electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
PIC based Arpeggiator (Boards available)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what are the Schottky diodes (no part number listed in the BOM)? I have a pile of rectifier diodes here; BYD11D, 200V. Would they work?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from the BOM:

Quote:
Schottky Diode (SD101C was used in prototypes, but it's not critical)

BYD11D is not a Schottky diode; BAT85 used to be a commonly used schottky.

LektroiD

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, I'll replace those with the BAT85's then..

Also, can I use 22pf in place of the 18pf (and save myself a trip to the dreaded Maplin)?

Boogdish

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

22pf should be fine.

The datasheet for your crystal oscillator will indicate the ideal load capacitor, but being a few picofarads off shouldn't make a noticeable difference.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine today !!!
Thanks again.

Maplin....he he he he , esp. the saturday till kids ...(...ferrite beads please, no , it's not a s£x toy , it's an electronic choke).... ha ha ha Smile

Dave
LektroiD

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
Maplin....he he he he , esp. the saturday till kids ...(...ferrite beads please, no , it's not a s£x toy , it's an electronic choke).... ha ha ha Smile

Dave

Last time I was in for a 50k potentiometer, the Saturday guy looked at me like I was from another planet, then proceeded to be rude and offensive, shoving the catalogue in my face telling me he needs the maplin codes (like I'm supposed to know this). If I wasn't such a placid guy, I'd have probably punched him out there and then. Instead, I called the shop and made the manager aware of this guy's obnoxious behaviour.

Anyway, I got some 18pf caps in the end from Farnell.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm busy doodling with pencil & paper Smile , a Panel layout for the Arpeg. before i start building, i wondered about having rotary switches to select movement & range , would i just make a daughter board to mount voltage divider resistors for each switch pole ?.

Dave.
Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would mount resistors directly on the switch. Connect ground to the lug for the furthest clockwise position and resistor going from that lug to the next, then on the next lug attach another resistor going to the next lug and so forth until you get to the most clockwise position which would be tied to +5V.

I'd only use a daughterboard for this if I was using a PC mounted pot. Otherwise you're not only soldering all those resistors but also jumpers from the board to the switch and you're making more work for yourself.
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine, thanks looks great! Smile
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick Q that might be slightly off topic, but would be interested to now if this is possible - if I set up my MPC 3000 to output a sample of a loud, short transient pulse on one of its individual outputs, could I use this as a clock signal to control the speed of my arpeggiator's modular arpeggio, swinging wth its quantised groove? That would be really cool.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the MPC's outputs are DC-coupled (not filtered by a cap to remove DC).

There are other important aspects but that would be the single most important thing to discover. If you cannot remove any DC-blocking capacitors, you can use an envelope follower/Schmitt trigger to turn the audio pulse into a DC pulse suitable for triggering/advancing clocks.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, good point, i have an oakley EFG and that also has a gate output anyway, so there's always that option... just wondering in my uninformed way whether a sample of a short trigger pulse could work as a trigger generally in modulars, i.e. using individual outs of my mpc to trigger diy drum modules etc.. I realise a gate signal will probably be filtered out but a short transient should get through as AC shouldnt it? Will the arpeggiator clock not be moved on a tick by a trigger signal like this then, it requires a pulse that's longer than that? Excuse the rookie questions.
rosch

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can try it. i've been triggering all drum modules with e.g. a snare from the S1000 and it always worked fine with the ones i had.
they probably had the necessary circuitry. it even worked with velocities.
the drums were for example sonor mini mammut, pearl syncussion, boss drp, formanta, simmons, dynacord, actually everything that had a trigger in (for pads/microphones)
Boogdish

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This needs a a +5V DC pulse to trigger it. I pulled out my SR-16 just to make sure and I couldn't get any response from plugging it's output to either of the trigger inputs.

You'd need to run the audio into an envelope follower like Peake said.
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool, thanks for the test/clarification, I guess i can still get down the envelope following route then for tight as you like mpc arpeggiator swing!
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This little thing is nice for triggering analog drum modules and sequencers:
http://www.engineersatwork.nl/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/58/products_id/536

Very Happy

JoeMorris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm looks good, would the 10ms pulse width be enough to trigger the pic arpeggiator clock i wonder?
Boogdish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

10ms is plenty.
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great thanks, looking forward to this big time.
Boogdish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New boards are in for this, with a pad for an MOTM style power connecter and ferrite beads.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , just finished a design for my front panel Smile

Im using rotary switches for some parameters & building a little stripboard circuit with an extra 2 cv mixers , i've worked out the resistors needed between the rotary positions which i'll post up once ive tested after populating.
I included a rotary switch for the external clock divider control as i usually clock all my sequencers from a midi source.

Dave.

arpeggio convert curves BLUE small.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.28 KB
 Viewed:  182 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

arpeggio  convert curves  BLUE   small.JPG

Last edited by Skrog Productions on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I'm still trying to understand how this works---the root note of the arpeggio is determined by the Note CV input, right? Does it generate different voltages based on the voltage it "reads" at the CV Note input?

Or does it just play the same selected preset arpeggio sequence, and simply by mixing in the voltage at the Note CV input, achieves the intended note sequence.

How does one order these now?
Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
it just play the same selected preset arpeggio sequence, and simply by mixing in the voltage at the Note CV input, achieves the intended note sequence.

This way. With controls for what that preset arpeggio sequence is. The input voltage doesn't play into the chip's software in any way.

e-mail me at Michael@Bartonmusicalcircuits.com to order.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

been busy over the last couple of weeks....
Finished the panel , fitted the hardware , wired up & powered up , just got the trimmer to set and also adjust a couple of resistor values on my rotary switches , i found that once the volt divider voltage went through the cv mixer / inverter stage the output dropped 0.2 of a volt , i re-calculated the resistors needed again and the rotary switches are selecting functions correctly now , Very Happy great , i will post up what values i used for the rotarys , i'am running this on 12v.

I realised i forgot the reset for the internal clock , so i drilled a push switch on the panel & also realised that the tempo / rate pot doubles up as the external clock divider control so i put a 2 way switch to select pot for rate control and rotary for division control , all good now, heh Smile .

Sounds to come later in the week .

Fantastic module , im having great fun with this & i got some ideas for a new track Very Happy.

Dave.

arp panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.21 KB
 Viewed:  3897 Time(s)

arp panel.JPG

Arp - before mod.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.93 KB
 Viewed:  3908 Time(s)

Arp -  before  mod.JPG

Arp - after mod.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.66 KB
 Viewed:  3950 Time(s)

Arp - after mod.JPG

brother303

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

very nice build,as all of your "blueish"-stuff. Hats off!

If you could post the values for the resistors on the switches,would be nice!

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: