electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
How to sen non-audio and non-MIDI data outside of Pd/Max-MSP
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Pasto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: How to sen non-audio and non-MIDI data outside of Pd/Max-MSP Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Is it possible to create a PureData or Max/MSP patch sending non audio and non MIDI data (for example, an alphanumerical caracter) to an other application ?

For example : to make a patch running in background, converting a C3 MIDI into the letter "A", and then sending this letter to the active application, being different from Max or Pd (for example Word).
In Pure Data, I heard about the command : tof/from_ascii_code, that could be combined to an API between the patch and the target application.
What I would like to do in send the letter "somewhere in the system", i.e. it is avalaible by any application without needing a dedicated API for that application, but maybe a "universal API", that keep the keyboard order in a buffer in direct and continuous acces for the active application. I think it's possible, Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI stroke do it : a MIDI order is converted into a keyboard order, immediately accessible for any active applicatioN.

Could you help me to understand how this work ?

Thank you !
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There,

I am not sure if there is a direct way.

But for an indirect way you could use the rather excellent osculator http://www.osculator.net/

You can send OSC to it and tell it to send keystrokes along with loads of very useful stuff.

Cheers

Andy
Pasto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Yes exactly, I use Oscullator+Bome's MIDI translator and it works perfect. In fact I'm trying to do partly the same kind of thing in Max or Pd, i.e. routing MIDI order into keystroke for all active application.

It looks like it's not so obvious, as Pd doesn't output any keystroke "in core version". I guess its the same for Max... ?
Do you thing this could be possible in theroy, using for example Java or an other langage, coupled to Pd/Max patch ?

Thanks
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know anything about pd.

For Max there is some info here http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=15623
Pasto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I will check.

Bye
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: