electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
My Sound Lab Ultimate (and Expander) Build thread
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
iopop3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: My Sound Lab Ultimate (and Expander) Build thread Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I start a new topic to celebrate the fact that I powered up my Ultimate today. Everything seemed to work from start apart from LFO1 being dead, turned out that I had forgotten to solder one side of the IC socket on U24. Fixing that and it worked as expected.

I have yet to figure out what kind of case I want. Most likely I go with something that have the Ultimate and Expander side by side as I've seen others do.

I spend quite a long time trying to come up with a method how to attach the PCB and panel to each other. Having finished a "best of CGS" panel a week ago I knew the Serge way of doing it is really good. Using that method in this project turned out quite good, it becomes a cable salad but its maintainable. The panel and pcb ended up being around 8 cm deep which more or less meet my goals on having a shallow build. Not sure if Im able to use the same method on the Expander since it doesn't seem to have as many good places for brackets.

The brackets are 70mm wide, the two sides are 30mm and middle section 35mm "high". I just cut, folded and drilled them myself. Very much free hand. The aluminum is around 0,5 mm thick and very flexible not sure if that'll bite in in the long run.

Also took a cue from Serge when it comes to knobs and color coding, with my own twist on it.

In the middle of a move so the Expander and case will have to wait until that is done. Told myself I wouldnt work on this until after the move but packing stuff into boxes is so boring that I had to multiplex it with wiring.. Smile

sl_ult_brackets.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.35 KB
 Viewed:  211 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sl_ult_brackets.jpg

sl_ult_inside_wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.83 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

sl_ult_inside_wiring.jpg

sl_ult_panel_final.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.3 KB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

sl_ult_panel_final.jpg

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats! Looks great.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
loydb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good. I'd never thought of wiring from the bottom instead of the top.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
iopop3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its been finished for a few weeks, but I haven't got around to post it here. I used the same method to mount pcb & panel on the Expander, I really love that way. so easy to work with and you do not need to have the case fully done before test. Apart from having forgotten to connect the cables to the inverter everything started up on the first try.

No onto the SL mark II.

mfos_ultimate+expander_final.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.74 KB
 Viewed:  212 Time(s)

mfos_ultimate+expander_final.jpg

mfos_expander_pcb+panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.32 KB
 Viewed:  189 Time(s)

mfos_expander_pcb+panel.jpg

ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I missed this first time. Superb build. Great idea to mount the PCB and "underwire", I havent see this on MFOS builds. I hope you are enjoying playing?
Gaetano_AU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, and congratulations on doing such a fine job, it looks great.
iopop3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I wish I could say I have got some good mileage from it.

However, the truth to be told I have spend most time on building other stuff..
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: