electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Ipad camera connection kit owners - QUESTION
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ultrashock

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Ipad camera connection kit owners - QUESTION
Subject description: a few interesting facts on Ipad CCK and making diy adapter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just trying to understand what's inside the Apple CCK.

As you know, it is impossible to plug the usb camera, midi interface, keyboard or sound card etc. via the ordinary usb mirror F<->F plug like:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
and sync cable to the IPAD.

But to do this, it is needed to connect #21 pin to ground (ground are 1-2 and 15-16 pins) via resistor.
in other words - to switch the IPAD in USB-Master mode instead of USB-host mode

Within the datasheet. the resistor values are the following:
1kOhm - iPod docking station, beeps when connected
10kOhm - Takes some iPods into photo import mode

6.8 kΩ - Serial port mode. Pin 11-13 are TTL level. Requires MAX232 chip to convert to RS232 levels.
68kOhm - makes iPhone 3g send audio through line-out without any messages
500kOhm - related to serial communication / used to enable serial communications Used in Dension Ice Link Plus car interface
1MOhm - Belkin auto adaptor, iPod shuts down automatically when power disconnected Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut. Looks to be that when this pin is grounded it closes a switch so that on loss of power the Ipod shuts off. Dock has the same Resistor.

The question is to know what resistor value is placed in the Apple CCK.

That's why I kindly ask the Apple CCK owners with multimeter to measure the impedance in CCK 30pin connector beetween 21 and one of the ground pins (1-2, 15-16). Moreover, also to check 27-s pin with all other and with D+ and D- (two inner pins) at the USB female connector.

As you know, usb uses 23, 25, 27 и 15(16) pins.

ultrashock

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, the things are going a bit more complicated as it seemed before.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Camera-Connection-Kit-SD-Card-Adapter-Teardown/4129/1
some disassemble of SD card adapter for ipad.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm watching this thread with great interest! If you can do it, it'll be great, but from what I've read on the Internet is that it's very difficult unless someone is prepared to donate a CCK to science!! Wink

Keep up the good work!

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
ultrashock

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or just spend 10 bucks for this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ipad-to-usb-host-adapter-cable-camera-connection-kit-22cm-length-81085
really interested if it works since it seems there are no devices such as microcontrollers inside the plugs
just worder why Apple just put so many excess ICs and inside the SD adapter at the iFIXit link above (or just for DC-DC conversion to receive 5 volts for USB from stepped 3.3 volts which goes from VCC 18rd PIN)
ultrashock

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just wonder - if anyone can try to connect any device to ipad using the stated above Female<-->Female usb plug and sync cable through the active usb hub (with 5 volts power supply)?
ultrashock

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some bad news.
iPad Camera Connection Kit no longer works with non-self powered devices since iOS4.2:

http://www.ilounge.com/forums.html/news/comments/ios-4.2-reduces-power-output-of-ipads-dock-connector/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1109164
http://www.9to5mac.com/40091/ios-4-2-emits-less-usb-power-on-ipad-camera-connection-kit-crippled/

the answer is only use active powered usb hub...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I read that elsewhere. Apparently you just need a tiny bit of charge too.

I found this excellent list of compatible devices too;

http://iosmidi.com/devices/

If all else fails, I'm still going for an Alesis IODock Wink Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes, and quality of MIDI and USB cables also plays an important factor too. Idea
ultrashock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Oh yes, and quality of MIDI and USB cables also plays an important factor too. Idea
it's true about usb cable: it should be as short as possible and desirable might built with a low resistance material (gold, platinum would be perfect Smile).
but concerning the length of midi cable it depends...
I don't believe anyone will connect 50 feet cable to ipad since the ipad itself is a wireless device Smile

p.s.: ideally, I would appreciate something like ipad-to-CV converter, but doing this through usb-midi adapter will also be enough
bbassett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: My Research
Subject description: DIY connection kit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, i am very interested in making a USB connection kit myself, and using it with my iphone and ipad to be able to connect USB flash drives, or keyboards, mostly just to say that i can. So, i have been doing some research, and this is what i have come up with.

It SHOULD be possible to make a connection kit on your own, but there are some parts required.

Obstacles.

1. power

Apparently our favorite manufaturers have limited the output on the iDevices to be 20mA with new software updates, in my opinion to make it impossible to use the connection kits for things that are not "supported"

2. Interface

First of all, lets focus on the USB connector, because no one is going to be plugging in a flash drive or a keyboard through the SD card reader... *duh*

I'm guessing, and i feel comfortable saying that the USB connector interfaces with the Digital cameras through the 12th and 13th pins on the dock connector, this meaning that they are using the Serial TxD and Serial RxD forms of interfacing (http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/iPhone_connector_pinout.shtml check there for why i say that...) Because, it would just be TOO EASY for it to be run through the USB data pins (25 and 27).

So, in order to make your own Connector Kit, you would need an RS232 Transmitter/receiver to convert the signal to make it all work, which is probably why no one has been able to do it themselves yet. One of these transeivers can be found here.

Solutions
1. power - either use an external power source (relatively annoying, yet still possible - could be a simple 5v transformer, or even 4 AA batteries with some components to make it a steady 5vDC output) We CANNOT use a Charge-pump nor a step-up power converter and take advantage of the iDevice's 3.3v output, because of the 20mA limit added to the new software updates, unless someone smarter than me can get around this through a software tweak/hack.

2. Interface

unless by some small chance you can just use the +/- USB data pins (which i haven't tried, but am willing to do so) we just need an RS232 transeiver (which cost around $1.00 or LESS in multiple places online) and use the TxD and RxD input/outputs run through that, to make serial communication possible and thus, interfacing with a USB device, such as a flashdrive or Keyboard. Then, we just have to add a 500kOhm resistor between pin 21 and a ground to tell the iDevice to enable serial communication, and DONE (unless, the resistor is supposed to be something else, i found one more reference specifying a different resistance, but now i can't find it, i'll keep looking though).

pinout for dock connector: http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/iPhone_connector_pinout.shtml

RS232 Transmitter: http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-original-MAX232CSE-IC-RS-232-DVR-RCVR-16-SOIC-/140558890825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b9f67749#ht_1109wt_905 *note - needs a 5v input also

pinout for RS232 transmitter: http://www.abcsemiconductors.com/composants/pinout/MAX232.phtml
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: