electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Roland GR55 - New Guitar Synth
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stringport AIM OSC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alancarl wrote:
Hey BobTheDog and other canines,
I made 5 demo videos for the Stringport Suite. The response of the system is good. I want to get a hold of a gr55 to compare triggering and latencies.... So much cool gear to play with these days eh?
Anyway, here is a link to my videos to get a better idea of what SP can do.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/stringport/overview

I totally agree with you that the AIM protocol is much better suited for stringed instrument data than MIDI can ever hope to be and OSC is also exciting as well!
Enjoy,
Al

Nice demos, Al!

The one thing that would convince me to sell my Roland VG-99 and invest in StringPort (including a new laptop with the horsepower to run StringPort) would be a couple of demos of alternately tuned guitars. For example, play in DADGAD tuning, step on a footswitch, and immediately play in CGDBBD (a Preston Reed tuning). I can do that with a VG-99, with little or no warbling due to the pitch shifting.

I don't need a demo of an acoustic guitar model played on real electric guitar - just show me warble free instant tuning switches.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alancarl

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: StringPort Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Andy,
Cool! And Happy Birthday too!
I have been fascinated with guitar synths for a long time. I used to drag around a 22 space anvil rack case back in the 1980's to get my gtrsynth mojo on!
Perhaps the most important aspect of the StringPort for me is the possibility to have that 22 space rack of functionality virtualized in a laptop bag.
Now that's not to say that hardware isn't way cool in it's immediacy and a
all but man it is imperative to be able to travel light!
I think that it was a good call to get the suite too. In my case I started with MIDI Out and then moved on to Sythesis,Processing,etc.
Now in retrospect I think that the Synthesis module is the place to start out.
I really dig the FM part of Classic,there are some terrific timbal effects that can be achieved with the modulation routings.
Above all have Fun!
Peace Andy,
Al
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the StringPort arrived and after a couple of days of Kernel Panics I have had enough of trying to get it to work with my mac.

There seems to be some driver contention with the standard apple usb driver for class compliant usb audio interfaces, basically if you have stringport plugged in at the same time as one of these devices then it kernel panics.

Tech Support don't seem too good either so I think it is going back.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ugh, that sucks. I was hoping for some(thing/one) to advance the MIDI conversion idea. I think Axon is still number one when it comes to pure MIDI conversion. Oh well. I'll get OSC someday.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It might be saved. They have agreed to look into the problem so fingers crossed.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well the StringPort arrived and after a couple of days of Kernel Panics I have had enough of trying to get it to work with my mac.

There seems to be some driver contention with the standard apple usb driver for class compliant usb audio interfaces, basically if you have stringport plugged in at the same time as one of these devices then it kernel panics.

Wow Andy, you are practically a magnet for bad luck when it comes to new gear (the Moog Guitar, some other products, and now this). My roommate is like that too - all she has to do is barely touch the product with a finger and it malfunctions. It's happened to her so often that she believes her body carries an excessive electrical charge. Wink

I'll stick with m VG-99 and possibly invest in a breakout box. I still have no real use for guitar-MIDI or even violin-MIDI applications.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Washing machine and boiler have gone wrong this week.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Washing machine and boiler have gone wrong this week.

My washing machine broke down a couple of weeks ago. It has yet to be repaired because:

1. The home warranty company refuses to repair it.
2. I got a new home warranty company
3. Even once the paperwork gets started by the new company, it will still take weeks to get new parts because it's a Bosch, and parts have to be ordered from Germany.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alancarl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Stringport
Subject description: Kernel please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Hi Andy,
I had some Kernel Panics in the beginning too... particularly with an Edirol USB midi I/o and an Access Virus TI( man I love that synth but it has had driver issues for ever)
So I took the SP is a lone star path and got the thing to work for me.
You seem like an explorer kinda a guy.... I came across your posts on a hex fanout box and a Pacarana.... Looks like a very cool rig!
I made a couple of fanout boxes and man hex guitar audio is amazing...especially with acoustic guitars!
Now for SP.... And osx audio drivers....
I would suggest that you try it alone so you can check it out....
Also the Analysis module Requires tweaking as well as the Audio input setting window...
I too am a guy that is gonna find every flaw in a thing, so I feel your pain....

Al

Have you checked out the modulation routings yet?
The ability to add slew to the mod patches is very inspirational...especially if you are in need of some inspiration from SP!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Al,

They can replicate the problem and are looking to fix it.

I have been playing around with the StringPort a bit and am a bit disappointed with it at the moment.

This may just be a setup issue as there are quite a few parameters to play with but the midi conversion to me doesn't seem on par with my axon. Most of my time seems to be being spent in the analysis module tweaking things to try to get it to perform well, this can be a bit soul sapping!

Also I seem to have general problems with the various pieces of software, very harsh sound, individual outputs just hanging on, audio cutting out, presets not re-calling, just general niggles really.

I think they may have done better not to use MAX/MSP for development!

Mostly I have been using it instead of my breakout box just to get 6 channels of audio into the computer, for this it is working very well. The signals are much hotter than with the RMC fanout box and the latency is very good.

I expect I just need to persevere and spend more time with it as it is definitely not plug and play Smile

Cheers

Andy
alancarl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: StringPort Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Also I seem to have general problems with the various pieces of software, very harsh sound, individual outputs just hanging on, audio cutting out, presets not re-calling, just general niggles really.

I think they may have done better not to use MAX/MSP for development!

Mostly I have been using it instead of my breakout box just to get 6 channels of audio into the computer, for this it is working very well. The signals are much hotter than with the RMC fanout box and the latency is very good.

I expect I just need to persevere and spend more time with it as it is definitely not plug and play Smile

Cheers

Andy

Hey Andy,
how's StringPort treating you these days?
We definitely need to persevere with SP...as I have said you really have to want it bad...
I did fiddle with the Analysis settings constantly with variable results...yes soul numbing at times.

One thing that I tried to get KMI to incorporate is a MONO Input version.
In fact I wired up a 13 pin fanout' type patchbay that allowed me to feed the signal from my guitar's magnetic pickup into one of the 6 strings input channels(i usually used the 3rd or 4th string inputs)..

In MY Videos All of the lead lines and bass lines were played in this way.
I found that taking the string to string isolation decisions away from StringPort's Analysis algorithm allowed me to play much faster and with a whole lot fewer glitches and hammer ons and pull offs triggered more reliably.
I think that with the RMC fanout box you could try this if you were interested.

I have a question for you, how are you running you hex recording setup?
Is StringPort your only audio interface?
I find that the outputs of SP are very soft and I always need to add a lot of trim to hear the outputs from SP.

In any case I hope you are having enough success with the SP package to have it be fun!
Peace,
AL
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Alan,

To be quite honest it is an expensive paper-weight.

I was promised a beta driver a few weeks a go but that hasn't arrived yet, so to get it working I have to disconect other devices, reboot etc so it is just not getting used as I cannot be arsed.

I would put it on Ebay but I wouldn't want to subject any other poor soul to the pains I have had with it!

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like they may be sending me the driver at last..........
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news, Andy.

Your experiences are scaring me away from Keith McMillen products a bit, though I do find SoftStep to be a tempting product.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Have the new driver now and everything works as it should do Smile

I know just need some time to play around, a new puppy is using a lot of my spare time up!
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: