electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 28 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

Sorry for no reply guys, I have been away for some time
and now back, so can try and help.

Let me know if you are still having trouble with the START/STOP.

-ryk
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on the panel wiring of this right now, and have 2 small questions.

For the stage count switches I understand that I'm supposed to wire all the P2-P8's together, not connecting the p1's. For the Stage Gate Mode switches do I also not connect the P1's together? This isn't clear on the wiring diagram.

Also on the portamento pot, does 1A not connect to anything? Not even ground?

Sorry if these have already been covered in this thread - it's gotten huge, too long to search.
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
Hello

-ryk

Hi,

Yes, I am still challenged by this. In one of my M185, the play funciton starts automatically upon power on, while on the other one I need to press the start button.

Clicking start on both in order to stop playback does nothing, only reset is able to stop playing. Prev and Next work ok.

Whomper

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
sduck

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump -

Hoping someone sees my question above who has built this and can chime in with an answer. It doesn't have to be Ryk answering everything folks!
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Steve , i had a look behind my M185 build and yes , no wires to P1 for the row of gate switches , same as stage count .
Portamento , there is an outer pot leg with no connection on my build. I'm V2.1 with programable glide.

Here's the rear of my one , not the neatest but I'm very happy Smile
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/wires_m_185_122.jpg

A great sequencer , i love mine Smile

Good luck with the wiring.

Dave.
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
ryktnk wrote:
Hello

-ryk

Hi,

Yes, I am still challenged by this. In one of my M185, the play funciton starts automatically upon power on, while on the other one I need to press the start button.

Clicking start on both in order to stop playback does nothing, only reset is able to stop playing. Prev and Next work ok.

Whomper

Hello

hhmm, sounds a bit strange.

Does the Reset button stop the playing ?
It should only jump back to the first stage, not stop.

-ryk
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
I'm working on the panel wiring of this right now, and have 2 small questions.

For the stage count switches I understand that I'm supposed to wire all the P2-P8's together, not connecting the p1's. For the Stage Gate Mode switches do I also not connect the P1's together? This isn't clear on the wiring diagram.

Also on the portamento pot, does 1A not connect to anything? Not even ground?

Sorry if these have already been covered in this thread - it's gotten huge, too long to search.

Hello

Sorry for the delay.

Yes the P1 pins of the Stage Count and Stage Mode switches
are not connected to anything.

Also yes the 1A pin of the Portamento pot is not connected
to anything.

Sorry for any confusion.

-ryk
whomper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:

Hello

hhmm, sounds a bit strange.

Does the Reset button stop the playing ?
It should only jump back to the first stage, not stop.

-ryk

Oh, you're right. Just checked it now and RESET does not stop playback. I thought it did, but apparently I was wrong.

Nothing stops playback once started. (in one of my sequencers, playback starts upon power on, while in the other one, it is stopped until play is pressed, and then there is o way to stop...)

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
sduck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished my Ryk m185 Sequencer - with a panel by Julian of The Beast UK -

Ryk m185 Sequencer front

Ryk m185 Sequencer back 1

Ryk m185 Sequencer back 2

And I don't mean to brag (but I'm going to anyway!), but I had an interesting experience with this one - despite the tons of mad wiring in the back of this one, and being unsure about several parts, the thing worked perfectly on first power up! For some reason I even filmed a bad recording of the event (incomplete because the batteries in my flip phone died) -

I'd like to thank Ryk for the fantastic design, the pcb and the switches; Julian for the fab panel; and to everyone who's already built one of these so I could steal some inspiration (and try not to make some of the mistakes that have popped up).
a100user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work sduck
julian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

patchdub wrote:
julian wrote:
ps.

It looks like i got further than i thought with the rotary switch panel layout, so, if anyone is keen on these, if they want to let me know, ill see if i cant finish off the panel.

i would love to get a rotary panel if you get one done.

i have a version 2 board.

Sorry, i havent been following this thread recently.

Ive just had a look about, and it appears that i almost completed the rotary panel design.

Have a look below at whats currently on my screen. Theres probably not more than an hour or so left till its finished up.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

If anyone is after a 5u rotary panel, if they could let me know. I suspect this will be a small run, and i still need to finish up the design, so i would imagine the end price to probably be about GBP 60 per unit. Which, i know, isnt great (i think i was doing the ones like the photo above for arround GBP 50 last year, or even the year before - i forgett!)

Euro and Frac would also be possible, but id kind of like to sell more than 1-off to justify doing the setup : )

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

303monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there

Are there any slide switches for sale?
I missed out on the original run of them an d I have just got all my DIYing gear out of storage ready to get working on this project again.

Cheers
waveselector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are the build docs for v 2.0 available anywhere? Specifically I am looking for the value of Q6, R13, R16, R19, & R21, which the v2.1 build docs just say to omit but do not actually list the value. I would certainly appreciate any help!
ryktnk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

waveselector wrote:
Are the build docs for v 2.0 available anywhere? Specifically I am looking for the value of Q6, R13, R16, R19, & R21, which the v2.1 build docs just say to omit but do not actually list the value. I would certainly appreciate any help!

Hello

I have now added them to the first page of this thread.

-ryk
waveselector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent, thanks! I'm sure it will help any other stragglers out there that are still building...
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having to give up SDIY due to work comittments, so selling my part built M-185 Sequencer on Ebay, complete with 5U MOTM style panel, slide switches and populated pcb with V2.1 Pic. Just needs wiring up and its ready to go!

It's on Eb*y if anyone is interested

Also selling lots of other SDIY projects Sad
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had 2 boards and switch kits for WAY too long now, while trying to figure how to make a panel. So I finally gave in and beavered slots out of masonite and dug in to build one of these.

On completion here is where it stands:

The stage count and gate mode for each stage function properly, inc LEDs.
Transport controls function.
Max stages and stage CV function
Mode swt functions right
Subdivide swt seems right
Ext clock works

The CV out and Gate out are not sending anything yet. From the backside, voltages are being sent only to the active stage. All pots are fine and supplying voltage to the bus at their turn in the sequence. Obviously I cannot yet check the gate time and voltage range switch.

Everything looks physically tight, however with no full schematic I am not sure where to start poking.

Using a CD4069UBE and CD4013BCN as they were closest to the specified codes.

This really was not as hard as I thought it would be to build. And can already see from the flashing lights that it is going to be amazing.
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ALL BETTER NOW

AMAZING

I have not payed attention to the thread much for a long time. Are there/will there ever be more of these?
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well...come one...own up, what was the problem?

I still have 2 of these to build. I've had the PCBs nearly finished for months, but I've promised myself to finish my first dual synth voice panel and the S&H/quad LFO/VC ring mod expansion panel to go with it before I go off on other projects (and I've got a bunch in the works).

I like to hear about all the bug fixes so that if I encounter the same thing, I don't have to go in blind. Wink

numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually it was no bug at all
I was using it wrong.
I forgot, having not looked at the docs in several years except for the wiring guide, that the first gate position is NO GATE...duh

This is a ridiculous tool. The multi step stages are so useful, along with the step division.

I have been listening to it randomize for over an hour and it is truly RANDOM.

!!!
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another straggler here without switches. Anyone know where I can source these?
sduck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question - I have the 2.1 build, pictured above. In various video demos, and in the software version, when you select any of the 2-8 divisions on the stage selection switches for each step, you get a ratcheting effect - for instance, select 3, and you get 3 gates in the space of one beat. On mine, no ratcheting - no matter how I set the switches, I just get beats added on. Is this the way this is supposed to work? Or have I wired something wrong?
ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
Question - I have the 2.1 build, pictured above. In various video demos, and in the software version, when you select any of the 2-8 divisions on the stage selection switches for each step, you get a ratcheting effect - for instance, select 3, and you get 3 gates in the space of one beat. On mine, no ratcheting - no matter how I set the switches, I just get beats added on. Is this the way this is supposed to work? Or have I wired something wrong?

Hello

Sorry for the delayed response.

If the MODE switch on the particular stage is set to "II"
then the gate signal will play on each clock pulse for that stage.
So if the particular stage is set to "4" it will play four clock
pulses.
It will not "divide" the clock pulse into four steps per pulse.

I think the cause of the confusion is the details of the video
demo, where some stages are set to MODE "I"
When a stage play MODE "I" but with four steps, they sound
like one pulse, but they are only playing the first pulse of four.
When the next stage MODE is "II" it will play all clock pulses.

So without study the sequence carefully, it might sound like
the second stage is play multiple pulses per beat.

If you are interested in using this style, I suggest you
set the clock speed to something like 4 times the tempo
of what you might consider a "beat", so it is a bit like
setting it to quarter notes.

-ryk
ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:

Hello

The source I found for the switches says they no longer manufacturer them . . .

But, you can use normal 100k [linear] pots instead, if you
don't mind not having the clickstops.
Using pots is much simpler wiring, and also much easier to
make a front panel for.

-ryk
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

may I confirm, if possible-- the wiring instructions for using pots instead of switches-- these instructiuons are somewhere in the documentation?

I apologize, I can't download the build doc right now.

ryktnk wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

Hello

The source I found for the switches says they no longer manufacturer them . . .

But, you can use normal 100k [linear] pots instead, if you
don't mind not having the clickstops.
Using pots is much simpler wiring, and also much easier to
make a front panel for.

-ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 28 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: