electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
4017 sequencer + two 555
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Alcastrane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: 4017 sequencer + two 555 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so once again I try this stupid 4017 sequencer without success.
PLEASE CHECK MY VIDEO AND HELP ME!
Why does the LEDS flash, but it still sounds like a 555?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRxtuJgbBb4

Thanks
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, what exactly are you trying to build ? (have a schematic ?)
If it's like the baby 10 then you need to know that it doesn't produce sounds
by itself,. only a voltage which can be used to drive something else like a VCO.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alcastrane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to build this 4-step sequencer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqrMC1cAr4
Which has this schematic:
http://note.monoanimal.com/images/apccircuit_2.jpg

But the first thing I actually got working was this:
http://www.scottmetoyer.com/images/CHASER1.GIF

But well, the leds flashed really fast and random kinda, and the video i put up was this with an 555 lfo added.
Alcastrane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: LEDS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Started all over again with only the leds, but its pretty unstable...
Where do I go from here? As the leds flash, I must be able to replace them with different tones right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6R6VMQrBSQ
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Alcastrane -

Sorry you are having frustration getting this working. Keep at it - you'll get it.

You should consider getting a solderless breadboard and work out the project on that before committing to soldering it up on perfboard... It's much harder to change the circuit once is soldered together.

I'd start with the regular APC, get that working...then build the sequencer...then try both together. I think you'll have more success that way...
Also - try posting in the DIY forum - you might have more people see your posts...

Good luck! You'll have a working device before too long. Smile

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Alcastrane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there,

Yeah I use to get stuff after a while, but this one I've tried for months without success...

Oh yeah, I got that from a profriend but I really don't understand what is easier with it. But I will definitly try, he says its most likely the soldering that troubles it.

Actually, I tried that... But its even harder as I don't get how to put the APC together with the sequencer, at all.

Oh right, thanks! I posted in a subforum with the most posts lol.

Yeah, I sure hope so.
Thanks for your awnser,
Jonas
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jonas -
i think the best thing about a breadboard is that you can easily change the circuit and experiment with different ideas you have. That's one way to really learn about electronics.

Once you start to understand how the circuit works, and what the parts are there for it gets much easier to think about how to combine them - and eventually discover what you were doing wrong...

Bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I've been watching your videos trying to figure out what is going wrong here. I think the problem may be in the soldering. You could have a bridge of solder somewhere shorting something out. The soldering needs to be neater. Have a look for some youtube videos on soldering. It will help you! Also, you could cut your board with a knife and steel ruler both sides and snap it. It makes a neater job of it all.

But before you do this, get a breadboard and jumper lead kit and some new components. I used to think that breadboards were for people who couldn't solder or weren't serious about making circuits... they just wanted to muck around a bit. Laughing But they are not! They are vital in testing things first before you end up soldering something which will just frustrate you when it doesn't work out! I soldered 4 or 5 Atari Punk Consoles before I got ONE to work! Embarassed Getting a breadboard will give you boost in confidence when you get this working!

The schematic looks ok to me. I really think the soldering is the problem here. Excessive heat may have damaged your 4017. Make sure all the wires are going to the right place. Look closely at the soldering... with a magnifying glass. Is anything shorting out somewhere it shouldn't? But get a breadboard first!! Then practice the soldering skills... it's not too difficult! Most of all, don't give up...yet Laughing !
Alcastrane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bruce:
Oh yeah, i am just a bit unsure of how to do it, like how do you use wires to connect stuff on it?

Thanks again!

-minus-

Hey there!
Yeah most people seem to think so, I guess its really worth a try with the breadboard. Yeah, the boards I use now are like totally random lol.

Jumper lead kit, is that like a starterkit?
Yeah well I kinda thought it was for people who had never solder anything, but I actually got both 555 lfo and APC to work so I thought I was great at it, but well... You guys are probably right.

I will never give up! Razz Music and experiments are my life!

Thanks guys for being so kind to me!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alcastrane wrote:

I will never give up! Razz Music and experiments are my life!

Good .. and welcome but please don't double post no more ... Wink I'll move this thread to DIY .. more appropriate there i think.

Alcastrane

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: DONE! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FINALLY, I made it!
The video is upside-down but who cares lol, I'm happy! Razz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfoYrY4_r-E

Thanks for all your tips guys, it really helped making the Atari Punk Console first, then the 555 lfo and then putting it together with the 4017.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Great to see and hear it working!!!!!

Yeah the breadboards are good! Mine had a little box of pre-bent leads with them which span various distances on the board. This is what I am referring to:

http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/000/025/754/290/25860_3000754_290.jpg

You can make your own from solid core wire if you want.

Anyway, I'm happy for you that it is working! Very Happy Check out the lunetta stuff elsewhere on the DIY forum. I think you might like it!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats!

didn't get around to look into it further, good to hear you got it working.
(and your soldering is just art by itself Cool)

and yes, get yourself a breadboard and if you can find them a set of these:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: