electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Suggestions for a first DIY project?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rog.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Suggestions for a first DIY project?
Subject description: I want to build...something!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if this is the best area to post in, but I'm looking for some suggestions as to which DIY project (synth, noise generator, module, whatever) would be the best to start with?
I'm thinking about starting with the WSG, maybe sourcing my own components and building on Vero board rather than buying the kit though. I've got 20+ years of soldering and prototyping experience, but my electronics knowledge is minimal (practical rather than theoretical). The building and boxing aspects part of the project appeal to me as much as playing with the end result, and like many people, I'd like to keep the costs low...
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Rog.
loydb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WSG + source your own components.

You can spend your first year with nothing but MFOS and get some great gear out of it.

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
mark_olson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Rog.

I agree wholeheartedly with loydb's suggestion. The WSG is an excellent gateway project.

Your question is asked regularly in the "DIY Hardware and Software" forum, one level up. the last time was this week:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-48098.html

I think one of the challenging things about starting from nothing is that it takes not just one but a handful of modules before you can get anything that sounds like much, and two or three handfuls before you can make what most people would recognize as music Smile

After I built a WSG, and a couple other noise builds before that, I decided to try and get a system off the ground by simultaneously building:

a controller - http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs10_pedal.html

a power supply - http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-1200.html&highlight=power+supply+sorta

and a Thomas Henry SN Voice (a multi-function module) - http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32942.html

Those next three things allowed me to start making credible sounds and had a great confidence-building effect.

In the thread I mentioned above there are a lot of good suggestions. One of the most important, in my opinion, is to tackle the challenge of format before you do anything else, since everything that follows will be dictated by that choice in some way. I spent months on the format question.

One thing I needlessly agonized over was the decision between 12 and 15 volts. I decided to go with 15 but after less than a year I added a 12V PS too; it is just so much easier than tweaking values or being limited by a module's voltage requirements.

Good luck.

Mark

Last edited by mark_olson on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WSG is a good choice.
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject:  WSG yes.yes.yes.
Subject description: Ray wilson designs, simple to build and excellent....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started on a WSG board ( stripboarded ) in March of this year and it is growing into a monster noise maker....amazing "gateway" oscillator circuit. I have added a synthacon filter, a triple output lfo and a delay unit so far. All this will be put in an old BBC computer interface with lots of lovely patch sockets.......oscillator heavens...

WSGLABELLED.png
 Description:
picture of WSG and other circuits.... the guts
Ken Stone synthacon Filter
Triple lfo
Velleman Delay board
DC mixer circuit....
+5V and +/- 12 v power supply...
 Filesize:  3.29 MB
 Viewed:  478 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

WSGLABELLED.png

Rawbounce.mp3
 Description:
MP3 sample of what the machine does so far.... guts still exposed wires everywhere, will post a picture....

Download
 Filename:  Rawbounce.mp3
 Filesize:  14.38 MB
 Downloaded:  965 Time(s)

Rog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the replies - now feeling slightly dumb, as I searched for the general DIY forum, couldn't find it, and now it appears I just didn't scroll far enough down, so sorry about that...

Think I will definitely start with the WSG then. It looks like it's not going to cost the earth or take an eternity to build, both important considerations. Hopefully it will be an introduction and spur me on to bigger and better things.
Thanks again,
Rog.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: