electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
Modification of the Drum Tone Synth Drum
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Modification of the Drum Tone Synth Drum
Subject description: Updated, revised, improved
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've given the Synth Drum of the 9302K Drum Tone Board front panel controls for Pitch, Decay (Q), and depth of frequency Sweep. What I did was add a few pots and resistors and cut a trace on the pcb so that the trimpot that had been controlling "Q" (resonance, Decay,) instead limits the maximum Q that can be set with a front panel potentiometer.

Then I went a little further and added a switch and diodes to distort the waveform, changing the timbre of the drum tone. The last addition was another switch and a capacitor to add some "Impact" click to the sound.

Full instructions and a few more samples can be found here:
http://www.sdiy.org/richardc64/new_drums/paia_mod.html

Edit: The LFO option does not work as shown. I'll post a correction when I come up with one. Sorry.

synthd_final.gif
 Description:
LFO feature doesn't work. Leave D3 anode connected to trigger/C13
"Warp" improved by substituting l.e.d.s for Si diodes 03/30/11
 Filesize:  18.28 KB
 Viewed:  18136 Time(s)

synthd_final.gif

low-freq.mp3
 Description:
Low pitch with varied Decay. I think the low end corresponds with low- or mid-Tom?

Download
 Filename:  low-freq.mp3
 Filesize:  229.39 KB
 Downloaded:  1511 Time(s)

f_d_s_d.mp3
 Description:
Different Pitches, Decays, Sweep amount and dynamics. Also Impact clicks.
Sounds were triggered with a piezo & drumpad connected to an LM324.

Download
 Filename:  f_d_s_d.mp3
 Filesize:  615.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1543 Time(s)

Last edited by richardc64 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 am; edited 3 times in total
richardc64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject:
Subject description: LFO Fix

Content Deleted
richardc64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Revised, Improved

I've discovered that the method of controlling the Decay can be greatly simplified. Another discovery was that the transistor method of bringing about LFO/External modulation of the Pitch does in fact work -- as long one doesn't expect too much from it.

I worked out these changes on the Conga oscillator; they can be applied to the SynthDrum or any of the other voices. I recommend, however, that if the SynthDrum was modified the earlier way and is working, that its Decay wiring NOT be changed to this new way.

Decay
Instead of the messy cut-and-jumpering around the trimpot to insert a front panel pot into that part of the circuit, I left that part mostly unchanged and placed a 250k pot between capacitor C10 and GROUND. If I had left the leads of C10 long enough I could've just clipped the one closest to the edge of the board, bent it up and soldered to it. Instead I had to desolder C10, then re-install it with only one lead in the hole nearest R17.

Trimpot R21 is still used to adjust for the longest decay when the front panel DECAY pot is rotated fully clockwise. (The absolute longest decay trimpot setting might be unstable and it would be best to back off a tiny bit from that setting.) One change I made there was to decrease resistor R20. This made the part of the DECAY pot's rotation that had little or no effect smaller. I decreased R20 by soldering a 4.7M in parallel with it, resulting in approximately 2.18Meg. 2M, 2.2M, or 2.7M will work.

Pitch and Sweep
The value of the Pitch pot and the new value for R19 were chosen to give a range higher and lower than the non-modified pitch. Other pot values I tried were 50k and 250k.

To bring about modulation by LFO or an external CV (positive only), I replaced the diode used in the SynthDrum mod with an NPN transistor. (I had given up on that too easily, the first time I tried it on the SynthDrum.) It's possible to get just the right (wrong,) combination of Pitch, Decay and Sweep settings that the oscillator can be heard being weakly re-triggered by the LFO, or, once triggered, it never decays. Backing off the Sweep depth will prevent that.

Because of the 100k Sweep pot, a triggered Glide doesn't last as long as it did in the SynthDrum -- which normally would be fine with me since I dislike long glides. But it was too short even for my taste, so I increased the Glide cap to 1uF. Note that if you don't want LFO/Ext. modulation and only want Glide, the earlier method of diode plus 1M pot works well enough.

Warp and Miscellaneous
Better than silicon or Ge diodes, or red l.e.d.s, GREEN l.e.d.s produce a much more pronounced change in the sound. Nothing subtle about it.

A final change was to increase R15. I'm sure there's a legitimate reason why the resistors' values at that location vary so widely among the different oscillators, but 330 ohms just didn't seem right to me. I used 22k, close to what's originally specified for the SynthDrum and Tom.

Tweaks
Triggers should be 5-20mS in duration. Too short will shorten the Decay or not fully charge the Glide capacitor. Too long will produce an annoying thump or a severe "Impact" click you have no control over.

Triggering may need to be "softened" with a cap to ground between C9 and R15.

When Warp is on Decay is shortened. (Actually, the envelope is truncated.) Therefore, when switching from a reasonably short non-warped sound to warped, Decay will sound too short. A not-so-simple refinement would be to make Warp a double-pole switch, with the 2nd pole putting a resistor in parallel with the Decay pot when Warp is on. Or you could just remember to readjust Decay when switching between Warped and non-Warped.

conga_sch.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.4 KB
 Viewed:  17858 Time(s)

conga_sch.gif

cong_wire.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.1 KB
 Viewed:  963 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

cong_wire.gif

Last edited by richardc64 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
richardc64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Conga" Samples

1) A boring, long decay, non-warped sound, followed by four short Warped.

2) various speed and depth LFO modulations.

3) I was unable to achieve a truly "metal" sound with audio-rate modulation, but combined with Warping I got a sound interesting in its own right.

1plus4.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  1plus4.mp3
 Filesize:  107.75 KB
 Downloaded:  1452 Time(s)

cong_modu.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cong_modu.mp3
 Filesize:  294.29 KB
 Downloaded:  1513 Time(s)

not_metal.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  not_metal.mp3
 Filesize:  99.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1634 Time(s)

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very good detail work, Richard! I like the first sample the best, although the second sample brought back memories of Carl Palmer's drum synth solo in Toccata! Smile. Although, you know how my memory is lately! Wink
richardc64

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. That was quick. Thanks, Dan.

Demos of different "Conga" pitches, glide, decays, and impact would've sounded pretty much the same as those for the SynthDrum, so I included these.

Looks like you and I are the only ones posting here. pale

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
Jump to: