electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
using TV to display audio signals
Page 4 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
CatchAce

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kerr_Avon wrote:
No don't. ........ perfectly good old oscilloscopes are about 20USD.

where exactly have you been looking? i repeatedly come up with the general consensus (google) that even the meagerest of scopes is not a dime below $200 USD.
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check craigslist. i just got a Leader LBO 523 and a bunch of probes for $40. Was asking $75 but I haggled him down.

I also got an EEG/ECG machine for $5 from a junk store down the road. Has an audio in and a CRT screen.

Check out my youtube channel to see both in action.

bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

so i've done this to an old B&W tv i found in the attic.

i left the vertical wires in place and connected an input jack to the horizontal wires. This gave me vertical waveforms when i ran audio into it.
so i rotated the coils 90 degrees to get horizontal waveforms.

the advantage of this is, that i can use the Vhold and Vsize trimpots to adjust the display to the respective waveform and somewhat "lock" the waveform to the sceen.

this is how it looks when i hook it up to one of the speaker outs of my home stereo:

old CRT tv as an oscilloscope/visualizer from the shizcake on Vimeo.

however, i would like to make this thingy standalone by adding a built-in amplifier. Because now, i can't turn up the volume on my stereo without altering the amplitude on the screen.

i had this module laying around, but the waves on the screen lose their smooth sexyness when i use it via my stereo's rec out.

pls compare the 2 attached pics

so my question is, what are my options? get anothe hifi amp and use it solely for the TV?
or are there any good low-distortion, low cost, low effort amp kits/modules/plans out there that are recommended for sth like this?

the coil reads around 1,7 ohms btw, not sure how long my stereo wants to deal with that..

regards
ben

sine_cool.jpg
 Description:
104 Hz sine through home stereo
 Filesize:  88.23 KB
 Viewed:  943 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sine_cool.jpg

sine_crooked.jpg
 Description:
104 Hz sine through KEMO amplifier module
 Filesize:  116.05 KB
 Viewed:  1098 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sine_crooked.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bikini-inspector wrote:

so my question is, what are my options? get anothe hifi amp and use it solely for the TV?
or are there any good low-distortion, low cost, low effort amp kits/modules/plans out there that are recommended for sth like this?

the coil reads around 1,7 ohms btw, not sure how long my stereo wants to deal with that..

I suggest going to a pawn shop, or 2nd hand shop, and pick up an old ugly relic stereo amp that nobody wants. Most solid-state amps should be able to kick 1.7 ohms. I would be careful driving your new display TV with a good home hifi.

Thanks for sharing...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, that's what i thought.

missed the flea market this morning because i was hung over, so maybe next week..

i've been thinking a little: would it make sense to put a transformer on the input (1:1 maybe)? would this fix impedance issues for the amplifier?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bikini-inspector wrote:

i've been thinking a little: would it make sense to put a transformer on the input (1:1 maybe)? would this fix impedance issues for the amplifier?

It might, but the only way to know is to experiment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i finally found an old schneider 6145ea "HIFI" amp at the flea market for 8 bucks. Sounds crappy, but works fine for the tv on the rec out of my regular amp and has 3 more switchable inputs (2 of which are working Smile).

don't care too much if this thing will be fried, so i ditched the transformer idea and hooked the tv straight to a speaker out.

anyway, thank you for your time and have a good one!
YashN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Using TV/Monitor chips to do audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have seen some of these installations, but inspired by the electronicpeasants, I have salvaged a lot of monitor chips.

What I would prefer is to find ways of reusing these chips for audio.
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's mine.

I connected the wires from the horizontal deflector coil to the vertical supply
Then I connected the wires from the vertical deflector coil to a small amplifier.
The output is very small. It is a horizontal line.
I'm not quite satisfied. But it still looks nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oTqdsvitY
BrotherJacob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: next stage: coloured Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Servus! The initial post by daniel mentioned, that it is possible to get a colour adjustable circuit bent tv running. unfortunately the links he provided in the beginning of the topic do not work anymore and I can't seem to find a hint on how to do that elsewhere. does someone know, where to find this information, as I am ok with most of the fiddling around but I cannot seem to figure it out by myself. he mentioned censtron doing that in 2006... yours, brother jacob
Page 4 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: