electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
The most irritating feature of my new Andy is......
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kola wrote:
You do all realise this forum will become very bland if people are only allowed to say how good it is all the time?

The same as if it is not allowed to say how good it is. This is the common attitude on GS - you are not allowed to say anything good about something they don't like.

I surely won't waste my precious time on arguing with you and I agree with everything Sunny wrote. And BTW, he is Sunny *Pedaal*, not *Peddle*, you should read more carefully ...

kola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look Sunny PEDDLE,

If all you have to do with your sad little life is argue with people in a different country who you will never meet face to face than your not the type for me.

Your what I class as a keyboard warrior. No doubt you cant cut it in the real world so are an absolute arse with people from the safety of your own home.

If you want me off the board then you got it, as I have no reason or want to stick around here. You are rude, arrogant and obnoxious and all from the safety net from your own home.

I go on forums to discuss, theorise and generally chat with people, but you are just a big chew on. You have turned this all personal, refuse to take on board not just mine but no less than 3 other members points re the Aux's touting crap like there Andy must be broken as their views don't not tally with your own. Perhaps its your Ears thats broken!!

TBH - English is not your first language and as such I think you have hardly a clue re half of what I said as you keep coming back with irrelevant points and accuse me of things I have never said like Gearslutz is a bible and that I do not own an Andromeda (I do) and accuse me of trolling and telling me I am here to knock the shine of it for others when i love my CURRENT andromeda to bits. Alot of personal comments there what I have done nothing to instigate at all.

So, enjoy your incredibly sad life behind your computer. Why dont you devote your time to writing some decent music as opposed the sheer crap you have posted on here?

Is that the best you can do with all that kit?? Im taking it you simply must be a collector and not a musician?

Hopefully we may come face to face one day and we can then test your bravery what I doubt very much exists.

MOD - Please delete my account/ I have no wish to remain on this board if this is how 7 year members are allowed to behave.

Don't be suppressed when Sunny Peddle comes up with a very hard man type reply after my account is gone. As said. I know his type well. Keyboard warrior.

Adios.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm

five minutes ago I was about to write :

Quote:
As an outsider, reading all this I think all you contributers here are of good will, be it a lil hot headed on a subject so near to you Wink

But it seems to go out of control a bit now - anything I can do to moderate? And no, I cant change this terrible summer Confused .

It's almost as if the A6 is analogue, and no two of them are the same Shocked

hrastprogrammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kola wrote:
TBH - English is not your first language and as such I think you have hardly a clue re half of what I said

Just to make it clear: If our first language is not English then we don't have a clue of what you said? Is this correct?

airlock

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes

Standing off to the side here it is easy to see that most of the posters in this thread are reading too much into what other posters have written, and the reactions have been typical as the discussion devolved into the kind of sniping usually seen not just in GS but the internet in general (and Usenet in particular.)

The A6 has flaws and quirks, the least of which are the noted difference between outputs, and it's not much fun being heavily invested in a dead platform facing dwindling parts supplies. It's hard to see how taking exception to how a poster expresses himself accomplishes much good. You guys, in theory, might need each other some day, so you should all cut each other a little slack and realize that there just may be some language barrier issues, maybe a little frustration, maybe a bad batch off coffee, WHATEVER, and try to communicate in a rational, mature manner.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Keyboard warrior
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsflF5Fyho
adios Hideing
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can overdrive the pre-filter mix of a Minimoog and Memorymoog too. For some reason, the Andromeda gets slagged for actually daring to offer this as a feature, and the Minimoog and Memorymoog does not. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you do not enjoy the overdriven characteristic. If so, do not use it. I notice that some people really don't like the sound -- the Voyager and Waldorf Pulse sometimes get slagged for a "plastic" sound, both of these synths also can overdrive the filter mixer. Sometimes I think these people would probably think the Memorymoog and Mini would be plastic sounding, too. Laughing For me, it adds a bit of edge when used right. The main thing that makes the A6 sound "plastic" to me is background tuning; when that's off, the synth sounds as good as they come.

I also don't get the "waveshaper" attribute being slapped on this feature (which did seem to start from a couple of GS people). Technically, I guess you could call all hard-clipping overdrive as wave-shaping, but typically when I see something with "wave shapper", you can actively control some of the shaping functionality and/or you can shape in ways far more than simple hard clipping (which is why you'd typically associate it with digital). Overdrive seems more appropriate.
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chill guys!

Airlock is right, this sort of thing happens on the internet all the time. Perhaps not surprising as most human communication is done non-verbally and forums remove a lot of it.

Plain speaking is often confused with aggressiveness and often leads to flame wars. I think that's what's happened here.

Anyway I think everyone agrees there is some difference but clearly many disagree on just how much.

I think the conditions are very important.

If you notice, the people who seem to notice it the most have all played around with reducing the waveshaping/overdrive/whatever you want to call it.

If the Main outs are adding some form of distortion it'll not be very noticeable on an already distorted signal. However if you're comparing outputs with a non-distorted signal you'll be much more likely to notice it.

I today joined the exclusive "2 andys" club and was comparing outputs on the new one. It's there, but hardly noticeable - but this is with the default sounds.

hrastprogrammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:
I today joined the exclusive "2 andys" club

Congratulations and welcome thumb up

I am wondering how many members are in this club now ... you, Sunny Pedaal, me ... Anyone else?

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

at least one other guy in the netherlands i know from the dutch " synthforum.nl "
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to keep the Andy going for a long time so I was going to buy parts for the other one. Then I seen the prices! Just the voice and the computer boards would cost £1300 once you add in postage and taxes.

If I also got say the LCD parts as well it'd go past £1500. For not much more you can get a complete Andy, so I did Smile

The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We should all take a picture of our girlfriend/wives naked around our Andromeda's to chill this tension out
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
at least one other guy in the netherlands i know from the dutch " synthforum.nl "

Hoi hoi 64 oscillators zijn lekker
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

by the way does anyone really use a mixer with their A6? what would the practical uses of it anyways Im a synth noob so the concept seems strange to me

the more i learn about electronic music I can see why a live musician would want to be able to mix themselves live on stage and just sent their output to the house mixer PA etcetc
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you use the voice outs, you need a mixer
Especially if you wnat to use external effects units
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolColJ wrote:
If you use the voice outs, you need a mixer
Especially if you wnat to use external effects units

can you give me a workflow or recording situation where you would use the voice outs via a mixer versus taking the main LR out to an audio interface?
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well normally I would reserve the main outs for stereo polyphonic or unison sounds that require the A6 effects, and things that I want to sound "warmer" as they main outs are not as bright.

Aux outs for the same as above, but different processing or dry

voice outs for monophonic parts that I want to be processed different from all the above. Say the kick will usually be dry for me, and compressed, so a voice out is used. I use the voice outs for mostly drum tones

Off course I tend to run many things live. If you recording one part at a time into a DAW, then it doesn't matter. But you would still need to have things running live for a while, while creating the song.
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolColJ wrote:
Well normally I would reserve the main outs for stereo polyphonic or unison sounds that require the A6 effects, and things that I want to sound "warmer" as they main outs are not as bright.

Aux outs for the same as above, but different processing or dry

voice outs for monophonic parts that I want to be processed different from all the above. Say the kick will usually be dry for me, and compressed, so a voice out is used. I use the voice outs for mostly drum tones

Off course I tend to run many things live. If you recording one part at a time into a DAW, then it doesn't matter. But you would still need to have things running live for a while, while creating the song.

ah ok so you get 16 monophonic voices each going to a physical channel strip that you could send to EQ etc and have manual control over each individual voice

I could then run the mixer into my DAW and then sequence the individual voices or trigger them live - 16 channels in mix mode each with it's own programmable 16 step sequence

In a live format do you always run your entire rig through a mixer that you personally control? Ie you just provide a stereo feed to the house board which you can mix/alter live onstage
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really, more like a few mono voices and the rest poly

I don't play live anymore, so it's irrelevant Smile
In the past when I last performed at dance parties I did have my own mixer next to my rig. With a stereo feed to the live sound engineer's rig
elmacaco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, the clipping in the mixer stages was not a feature, it was oversight for sure, it isn;t mentioned in the manual, and happens way to early to be considered overdrive. The problem is the mixers have a lack of headroom. overdrive should happen in the last 20% of the mixer volume, not the first 20%.

It's not a big deal, but it is a bit of a pain to keep the levels down so low to avoid the clipping, If I could get this fixed, I would.

I overlook it because I lvoe the Andromeda, but it isn't a good part of the design.

Also, the voice output allocation scheme is unfortunate, but I do not know of any analog synth that has the kind of dynamic allocation to outputs that a VA has. Even the Xpander and Matrix 12 which have great multimodes have individual voice outputs and that's that.

What the Xpander has on the Andromeda is that you can assign a range of voices to a midi channel, so your 3 voice poly will use voices 1,2, and 3, and then the outputs are managable. It would be good if the A6 let you do that, but it doesn't as far as I know, you can assign a single voice to a patch if it is mono, but all the poly sounds will just share the voices, forcing you to use the Aux and Main outs for polyphonic patches. Which isn't such a big deal, but it would be better that way. I tend to use just the main and aux outs as I rarely use more than 4 parts from my Andromeda and if I do I can combine it with another sound on on of the outs.

Both of these are fair criticisms of the Andromeda, but I think once you find what you like about it you realize that they are small matters comparitively.

The Envelopes could have been done a bit better too as far as the knob ranges. Who needs a 10 minute attack time and how often?
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: