electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
So I bought an A6 recently......
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:  So I bought an A6 recently...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I am starting to think this synth might be the best purchase I have ever made outside of guitar equipment. Its mint/near mint and sound incredible just through my normal computer speakers even......simply WOW and in my opinion very easy to use with intuitive interface for even a beginner synth player to work with.

Anyhow anyone have recommendations on the following

1) Where can I find a Andromeda A6 multi set for Logic Environment?

I CANNOT manually enter all the program names please for the love of GOD.

2) Why can't I just record the synth direct in Logic and bounce performances to a file? I can use the synth as a controller for vst , play it live as midi instrument and record it's direct sounds including midi command. I cannot take that recorded sound from the synth directly and record it to a project for example that retains all the patches sounds and midi commands from the filters/mod wheel etc

If it helps i'm connecting through a Roland Cakewalk UM-1G directly to the USB of my iMac and also on my MacBook

This synth rules
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for all the info on the A6 by the way i've been lurking this forum for awhile now and it's full of useful info for the chosen few who have this synth

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

....in the darkness it will Beckon to you!

The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this forum is ON FIRE! later people ill continue to just lurk as noone posts here
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Guess you scare 'm all away ... welcome, but sorry don't have any knowledge really on the stuff you brought up here.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Laughing Guess you scare 'm all away ... welcome, but sorry don't have any knowledge really on the stuff you brought up here.

Laughing Yeah, unfortunately, automating any non-VST synth in a DAW is a PITA, so I don't tend to do it. Therefore, I'm not really qualified to comment on what you are asking. Most of my A6 usage is manually played.
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doesn't that pic of my A6 look hot?

hello people who responded
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

this gif is me while playing the Tarkus solo Exclamation

Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using an A6 with logic but I'm only learning them so don't really know what you're asking about...

However, a quick googling found
this and this

Don't know if they're quite what you're looking for but they might give you pointers.

Logic can be a bit odd recording midi commands but it can certainly do it. I recorded filter changes, program changes and it played them back fine.

BTW Have a look at "A6 tricks and tips" linked in this forum. Lots of good stuff in there.

Hope that helps.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the Andromeda in the dark looks very mysterious and sexy... Smile

The Andromeda is a primadonna. She has a very beautiful voice, but, when it comes to interaction with a computer, she´s basically like an old hag.

There are several preset management programs for the A6, but nothing fancy, I´m sorry to say. That said, I can recommend the Banker for the A6, http://www.mk2software.com/banker/forums.html

And as you probably know, there is no support and development at all from Alesis or Numark or whatever.

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:
I'm using an A6 with logic but I'm only learning them so don't really know what you're asking about...

However, a quick googling found
this and this

Don't know if they're quite what you're looking for but they might give you pointers.

Logic can be a bit odd recording midi commands but it can certainly do it. I recorded filter changes, program changes and it played them back fine.

BTW Have a look at "A6 tricks and tips" linked in this forum. Lots of good stuff in there.

Hope that helps.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/333417-andromeda-logic.html

hey thanks and yea the first link you gave above is exactly what I meant by multi-set but I still can't find it anywhere on the net

its a file that contains all the sound/program banks names formatted for logic - I downloaded a bunch of them from SFLogic Ninja on youtube but he doesn't have a set for alesis a6

thanks for the response
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purpurkatten wrote:
Yeah, the Andromeda in the dark looks very mysterious and sexy... Smile

The Andromeda is a primadonna. She has a very beautiful voice, but, when it comes to interaction with a computer, she´s basically like an old hag.

There are several preset management programs for the A6, but nothing fancy, I´m sorry to say. That said, I can recommend the Banker for the A6, http://www.mk2software.com/banker/forums.html

And as you probably know, there is no support and development at all from Alesis or Numark or whatever.

Even with all the negatives I feel pretty good about buying the A6 after hearing it....

Im finding it easy to connect the A6 to Logic and record all the commands etc from a performance.

The problem is then trying to take ALL of the audio and midi commands together and then have it reside strictly in Logic as audio within a project.

For example right now to allow playback in Logic from a recorded performance I have to have the A6 on and running the program. Logic REQUIRES the A6 to generate the sounds etc it finds contained within the project file. If I switch the program on the A6 it will run the same recorded set of commands in Logic but using the newly selected sound.

Im still really new to this but love the sound which is the most important part.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Get a 2MB SRam card without attribute, adds 8 extra banks of storage, it will make life easier

why can't you send a patch change command?
Mefistophelees

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As CoolColJ says you can do it with patch change commands:

In logic make sure theres a few bars of nothing before you start playing.
Hit record then hit the number of the sound you're on. Logic will hear this and record it. When you play back the A6 will jump to the correct sound. The nothingness means you can have this command before you start playing. You can also do this a middle of a track though.

The Zombie Holocaust wrote:
Im still really new to this but love the sound which is the most important part.

I'm fairly new to it myself but I completely agree. The A6 can be a bit temperamental but the sound is amazing.

The A6 is incredibly powerful but there can be some gotchas. The previous owner of my A6 had switched MIDI off and set the keyboard velocity fixed at 127. They had me scratching my head for a while, but the manual is very good and I soon had it fixed.

I also discovered the A6 can throw wobblers sometimes and just not work right. Some knobs just stopped working one day. I'm still not sure why but I later discovered it'll do similar things if I connected it to another synth (a Kawai K1) that appears to spew out bad MIDI data.

Now I know all this I'm still perfectly happy I bought it.
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolColJ wrote:
Get a 2MB SRam card without attribute, adds 8 extra banks of storage, it will make life easier

why can't you send a patch change command?

heynow yea I am looking into getting a Sram card as we speak

i can send a patch change command

what I am trying to do is take the performance from the A6 and make it reside COMPLETELY within logic as an audio file

so right now I can record a performance including all the midi info but logic REQUIRES the A6 to be there to generate the sound

I want to be able to take my performance and bounce it down etcetc
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:
As CoolColJ says you can do it with patch change commands:

In logic make sure theres a few bars of nothing before you start playing.
Hit record then hit the number of the sound you're on. Logic will hear this and record it. When you play back the A6 will jump to the correct sound. The nothingness means you can have this command before you start playing. You can also do this a middle of a track though.

I'm fairly new to it myself but I completely agree. The A6 can be a bit temperamental but the sound is amazing.

The A6 is incredibly powerful but there can be some gotchas. The previous owner of my A6 had switched MIDI off and set the keyboard velocity fixed at 127. They had me scratching my head for a while, but the manual is very good and I soon had it fixed.

I also discovered the A6 can throw wobblers sometimes and just not work right. Some knobs just stopped working one day. I'm still not sure why but I later discovered it'll do similar things if I connected it to another synth (a Kawai K1) that appears to spew out bad MIDI data.

Now I know all this I'm still perfectly happy I bought it.

I am pretty much new to synth music - i have classic training using pianos but more for solfege than performance

I am finding so many complentary uses for the A6 with guitar tracks I am using - seriously high quality sound - incredibly thick and lifelike

Im amazed they dont make these anymore
DSkies

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject:  I also bought an a6 recently.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a6 is my first synth, ever. i've a few years of piano in my background, but am looking to start composing synth music.

in perusing this forum, i gather there can be some pitfalls and complications with regard to getting the full-functionality of the a6's MIDI output to work well in a software package. (As a complete novice, i'm starting with GarageBand, but will likely upgrade into Logic in the future). QUESTION: is the m-audio UNO ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Uno.html ) gonna work for connecting the a6 to a macbook pro? If not, what will? I have no other instruments, mixers or anything at the moment and probably won't for awhile -- just the a6 and macbook.

thanks for advice, and please excuse the simple question! Cool
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: I also bought an a6 recently.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DSkies wrote:
QUESTION: is the m-audio UNO ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Uno.html ) gonna work for connecting the a6 to a macbook pro?

It should work. I connected my A6 to various MIDI interfaces and it worked with all of them without problem. Andromeda doesn't have any special demands on MIDI interfaces ...

Last edited by hrastprogrammer on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mefistophelees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I also bought an a6 recently.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DSkies wrote:
a6 is my first synth, ever. i've a few years of piano in my background, but am looking to start composing synth music.

You're in for some fun! The A6 is a very complex beast, it probably isn't the best beginners synth. You might want to try playing around with a simple soft synth first to get to understand the main concepts. Once you understand synthesis and how to use synths in general, you'll find the A6 is actually pretty easy to use.

Quote:
in perusing this forum, i gather there can be some pitfalls and complications with regard to getting the full-functionality of the a6's MIDI output to work well in a software package. (As a complete novice, i'm starting with GarageBand, but will likely upgrade into Logic in the future).

You're probably doing the right thing. Logic is another complex best. I'm still learning it.

Quote:
QUESTION: is the m-audio UNO ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Uno.html ) gonna work for connecting the a6 to a macbook pro? If not, what will?

It should work with any MIDI interface but luckily enough I have an UNO and it works fine with the A6.

[/quote]I have no other instruments, mixers or anything at the moment and probably won't for awhile -- just the a6 and macbook.[/quote]

I got everything at once ...and I'm learning to play at the same time - not a good idea!

It's taking a while but I'm getting there. I took a week off work to figure out how to get everything working and record a track. Turned out to be a very fruitful exercise.

I've been interested in synths, and music in general for many years so I have a lot of background knowledge I've picked up. If you're completely new to this it must be quite scary. There is so much to learn.

But there's a of lot of help, I've watched no end of YouTube videos, DVDs read web sites, forums etc.
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have literally just gotten to the halfway point in reading the manual since buying , holy fawk this thing is awesome

I was having so much fun last night using the FM modulation between the oscillators and sending it to the filter

killer
Mefistophelees

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy fawk this thing is awesome

I've hardly scratched the surface of what it can do but yea, it's awesome.

Quote:
I was having so much fun last night using the FM modulation between the oscillators and sending it to the filter

I tried PWM on Osc 2 that FM's Osc 1 which in turn syncs Osc 2. Add in some filter feed back and you get an, er, interesting sound...
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: