electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Changing pots values
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jean bender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Changing pots values Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everybody..

Most of schematics use pots which have values between 100k and 1meg.

I've got a huge stock of 50k pots, and i think it should be stupid to not use them, and buying other pots.

My question is : What should i do when i'm building an osc, for exemple, in order to have a "normal" response ?

yesterday i tried to make some osc from a 4093. It was working, but when i changed my pots for 1meg ones, for exemple, the coarse was much better with them than with 50k.

At the moment, i'm looking after typical osc : 0.1uf caps, 10k res with the pot in feedback loop...

I don"t think that i have to change caps values, since it's them which give the general pitch. Maybe using a bigger resistance ? In parallel of the pot ?

thanks for any trick !

cordially !

www.electroncanon.org
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The frequency of these oscillators is roughly 1/(resistance x capacitance) so if you make the resistance smaller you need to make the capacitor larger by the same amount to keep the same frequency.

If a design uses a 1Meg pot and a 0.1uF cap and you want to use a 50k pot you'd need to make the cap 20 times bigger, so you could use a 2.2uF cap. If there's a resistor in the feedback loop as well as the pot you need to make this 20 time smaller so something like 470 Ohm.
jean bender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok thanks, i think it will help me a lot !!

Where can i find some knowledge about the way to build osc like these ? i mean, this math theory ?

Well, thanks for all !!

www.electroncanon.org
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/270/108596_DS.pdf
i think the datsheet has the schematic, with formula, at page 3.
jean bender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right !!

I oftently should look at these datasheets... lots of interesting things in these documents !

Wink

www.electroncanon.org
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a question regarding this as well.

I have recently "slaughtered" a few large mixers for parts, thus I have about [1000] pots, mainly 10 KΩ logarithmic and linear.

Is it possible to use the linear 10 KΩ in the Baby10 sequencer instead of the 100KΩ and how would I do this ?
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice find!

And yeah, if you are using the potentiometers as a voltage divider to generate a control voltage from each step you can use any pot you like. I do recommend >10K just to be on the safe side.

A voltage divider works with the ratio of the resistance between pin1 and the wiper and pin2 and the wiper. Basically if the pot is turned 1/10th it means that the ratio is 1:9 and it will let 10% of the signal go through. Try ading a voltage divider as a volume control to a simple audio circuit, you will find that the value doesn't matter.

noise
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks tjookum for an informative post.
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
nice find!

As icing on the cake i also pulled:

2 x MN3005 BBD's

2 x MN3207 BBD's + 2 x MN3102

2 x NE570N Compandors

M5207L01 Dual VCA

Not counting the ridiculus amount of op-amps.

And I'm not even halfway checking the circuit boards for rare / expensive / interesting chips.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stop making the rest of us feel jealous Laughing .

One tip, never trow a board away unless you either stripped it bare of are sure that all the leftover components are useless. I stripped my share of boards and I've trown away very usefull parts because I just didn't know what they were.

noise
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
stop making the rest of us feel jealous Laughing .

One tip, never trow a board away unless you either stripped it bare of are sure that all the leftover components are useless. I stripped my share of boards and I've trown away very usefull parts because I just didn't know what they were.

and the addition to that tip:
always check the chip numbers for datasheets while you pillage those boards.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com is your friend.
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo wrote:

and the addition to that tip:
always check the chip numbers for datasheets while you pillage those boards.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com is your friend.

Uhmm yeah that's what I'm doing. No need stating the obvious.

I also forgot the 3-400 DPDT's
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glitch-Militia wrote:

Uhmm yeah that's what I'm doing. No need stating the obvious.

I also forgot the 3-400 DPDT's

Wow! Shocked With all those pots you could build a pretty huge mixer! Idea
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: