electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Backlog Free "Special Timbral Generator" DIY
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [69 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
questionable

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can get everything worked out, I'd be in for a PCB or two as well.
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amnesia wrote:
I am interested in PCBs, parts and or faceplate completed or not if it looks and fits into Buchla boats Smile This has been a dream for me to play on a 259 Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSddgYKtPBE
tlu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely interested in some boards!!!
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

surprise
oberkorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for a board or two

Looks like I need more Rogan knobs... soon
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in one or two as well, especially if it's a bare or mostly bare PC. I pretty much have all of the original parts in stock including the obsolete ones. (through hole, anyway Wink ).
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing from phdinfunk since February 18. I'm starting to think this project might not happen...
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ohm...
inform3r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree with sduck on this one... Doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. Sad
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Debugging...
Subject description: Troubleshooting is a really complex process....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not "not going to happen" but yes, going unfortunately slow.

I'm definitely still working on this one, still got a board on the bench, and still trying to make it happen. Am about to bring someone else (or two) into the project to help out our original duo because I want to get this finished sometime soon.

I don't know if you'd prefer to be kept abrest of things blow by blow or if you'd prefer to just hear a little here and there until I tell you it's done and ready for public consumption.

--JP
tlu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely interested in this if it fits into a Buchla 200e boat. Thanks for taking the 259 on.
KEYKEYEYEKIT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope this happens, really interested in a board or two.
hv0190

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds interesting - should it really happen I'd be in for two boards.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These boards are finally completed, calibrated, tested.

Here are some sound clips:

1) The basic sampling of those famous 259 sounds. I switch different kinds of modulation and change the frequencies of both oscs. I twist mod index and all the different settings on the wavefolder. There's nothing but the 259 and its raw output going on here.

At 4:17, I add cross synchronization. Of course, you could go on for days with all this. I decided to stop the clip and do some more organized sounds to give people an idea of what a 259 actually does.

https://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/twisting-a-lot-of-knobs

2) There is a lot of confusion about what the Symmetry system does on this synth. Here you can hear the Symmetry Control go from all even harmonics, though a saw-ish waveform, to all odd harmonics. Many harmonically rich "plain" waveforms exist between these settings.

Order and Timbre at 100%

https://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/symmetry-sweep-order-100

3) Timbre control at 100% so you can hear what "order" does. It fades from the plain waveform (Symmetry Control) to the wavefolded waveform. If you set Timbre at 0%, you are always getting a low harmonic waveform (sine). Check the panel of a music easel and you will see this labelled pretty well.

Order swept with Sym at 50 ("Saw" like) then at 100 ("odd") then at 0 ("even") then at 50 again.

https://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/order-sweep

4) This is the Timbre sweep of the raw waveform from Symmetry control. Very nice for simple synth sounds fading from a sine into a high harmonic waveform. So, with The wavefolder mix set to 0%, Timbre will simply sweep from a sine to a wave like a square or a wave like a saw. Again, see the music easel for a bit more clarity on this.

Sym 50 ("Saw" like) Sym 100 ("Odd") Sym 0 ("Even") and then Sym back to 50.

https://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/timbre-sweep-order-high

5) Symmetry is at 50% (Saw-like wave).

First sweep, order is "High" so you get the plain waveform. Second Sweep, order is at 50% so you get a mixture between the plain wave and the wavefolder. Third Sweep, Order is "low" so everything is wavefolder. So, order controls mix between raw clean waves and folded waves.

https://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/timbre-sweep-with-wavefolder

I hope this clears up any confusion about what these controls actually do. I have seen a lot of odd theories throughout the years.

I believe that a lot of people want to hear some sequences and tweaking or EG applied to different parts, so I have a step sequencer on the way, and a very nice MIDI to CV as well. I should have those sounds up in a week or so.

--JP

coolsynths.com

Last edited by phdinfunk on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
oberkorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome! it's finally happening!
it sounds good to me Smile
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should PM me. I have some overrun.

I'm also phdinfunk everywhere in the world, including the world's most popular not-evil email service.

-=JP=-
www.coolsynths.com
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And bottom line, yes, they are expensive. I'm offering a few to DIYers here, just because my original intent was a DIY project for all. But at the end of the day, building them the way I have is not any cheaper for me than just building a completed synthesizer.

As a synth or module, it would be a great deal (compared to saaay, buying two triangle core oscs, a modulation VCA, and a waveshaper) but as DIY, it looks expensive. Though compared to boards plus parts kits for everything there, it's not so expensive.

I know someone else with a bare PCB project, if that's what you'd rather have, you can PM me and ask.

--JP

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [69 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: