electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Switch between mono/poly within patch?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
RG123

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Switch between mono/poly within patch? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there!

I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post (i think!). I'm the proud owner of a G2 keyboard as of last summer. Loving it, but i'm stuck on a few simple things...

I like to be able to switch between mono and poly modes on the fly (as is possible on my NL3). Unfortunately switching between these modes in the patch settings on the G2 cuts the sound off. Is there a way to do this without the sound cutting off? I've searched and can't seem to find it in any of the patches on here. It was discussed here...

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7341-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=switching+mono+poly

but i didn't quite understand how to implement it (i'm a programming newbie, more of a player)

Amazing forum btw

I'd appreciate any help if anyone has a moment.

Thanks

Rob
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Rob.

The basic idea that thread starts with is to use both a keyboard and a monokey module.

You will not be able to use the shortcuts on modules then, like the keyboard tracking on oscillators or the automatic gate on envelope modules, and you need to route those manually from the keyboard modules.

The routing from the keyboard modules needs to switchable too - there are switch modules for that, the switch 2-1 module would be suitable and you'd want to switch the three signals that the keyboard modules have in common - pitch gate and velocity (the latter one comes in a linear and an exponential form on the keyboard module, I think exp would map to the velocity on the mono module).

Then the three switches need to be controlled by something, like another switch maybe which could be the switch on/off toggling.

However after going through all that trouble ... the patch would still not be completely monophonic, it would just make all voices play the same note in mono mode.

There are tricks to for that too - which would be a handful of other modules ... I'll explain that route if thats where you'd want to go.

The reason for the silence BTW is that the G2 is dynamic in how patch parts are distributed over it's calculation engines, that distribution needs to be recalculated when you alter voice counts for a patch and then a changed patch compilation gets loaded onto the DSPs, during that load time they need be silent as there state would be undefined then.

RG123

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for getting back to me!

I see what you mean about it not being proper mono. I think i'm gonna go with the 2 patch method (load one poly/one mono of the same patch and switch between), until my programming skills get better.
It certainly makes me appreciate all those switches/functions on my NL3 now! (mono/legato/poly, pitch bend up/down values)
I guess i'm going to have to rethink how i play certain things.

I have another similar question...is it possible to program a switch to change between mono and legato env modes? I use this a lot when playing bass synth, and it would be awesome to do it seamlessly on the g2 (ie. not via patch settings)

Checking out all the possibilities of the G2 sure takes time away from the playing, yet it's kinda addictive!

Thanks,
Rob
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know really how the legato mode works - it just does not retrigger the envelopes when a new note comes in before the old one was off?

In that case the monokey module seems to do just that on it's gate output; releasing the gate when the last key goes off.

RG123

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, of course. Thanks for your help!
gosmith

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Blue Hell, I'm very interested in your trick for getting the MonoKey module to behave monophonically, i.e. the "handful of other modules" that would restrict the output of "Lo" to just one voice. I can isolate one voice using the Voice No. output of the Status module, but the problem is that I don't know which voice is being assigned to the lowest keyboard note at any given moment, so "Lo" only triggers when my lowest note happens to use that voice.

Cheers,
Gordon
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh dear - that reminds me on the Fermat theorem - I've no idea what went through my mind then, it must have looked trivial to me at the time Confused

I'll see if I can think something up .. but the "not knowing which note is in which voice" seems tricky to me too right now ...

gosmith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just had a thought, but no time to try it now -- what if I AND'ed the MonoKey's Gate with the Keyboard module's Gate -- the latter is supposed to affect only one voice...
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Régardez:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-340454.html
gosmith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thank you Tim, I think you answered my question, but unfortunately you've also pinpointed a problem that lies either in my G2X or in the OS.

First off, I believe you solved my initial problem by running the Voice # output into the Compare-to-Signal module's B input, and letting the Gate decide whether to pass the resulting logic signal through to the Amp's Gate input. I've never seen the CTS module used in this way -- what does it mean when there's nothing plugged into the A input? What is it comparing B to in this case?

And now the problem: the "Lo" mode doesn't work! Actually, if you disconnect the Vel output from the Amp, then it works, so the real problem is in the Vel output of MonoKey's Lo mode -- no output! Do you notice the same thing on your G2? I have another G2X that I can try it on...

mono_only_tk_106.pch2
 Description:
Stripped-down version of Tim Kleinert's patch, with only the MonoKey mode

Download
 Filename:  mono_only_tk_106.pch2
 Filesize:  1.21 KB
 Downloaded:  4003 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gosmith wrote:
what does it mean when there's nothing plugged into the A input? What is it comparing B to in this case?

Nothing plugged into the input equals zero. So this module outputs a logic high signal only when the B value is zero (which corresponds to voice #1 from the status module) and a logic low for any value higher than zero (which corresponds to all other voices which we do not want to trigger in this case). I use the module in this manner because the compare modules are of a "=>" (equal or higher) kind (logic high for equal or higher), but I want a logic low for higher. So this is the most efficient way to patch this. Looks a bit strange, I agree.

gosmith wrote:
And now the problem: the "Lo" mode doesn't work! Actually, if you disconnect the Vel output from the Amp, then it works, so the real problem is in the Vel output of MonoKey's Lo mode -- no output! Do you notice the same thing on your G2?
Yes. You have just discovered another OS bug. Smile
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gosmith wrote:
...And now the problem: the "Lo" mode doesn't work! Actually, if you disconnect the Vel output from the Amp, then it works, so the real problem is in the Vel output of MonoKey's Lo mode -- no output! ...

This is a known bug that was never fixed. Ian reported it first here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8856.html

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:

This is a known bug that was never fixed. Ian reported it first here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8856.html

Wow -way back in 2005! Shocked Laughing I stand corrected. Embarassed
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: