a lunetta module it's a little overkill but maybe the concept can be used in other designs? Either way, thanks for posting.

Ah, noice comment, tjookum, thanks so much! I can add this one and it's opamp counterpart to my collection of circuits for use in the products that 1:11 and I develop.

Les

1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy i think you're on to something here!! Very Happy

Especially if you can have the gates timed in a way to make it easy to work into music..

Very interesting concept to me! Cool
Psyingo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats a really nice sound! id like to hear the starting clock play a sequence or soemthing. i can imagine it though. !
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
pretty cool concept and the audio does sound interesting. Personally I like my lunetta's as bit chewing pattern generators where interesting is more important then soundquality.

OK, so you have blessed the audio as sounding 'interesting'.... and proclaimed 'interesting' as 'more important than sound quality'. Question Is this not a pattern generator?

What I find 'interesting' is that perhaps if what has been described here, (fixed RC or pot+C or CDS cell + C or whatever), came ready built on an IC beginning with 4XXX, and all you needed to add was a few pull down resistors (the unwritten 100K standard) and some 'blinkies', this would be hailed as the next Melody Generator and NOT 'overkill'!

This 'Lunetta' notion of 'no rules' and 'experimentation' seems to have a few Luddites attached to it acting like self-appointed bouncers on the door of an exclusive club upholding a rigourous dress code.

I'm waiting for Stan to start socketing transistors and patching with diodes or something. Could do with some Lemming spotting!

"Art needs and operation" - Tristan Tzara
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well now we're all good friends here so let's not ruffle each other's feathers and all that but I will address the simplicity question. The total parts count is four two-input gates, one inverter, and i think three RC filters. NOt much really, the patterns come from the fact that I have all three pots continuously spinning in random directions at random speeds.

Oh, and I guess I'll also mention that the opamp-ish version sounded SO much like a real drone with smooth wavy sounds if that's a description, the sound travelled inside my head from one place to another and so on. If I were going to build this I'd do a n opamp version with LEDs in the feedback loops to shape the transfer function. And yes, that would be "interesting" (evil grin!)

Peace my brothers!

Les

Psyingo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it really is an interesting sound les. i think a lot of the people here especially in this forum would like to see a schem to maybe fully understand it. thats with anything, people don't seem to get things until it's fully visualised in front of them.. but i can understand if you don't wanna schem it up. op amp version would be nice too Very Happy
Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a nice sound. Not totally unlike a synced oscillator or PWM though the "breakup" is a little different.

It probably wouldn't be something I would have enough interest to feel motivated to build, but who cares what I would do? Laughing

The little "burbling," is that a product of the MP3 compression, or the synth?

Minus, chill bro. If there are "lunetta purists," I think you can count them on the fingers of one hand.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: