electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Opportunities Wanted and Available
SAE Scholarships Up for Grabs
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: SAE Scholarships Up for Grabs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SAE Institute of Technology and MACKIE have joined forces to offer 2 Full Scholarships to SAE Institute of Technology, 1 domestic US and 1 international scholarship.

Take your chance and apply for an SAE Audio Technology Program scholarship and win a professional audio course in the city of your choice. Learn with the best at the largest international college for media education with more than 48 campuses in 4 continents.

http://www.sae.edu/scholarship/index.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a scam, they require lots of private information with no privacy policy in sight (is that even legal?) in exchange for a chance to win a cource on (get this!);
Quote:
Students graduating the course have completed a comprehensive practical curriculum using industry standard professional equipment, including the SSL and NEVE recording consoles and ProTools. Practical assignments include band recordings, post-production, mixing, analog and digital recording, digital editing and MIDI.

right.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Midi too!? These guys are feeling wild today.

It is probably not a scam, but more like a marketing stunt. Mackie is in on this too.

Some kids would kill in order to get their asses into such place.

A scholarship and an SSL is almost too much. Whatever happened to kids and drugs?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dichotomy

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am a student @ the SAE Institute here in Amsterdam, and there SSL studio is very nice. The best in the school.

So far, I enjoy it very much and am learning at a very fast pace. SAE is a lot of talk, but they seem to follow through in where it matters, in their BRAND NEW studios (not equipment, so you DO get to use a 30 year old Neve console).

Overall, the setup is great.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, for me too it was the midi bit where I started wondering what they were thinking. I must admit that in adition to that I have some thought on ProTools....

I´m realy hoping that by the time people finish a study they start now (five or so years?) both midi and ProTools will have gone the way of the Trautonium and be filed under "amusing attempts of historical value but not suitable for realy making music". We can dream.

Oh, God! just think about it, in 2010 young professionals will come on the job market and will want to work with midi and protools since that is what they learned at SAE. We´ll never get OSC at this rate.

I can only specualte that Mackie is delighted that their advertisement proudly presents Neve consoles as "industry standard". The more I think about this the more dubious it becomes.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Kool! You just said the magic words!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dichotomy wrote:
I am a student @ the SAE Institute here in Amsterdam, and there SSL studio is very nice. The best in the school.

So far, I enjoy it very much and am learning at a very fast pace. SAE is a lot of talk, but they seem to follow through in where it matters, in their BRAND NEW studios (not equipment, so you DO get to use a 30 year old Neve console).

Overall, the setup is great.

Oh, wow! It realy exists? So, erm, what are you learning there and what do you plan to do with this knowledge?

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Very Happy

Kool! You just said the magic words!

Trautonium?

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OSC will come when controllers are more affordable. Cycling '74 is distributing the JazzMutant touch-screen OSC controller, mentioned here some months ago, for the low low price of $2,500. It looks like one of the greatest controls I've seen, but I'll stick with my $150 BCR-2000 until this a device like JazzMustant is anywhere near my budget.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Trautonium it is!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dichotomy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am learning everything there is to learn regarding studio recording.

Going to school full time after one year I would be able to walk into almost any studio and be able to run a signal with no problems.

Right now, I am not sure what I will do when Im done, but not only will I use it for my own personal music production as well as making money.

Right now I have a nice little freelance situation editing music for the University of Memphis.. just editing for language. Can be tedious work.. but is well worth the money.

Options are endless, all depends on what you do with the knowledge.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like this education at SAE is pretty good. There are music technology schools all over the world now. There is nothing wrong with them. They give you a lot of knowledge quickly. It doens't matter at all that the exact technology you are using in the school might become obsolete in the future; you are learning the principles.

A sad thing is that there are more graduates than their are jobs. This shouldn't be considered a problem with the education though. Most PhDs in Physics end up working as programmers. Most musicians have day jobs.

Trying to correlate education with success is not all that fruitfull. There are many conservatory trained musicians that do very well in the music business, but the same is true for people with absolutely no music education. This is true of almost all fields - medicine and law being glaring exceptions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
It doens't matter at all that the exact technology you are using in the school might become obsolete in the future; you are learning the principles.

Very Happy
I graduated from Berklee's Music Synthesis Department in 1989. what should I say Question I don't regret having spent four years there even if we presented our audio projects on cassette tape. the brain is just another muscle. keep using it Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmmm, despite teaching a little on occasion I don´t realy believe any of this stuff can realy be tought. Sure you can tell people name X indicates concept Y, then verify they can reproduce that information, but that´s not the same as getting a real understanding.

On second thought, understanding does not seem to be a requirement for getting a profession in the music business at all. I lost count of how many times I´ve had to give lectures to professional engineers on topics like gain structure and grounding. There are so many people that work for decades in large venues yet have no idea at all how to even plug in a mixer or set up a monitor. It boggles the mind. "Engineers" that are working against you instead of with you are more exception then rule, in my experience.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
understanding does not seem to be a requirement for getting a profession in the music business at all

this sentence reminds me of another one I heard from an Italian television critic: "you don't have to be stupid to work on television but it helps" Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Dichotomy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen: most of it HAS to be taught or esle it would fly over your head and not matter.

Like how to calculate the dBu level of connected gear. Or how to calculate the wattage of a group of speakers in series or parallel, from dbu to dbV. Or from wats to volts by simply knowing the speaker Ohms and resistance.

Some stuff is soo in-depth, and the engineering side of things can only be taught, unless you want to spend most of your time trying to figure it our from pure logistics.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that´s a good example indeed. That stuff indeed needs teaching. What I was refering to was the practical aplication of the knowledge and making judgement calls where technology and aesthetic touch. Those areas heavily depend on experience and "getting a feel" for the material.

For example; you can "teach" anyone to throw the master fader down before connecting or disconnecting stuff. You can tell them a million times, you can explain why not doing so is bad or you can curse at the loud "thunk!"´s you otherwise might get, but it´s experience and feel that makes people throw it down on muscle memory without conciously noticing.

Trouble shooting is another area, there´s a difference between a engineer that goes "something is wrong with the electricity" and one that goes "that´s a light dimmer".

There are a million small things like that, perhaps I simply don´t understand how this cource works, but I realy wonder wether you can teach those formally.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Courses can't teach you everything, but they can give you practical experience that is hard to get in the "real" world. Students in these music technology programs do work on projects in the recording studio. They do record real bands and such. They work on soundtracks, movie scores, radio programs and other practical projects. So, when they graduate they have been through a lot and have confidence to get a job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I work on movie scores, soundtracks and radio programs too, all from my bedroom studio, most of it could be done with just the laptop. I don´t see any advantage in taking cources on this.

I should perhaps mention that I´m heavily opposed to institutionalised schooling in general. I shudder at the thought of how much I could´ve learned if I hadn´t been forced to spend years of my life in school.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

I should perhaps mention that I´m heavily opposed to institutionalised schooling in general.

No need to mention that. I could tell. Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Opportunities Wanted and Available
Jump to: