electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Love this sequencer - one little problem has me stumped
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
echoer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:  Love this sequencer - one little problem has me stumped
Subject description: Step 1 always outputs to Bus 2
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Every time the sequencer is in the first step, it outputs the gate and trigger to the B Gate bus regardless of which way the switch is telling it should go. The other steps work properly and output to wherever the switch is telling it to.

- tested the switch multiple times
- quadruple checked wiring to the switch

High quality parts used throughout. CD____BE ICs were used throughout.

Other than a couple wiring harness issues this build went smooth. Any ideas as to what could be going on here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

freestatefx.com
echoer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some more experimentation the Stage 1 Programming Pot changes the CV for the entire sequence acting like a Master Tune Pot.

I assume both of these problems are related. Bad IC?

freestatefx.com
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judging by the schematics, check the signal path of Stage 1:

Analog Board:

- swap U1 and U2 and check if that makes a difference. If it's a chip problem, and Stage 9 was working before, then Stage 1 should work now and Stage 9 should stop working. Also check to make sure U1 is properly seated and that there aren't any pins bent underneath. This happens!

- the gate bus for Stage 1 goes to J2 on the Analog board. Check diode D13 for the proper orientation.

- check for shorts in and around D13, J2 and pin 13 of U1

Digital Board:

- check for shorts around J6, namely pin 8.

echoer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks Sneak. Tried your recommendations. No luck.

Swapped U1 and U2 and double checked proper alignment in the sockets

D13 is properly aligned and tested

Checked for shorts around D13, J2 and pin 13 of U1 on the Analog Board; J6 on the Digi. All good according to my eyes and multimeter.

I'll keep probing. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Arghhh.

freestatefx.com
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the pot for Stage 1? Is it wired properly? Is the pot working?
echoer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep yep. Checked that as well. I disconnected all the headers and checked the board again. I will go through the wiring one more time, but I checked everything with the multimeter to check my connectors the first time I assembled it. Maybe I will find something this time.

BTW, listening to the live a Club Moo. It is great!

freestatefx.com
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that is a weird one!

When stage 1 is not active, do the other stages work normally (voltage output and gate bus output)?

Cheerios,
Scott

Edit:

Quote:
The other steps work properly and output to wherever the switch is telling it to.

Never mind..... Laughing

Last edited by Scott Stites on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I take it, when Stage 1 is active, the stage 1 pot affects the other pots, and Stage 1 generates an output on Bus B. Sooo...two more questions:

First of all, turn Stage 1 on and set all of the other stages to off, and load that pattern so only Stage 1 is active. Do not clock the Klee, let Stage 1 remain on.

1. Does stage 1 also generate a gate bus event on Bus A regardless of the gate bus switch position (if it's set to B, does it generate a gate on the A output?)? You can tell by measuring the A and B bus outputs. If you're set to 'A' on Stage 1, the B Gate Output (normally) should be 0V or so. As you report, it will probably be either +5 or +10V. Switch the Bus to B and look at the Gate A output - it should be low (around 0V). If it is high, then Stage 1 is erroneously affecting both Gate Buses equally.

2. When Stage 1 is active, does it light any of the other Stage LEDs that should be off?

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Final hail mary before I sign off:

With the connectors connected to the PCBs.....

1. Turn the power off and measure the resistance between the top connection of the Stage 1 pot and the top connection of the Stage 2 pot. Let me know what the measured resistance is.

2. Measure the resistance between the center tap of the Stage 1 pot and the center tap of the stage 2 pot. Let me know what the measured resistance is.

3. Measure the resistance of the 'bottom' tap of the Stage 1 pot and the 'bottom' tap of the Stage 2 pot. These should read close to zero ohms - this is the common ground connection between the pots. Let me know what the measured resistance is.

4. Measure the resistance of the 'bottom' tap of the Stage 1 pot and ground. Again, this should be very low resistance. Let me know what the measured resistance is.

echoer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott. Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I will get it wired back together tomorrow and get some answers for you. Can't wait to get this Klee rollin' properly. Talk to you soon.

freestatefx.com
echoer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixed. There was an error at Pin 8 of the P106/P202 wiring harness. Works perfectly now. Thanks to Scott and Sneak!

freestatefx.com
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: