electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
PIC based Arpeggiator (Boards available)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Boogdish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: PIC based Arpeggiator (Boards available) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everybody,

I haven't updated my website about this yet, but I've got boards coming in for some arpeggiators and thought ya'll would like to know. I just finished typing up some documentation on it:

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/arpeggiator/Arpeggiator%20documentation%201.pdf

And a quickly done sound sample:
http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/mp3s/arpeggiator%20sample.mp3

In that sample, I'm cycling first through the different note sets, then movement types, then range, then adjusting tempo, then adjusting PWM of gate output.

If you don't want to wade through that pdf, here's the quick version:
This is not a keyboard scanning Arpeggiator. The PIC plays a pre-selected set of notes which is summed with an input voltage. Controls are available for which notes are played and in what order.

There is an internal clock to provide timing. When used with an external clock, the clock control becomes a division control.

In addition to outputting CV, the clock outputs a trigger signal and a PWM-able gate signal on every tick.

I'm selling 1 board and 1 chip for $20 plus shipping ($2 US, $3 worldwide). I ship USPS first class. Any customs fees/tariffs are the responsibility of the purchaser.

Right now I'm only taking pre-sales, I will not charge anyone until I have boards in hand, ready to ship. To reserve a board, e-mail me at Michael@bartonmusicalcircuits.com

Last edited by Boogdish on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this looks just fantastic!
well done Surprised
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are the notes selected? Or, what kind of interface is possible for inputting notes? Forgive me, I read your document, but I didn't see this information.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What part number do you recommend for the shotkey diodes?
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

put me down for one please
brother303

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Michael,

cooool project! afro

Preorder sent...

And one question : Can this unit run on +/- 12V?

Thanks and best regards
Greg
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you add spots for ferrite beads on the power lines? That way the module won't introduce any RF noise into other modules.
Smile

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ordering one Cool

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Email reservation sent... Exclamation

Sounds like an exciting project. I was wondering, however, what the clicky type sound was on the sound example.

Haven't torn into the docs yet either, but thumb up

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...running this through a quantizer is going to be cool, too. Very Happy
Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should have stated earlier also that this project wouldn't have happened if Peake hadn't suggested it, so thanks a lot Peake! This was a great idea!

ericcoleridge wrote:
How are the notes selected? Or, what kind of interface is possible for inputting notes? Forgive me, I read your document, but I didn't see this information.

You don't actually pick the individual notes of the arpeggio, it's always relative to whatever note is being inputted to "CV IN." You would take the CV out from your keyboard and input to the "CV IN" of the arpeggiator. The PIC's output would be summed with this and the result would be an arpeggio of the note inputted. What type of arpeggio (major, minor, etc) is selected by the "note set" control. So, to do a C major arpeggio, you'd hit C on your keyboard and turn the note set control all the way to the left.

Does that answer your question? I'm not sure I understood your meaning.

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
What part number do you recommend for the shotkey diodes?

In my prototype I used an SD101C.

brother 303 wrote:
Can this unit run on +/- 12V?

Yes. No modifications needed.

wmonk wrote:
Can you add spots for ferrite beads on the power lines? That way the module won't introduce any RF noise into other modules.
Smile

Gaa!! I knew I forgot something. If I sell all of this first run of boards, I'll add that in the next round. On the documentation, I'll add instructions for kludging those in, which will be easy.

emdot_ambient wrote:
I was wondering, however, what the clicky type sound was on the sound example.

I haven't tracked it down exactly yet, but it's an intermittent problem with my recording set up. It can be frustrating.[/quote]
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boogdish wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:
I was wondering, however, what the clicky type sound was on the sound example.

I haven't tracked it down exactly yet, but it's an intermittent problem with my recording set up. It can be frustrating.

Ah...I've got one of those that I was never able to track down. Unfortunately it's on my main music PC. Actually it appears to be a conflict between my graphics and sound cards, but have never been able to cure it. So that PC has been dedicated strictly to soft synth recording...no live sound recording Crying or Very sad Will have to find a different solution once my modular's up and running.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, reserved mine Cool This this saved me a bunch of time as I have been wanting to code up an arpeggiator for analog synthesizers.

Nice work !

Bill
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes please for 1 pcb & programmed chip.

Great , i have a space in the modular for this Smile Smile

Dave.
befacosynth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1
befacosynth((at))gmail.com
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Great , i have a space in the modular for this

Dave, if you didn't have space, I KNOW you would make some pal Laughing

Bill
xpmtl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll take one set as well.

Poor backlog Razz

decaying.sine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1, emailed you.
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emailed for 1 thumb up
skylab76

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks fantastic!
Requested 1 PCB+1 chip via email.
Thanks !!
brother303

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Boogdish,

would it be possible to add a "chord-mode" (like the Toppobrillo Quantimator)?

e.g. 1x CV-in > 3(4)x CV-out to put out the root-note + two additional cvs to form a chord. Would be awesome!

Wink

Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brother, I'm planning on doing chording with my "deluxe quantizer" project, which has been in the works for awhile. The current plan is to have one master board for the quantizer which is used to create/store/select scales and chord shapes and then sends out digital information to slave boards which do the actual voltage processing. This way people can build as big or small as they want and can have decentralized voltage processing.

I should be getting Arpeggiator boards in this week, thanks everybody for your pre-orders.
brother303

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Boogdish wrote:
Brother, I'm planning on doing chording with my "deluxe quantizer" project, which has been in the works for awhile.

wave thanks

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any update on these? Cool
Boogdish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about the delay everyone. I was told a month ago that it would be 10 days turnaround on getting boards in, and I'm still waiting. I consider myself a patient person but I'm really getting annoyed by this.

The first batch has all been pre-sold. If you want in on the next batch or want to be wait listed in case someone cancels, you're welcome to e-mail me or PM me.

Thanks everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: