electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jasuto Modular now for iPad
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Jasuto Modular now for iPad
Subject description: ... in the Appstore now!!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fellow Electrobians, the bomb has dropped!

Jasuto Modular Pro v1.3 for iPad (and iPhone/iPod too!) !!!!

right here!

Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

love it!

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got an ipad2.....gonna have to give Jasuto a spin.....
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While you're at it, read the Palm Sounds blog, for all the latest iPad and iPhone sonic developments and updates!

http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/
Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
DES

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some pretty neat offerings out there! Need to find a midi interface too - I know there are a lot of threads for that so I'm not going to start another one.. Smile

so far - iMS20, iSequence, PatternMusic, Sylo synth, Fourier Touch (eh...), and GarageBand. Jasuto going to be in the next grouping as is MorphWiz. Had to lay off some of the purchases to get my ipad 'armoured' case...looks like it could be a Panasoinc Toughbook now. It's actually mad by Griffen, cost way to much but I'm happy with the protection it provides. Here's a link to the mfr. site:
https://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad/survivor The ipad 2 is thin - and with the metal case it's pretty slippery...I just know that if I didn't have a case I could hold onto I would end up testing gravity with it..... Shocked

With regard to Jasuto - I didn't see too much other then the 'orbs' that you interconnect...is there further indepth programming available?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An "extreme survival case" IN PINK???! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

The standard Apple case for the Mark1 is fine. Dunno about the 2 though.

Personally I'd wait a couple of months for Alesis to get around to releasing the IODock. Smile

DES

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing well, at least you can see it in the dark! Probably if you're an '80s era motocross rider you would like it too Very Happy

Actually I have the black one. Surprised they didn't have bright yellow or international orange.....probably Pelican cases for those.

My wife had borrowed a series 1 iPad from the library and it had a nice case. The 2's though are uncomfortably thin for me. Kind of risky to hold on to (for me). The new case bumps it up to 1" or so and it's much easier for me to hold on to. The new cases seem to be all about 'thin'. I'm sure there are some durable cases out there that are not as expensive/bulky as the one I bought....

The Alesis item will be cool though I wish it had two instrument inputs. It's just a matter of. When they are going to have them. Their parts suppliers have been very slow to deliver as of late. A friend ordered an sr-16 drum machine through us...the wait is very long..

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just bought the app called Djay. I'm pretty impressed with that. In no time I'll be banging out more stuff in both jasuto and Nanostudio and using Djay to mix everything up.

I love it! Cool

mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Get the Jasuto Modular AU or Vst plug in Free for a limited time.

http://www.jasuto.com/home/?page_id=469

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it actually work? I found both the vst and the au particually picky about what host it was opened in.
InfernalGrape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jasuto is my all-time favorite iOS synth. I've been using it since the early days, and still continue to enjoy it. Sure, it doesn't have as much possibilities as certain alternatives, but I treat it more as an instrument, and a very fun one - even after all these years.

I see this website had plenty of discussions about it in the past, but I see that 1.5 update wasn't covered here - so I'll have to mention it. Imho, it belongs to the list of "important" updates that were shaping Jasuto along the way, just like it was before that: Jasuto -> Jasuto Pro -> Jasuto 1.2 -> Jasuto 1.5 (other versions are more like minor fixes, I'd say).

(keep in mind, 1.5 happened in 2013, two years later than previous post in this thread)

After that, there were some minor updates - in-app purchases were removed to new modules were included by default, ability to make subpatches (group nodes) was added, then some fixes for midi and later application was updated to 64-bit (which helped to survive the legendary "32-bit software massacre" that Apple did when iOS 11 came out).

Obviously, so called "Jasuto Studio" never happened. I find the whole situation very tragic considering that Jasuto was among the early pioneers of iOS music making apps scene, and it was indeed a brilliant one - but I guess it never gained a huge audience, so it joined the list of "obscure hidden gems" in the world of music making creations. As for Chris (developer of Jasuto), well. Later he worked for Moog (created Filtatron and also played a role in development of original Animoog), and eventually he got hired by Apple (to work on audio programming, I think). The latest update on Jasuto was in 2019 (that fixed a problem with .aiff samples) and that's it for now. At some point Chris tweeted about idea to crowdfound a new version of Jasuto, but nothing happened after that. Maybe, one time something will change... who knows.

But for now, I continue to enjoy it. Sure, over the years I tasted more "serious" modular software, both on iOS and PC, and even entered the world of hardware synths a bit. But I still keep returning to Jasuto as "my instrument" (i'm sure some of you here consider Nord Modular to be the same for you) when it comes to using iPad, especially for live performances. I also think that there is uniqueness to Jasuto that was not really "eclipsed" by anything else since then. Well, I'd say this is something that was often found in "early" days of iOS music making apps environment (2009-2015, perhaps - it's my favorite era, very creative and crazy in a good way) with apps like TC-11, Samplr, Borderlands, Curtis, SunVox, Different Drummer, iHexatone, Orphion, Noise.io, RicePad, SynthTronica, Donut, RISCy, TOPLAPapp, Stria and the likes.

Now, some stuff I did with Jasuto throughout years....

"Nothing of Course" (2010) - this was recorded in 2010, before I updated to Jasuto Pro. I knew very little about synthesis & modulars back then, so the whole process of building patches was pretty explorative-based, and these recording are what you would call "abstract noodles" mostly. Fun fact: I think the early versions of Jasuto had a bit different sound (if I may say, it was a bit more fat) but I don't have it anymore so I can't compare directly. Ah, a bit of reverb from Roland SP-404SX was used here for some tracks.

https://infernalgrape.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-of-course

"L​’​esprit d​’​escalier" (2013) - oh, that's my album which I prepared specifically to play live. Also it was sort of culmination of my first years with modular synthesis (though I'd say that my patching is pretty simplistic, and there is so much to learn more) & and I always incorporated samples into my scenes. Music-wise, it continued the approach of previous release but was more precise with what I wanted. I might note that during that era I was an enthusiastic listener of KK Null - and while I never reached the heights of his output, the influence was very strong, regardless. The audio recording of album is somewhat "raw" and I think the way I played the tracks during various live events was sometimes better (which, I think, happens often in semi-improvisational music that uses modulars). Anyway, this release is pretty important to me for many reasons. Oh, and I might mention that it was made before 1.5 update.

https://infernalgrape.bandcamp.com/album/l-esprit-d-escalier

Here is recording of live performance for it (2014), actually it was my debut (first time playing in front of unknown people). Sadly didn't have a way to project the display and audio quality is a bit off (on the other hand, acoustics of place where festival I participated in was held, definitely added a new colour to the sound), but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9Zl-Q0_fs

"Outtakes 2014​-​2017" (2017). First track is unrelated, but other three are Jasuto again (and two of them are "final" versions of tracks that appeared in concert above but were not present in album). While I studied synthesis a bit more by that time, I still might say I never exhausted the full potential of Jasuto, and there is still much more that could be done (despite all the limitations it plagued with) - even though I may say that my approach of making tracks in Jasuto has "matured" back then.

https://infernalgrape.bandcamp.com/album/outtakes-2014-2017

Two more tracks could be added to complement it, actually:
https://soundcloud.com/infernalgrape/231218a - rave-like beat.
https://soundcloud.com/infernalgrape/kurabiyesi - this I composed for non-game project I participated in, so it's "soundtrack" thing.

Which was the last "track" I've produced... as in 2020 pandemic happened, I lost a nice job, and since then life was crazy. I might say I haven't returned "fully" to music yet. Though i'm trying to, lately, ha-ha (spend last week toying with nord g2 demo software and browsing this forum).

As "bonus", here are some random videos I've recorded showcasing some noodles or songs.

P.S.

If you are looking for back-ups of Community Scenes that were available in Jasuto via in-app browser at some time, I have a partial archive. Keep in mind, some of scenes are a bit broken (wired connections disappeared), and also there was a glitch with "scene author" because of which some author names could be incorrect.

Here it is

I also would like to mention my good friend Trabouliste with whom I shared enthusiasm for Jasuto and who always was helpful and inspirational... check his channel for Jasuto and more.

https://www.youtube.com/@trabouliste1037/videos
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: