electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
MIDI to CV
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rudypoochris

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: MIDI to CV
Subject description: Looking for a simple DIY design or a cheap kit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know where to find a cheap kit or a completely DIY MIDI to CV setup? I am ideally looking for a MIDI to CV converter I can build from a PCB kit that doesn't cost more than $50. Thanks!
vanpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DIY http://www.acoupel.com/MIDI%20CV%20Gate/intro_midi%20cv%20gate.htm
rudypoochris

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh thanks! Any clue where I could get a simple PCB like that made?
the_ufo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm also looking for a simple (but mainly CHEAP) midi to CV circuit. Seems to me, any DIY synth should be able to be controlled via midi, or it's not a synth at all merely a randomized noise generator.

I don't understand the specifics of MIDI, and i'm a total noob with eletctronics (appart from my education) but perhaps a PIC microcontroller could be made to do this for us!!! I'll keep searching through the site though.

EDIT: I just learned that "the Basic Stamp II and IIsx are generally considered fast enough for MIDI transmission applications, but neither supports MIDI input satisfactorily." lame!
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the Paia MIDI-to-CV converter:

http://paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9700K&cat=12

Of course, "cheap" is a relative term... it costs around $100 and it has worked dependably for me.

2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Marc Bareille does a couple of midi to cv convertors:

http://m.bareille.free.fr/mcv628/mcv628.html

18 euros for pcb or artwork is there to press and peel your own. Sorce code for pic there too.

More complex 2/4 voice poly mode model here

http://m.bareille.free.fr/mcv876/mcv876.html

35 euro for pcb and programmed pic

Allan
the_ufo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks alot "2thick4uni". Great link, and I'll save this thread. I am wondering though is this the way most people do it?
I'd imagine most people have a synth which can send CV from midi, which they can use to program their loops from, or just a soft-touch smooth turning potentiometer for playing live.
egasimus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, a synth can be controlled from a keyboard, and not necessarily a MIDI one. But indeed, in the context of popular-ish (as opposed to experimental-ish) music production an analog synth doesn't go far without MIDI control.

The Basic Stamp is dead stuff. Check this page on some microcontroller development boards. What's most popular is the Arduino - pretty simple to get started with, too. There's a tons of projects involving the Arduino, and you'll probably find that someone has already built exactly the same thing (or at least something similar enough for you to use parts of their code).

On a side note, see how no PIC board is reviewed Very Happy Where I live (and that's Bulgaria, a country with less the population of NYC), there is something of a PIC vs AVR war (since the market is too small for less popular chips to be readily available and therefore popular among hobbyists), and I've heard too much hate for PICs' silly architecture. If anyone were just starting out with microcontrollers, I'd recommend AVR any time.
Pantheon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built my Midi 2 CV converter with an arduino, its plenty fast enough for midi input. In total it would physical cost very little, maby like £10. But having to get a £20 arduino board, or an isp programer could be prohibitive. Even the PWM output is accurate enough to use for the output so that no expensive DAC is required.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: