electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Midi controlled midi switch?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
torsig1967

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Midi controlled midi switch?
Subject description: 2 input / 1 output design, does it exist?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know if there exists a unit wich does something like this:

Imagine 2 midi in A and B and one midi out C.

Midi Input A is normally routed to Midi Output C
Midi Input B will block the Input A to Output C throughput if some kind of specified message (certain program change or control change) is recieved.

Or simply put a "midi controlled midi switch".
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, there are lots of boxes that do this. I don't know of any still being made - Midi Solutions might have something that will work for you:
http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

Otherwise, you can go on ebay and search for midi switches, routers, or patch bays. They used to be easy to find, but now you might have to be a little patient. Should be able to find one for about $50.

torsig1967

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks but Midisolutions don't have anything like that. I've also some searches on eBay but never found a box that does this. Most routers and switches has one input only,

egw wrote:
Sure, there are lots of boxes that do this. I don't know of any still being made - Midi Solutions might have something that will work for you:
http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

Otherwise, you can go on ebay and search for midi switches, routers, or patch bays. They used to be easy to find, but now you might have to be a little patient. Should be able to find one for about $50.
rAC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You do realise MIDISolutions will design a box to your specs if you want them to and from your posting I would have thought you could use an event processor plus to solve it (possibly in combination with a merge box).

Anyhow they seem to be the only people interested in new MIDI stuff, old MOTU Timepieces are also a possibility (beware of driver problems though).
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a feeling that you don't want to depend on having a laptop handy for this, but I just want to say that this kind of stuff is very easy to do in ChucK. I could do it for you if you don't want to get into coding. It's probably trivial in Max/MSP, Supercollider etc too.

/Stefan

torsig1967

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I have a feeling that you don't want to depend on having a laptop handy for this, but I just want to say that this kind of stuff is very easy to do in ChucK. I could do it for you if you don't want to get into coding. It's probably trivial in Max/MSP, Supercollider etc too.

/Stefan

Thanks but no laptop.
I kind of solved it using Event Processor and two midi merge but it's not a perfect solution.
Bryan B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you checked out Highly Liquid MSA-R kits yet? All you would have to do is wire it up and use the learn button to program what midi action triggers the 8 switches. There is freeware to program it with more specific tasks as well eg. one input connects and the other disconnects on the same note.

http://highlyliquid.com/midi-decoders/msa-r/

The documentation is good and the kits are easy enough (now that you don't have to solder everything on the PCB). The forums or an e-mail can help you figure stuff out too.
torsig1967

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bryan B wrote:
Have you checked out Highly Liquid MSA-R kits yet? All you would have to do is wire it up and use the learn button to program what midi action triggers the 8 switches. There is freeware to program it with more specific tasks as well eg. one input connects and the other disconnects on the same note.

http://highlyliquid.com/midi-decoders/msa-r/

The documentation is good and the kits are easy enough (now that you don't have to solder everything on the PCB). The forums or an e-mail can help you figure stuff out too.

It's a midi stream I want to switch. Would that work. I get the impression it's for analog signals.
Bryan B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has 8 relay switches, that can connect 8 signals (or not). I have used it for creating gates, chopping audio, routing signals, pausing a DIN Sync clock and even mixing 8 different modulation sources. I am sure that switching Midi signals would be no big deal.

You could do some internet research on which type of switch is best of the 3 available (photo relay, reed relay or Transistor).
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: