electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
new MBP?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject:  new MBP?
Subject description: will need Intel music software
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My 1GHz TiG4 is having hardware problems that are getting worse. So this week I'm planning on getting a 2.0GHz 15" MBP with an anti-glare screen. I can't justify getting the 2.2 or 2.3 GHz models, as this expense wasn't planned.

Has anyone heard anything bad, why I shouldn't buy one?

Not only will I be moving from 10.4 to 10.6, I'll be moving from PPC to Intel. So I will need to update or replace all my music software.

I'm going to lose Spark XL Sad It's was a great program, but unfortunately TC gave up on it a long time ago. So I will need an editor. I'm thinking maybe Reaper. Although I'm still going to lose all the excellent noise reduction and mastering plug-ins Sad

I plan on getting back into Numerology. It's an excellent sequencer, but I dropped out of the program when I didn't have enough power to run it and use my 2882 at the same time.

I won't miss Logic, as I stopped using it many years ago. Worst $1000 I ever spent Mad

Do you think SoundHack will still work?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundhack doesn't work (well the copy I have doesn't).

Shame you don't like Logic. It costs one heck of a lot less than it used to and is a massive improvement over the old version.

Spark was good, but Amadeus Pro is even better! (and cheaper!)

Once you play with 10.6 you'll wonder how you ever coped with the buggy and sluggish 10.4 (10.3 was a far superior OS, and 10.5 beats all of them except it's 10.6 now).

Buy one?

YES!!!

Get a Mac Mini if you can't afford a MBP. I have a Mac Mini. This Mac Mini. It was a bloody bargain, and is a workhorse!! (and it's SILENT!) Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Soundhack doesn't work (well the copy I have doesn't).

Crap Confused

I've done sets with tracks produced almost entirely with SoundHack.

v-un-v wrote:
Shame you don't like Logic. It costs one heck of a lot less than it used to and is a massive improvement over the old version.

It was Logic 6. The MIDI implementation was terrible, the timing wasn't good, and the user group was censored by a bunch of fanboys who wouldn't allow criticism Rolling Eyes

v-un-v wrote:
Spark was good, but Amadeus Pro is even better! (and cheaper!)

It's definitely cheaper! But I doubt it can compare to the sound quality of Spark XL (Peak was crap in comparison). Regardless, thanks for the suggestion.

v-un-v wrote:
Once you play with 10.6 you'll wonder how you ever coped with the buggy and sluggish 10.4 (10.3 was a far superior OS, and 10.5 beats all of them except it's 10.6 now).

I never used 10.3 I went from 10.2 to 10.4, and I haven't noticed any bugs with 10.4.11. It's been very stable.

I do like what I've read about 10.6, that Apple decided to make 10.5 more efficient rather than bloat it with more features.

Have you tried Reaper? I did before but I found that my computer wasn't fast enough. I'm hoping that will change with a 2.0Ghz quad core, which should be 8 to 16 times faster or something.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried Reaper when it was in a Mac beta, and I've downloaded it since, but I far prefered Logic. (Probably because I learnt the steep logic learning slope and couldn't be arsed to learn yet another interface.

Logic today is very different from Logic 6.

But I agree with you on the timing. I never found Logic very funky. It never had 'that swing'- even if you loaded it with templates- from say an MPC.

Today I'd probably forget the computer sequencer and just go for a hard disk recorder or something like that (I haven't used Logic recently either), and use the PC as a sound generating box instead.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I tried Reaper when it was in a Mac beta, and I've downloaded it since, but I far prefered Logic. (Probably because I learnt the steep logic learning slope and couldn't be arsed to learn yet another interface.

Fair enough, but even if the newer versions of Logic are much better, I refuse to support it. Logic had such painfully obvious bugs it was impossible that they didn't know about them beforehand. Worse, their response was childish and evasive, as if working as advertised was some sort of unrealistic expectation for a commercial product Rolling Eyes

If you got your car back from the shop and the front seats were missing, then when you tried to point that out to the mechanic, he held his finger under his nose like it was a mustache and said "me speekee no english", then then threw a cat at you and ran away. You wouldn't go back to that mechanic.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But you've completely missed the point. Logic 6 was years ago, owned by eMagic who are very much now a defunct company. Logic is entirely Apple made now, and works as well as behaves just like an Apple product should- with elegance.

Not to mention that every instrument and pro effect comes bundled with it now.

You're missing out big time.

PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
But you've completely missed the point. Logic 6 was years ago, owned by eMagic who are very much now a defunct company. Logic is entirely Apple made now

Fwiw, Logic 6 was released after the transition.

v-un-v wrote:
Not to mention that every instrument and pro effect comes bundled with it now.

I had that too, but they couldn't be used outside of Logic. Apple supposedly dropped VST to support Audio Units, but their own plug-ins weren't AudioUnits Shocked

v-un-v wrote:
You're missing out big time.

Besides having to spend $500, what exactly am I missing?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for not replying sooner.

My neighbour bought a G5 recently, and is blown away by it, especially as it only cost him £60. Wink

Plenty og G5 MacPro's out there. Then you wouldn't 'have' to buy Logic. Wink

Comparing Logic 6 to Logic Pro is like comparing Bovril to Marmite. ie they both look the same, but taste very different! Wink

The new Logic is totally configurable, and it is easy to do so. L6 was a nightmare in that respect- especially the dreaded 'environment'. Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PrimateSynthesis wrote:

Besides having to spend $500, what exactly am I missing?

What are you missing in Reaper?

PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Sorry for not replying sooner.

It's OK, it took me two days just to import my mail from Eudora to ThunderBird Shocked

v-un-v wrote:

My neighbour bought a G5 recently, and is blown away by it, especially as it only cost him £60. Wink

Plenty og G5 MacPro's out there. Then you wouldn't 'have' to buy Logic. Wink

True, but I would still have the old version I don't like...

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this thing is faster than a G5. It's also the quietest computer I've had since my MacPlus. It barely makes a sound unless I'm using the optical drive Cool

v-un-v wrote:
L6 was a nightmare in that respect- especially the dreaded 'environment'. Very Happy

Yes, I agree.
PrimateSynthesis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

What are you missing in Reaper?

Sorry, I don't get the question. They both would allow me to do multitrack recording, with AudioUnits, MIDI, and automation. So I don't think I would be missing anything in Reaper.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: