electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Spooly Master
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Spooly Master Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i know, ive got no imagination with circuit names Very Happy

Edit : R4 in the schematic is 1m but i say in the audio that its 100k. it is 100k on my circuit but i guess it wouldnt really matter what the value is Very Happy

spooly master.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  spooly master.bmp
 Filesize:  385.06 KB
 Downloaded:  1478 Time(s)

Last edited by bubzy on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
madskill42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I've already seen this one Smile

Samples?
bubzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive not posted this circuit before, maybe someone else has done it i have posted the "SpooKy MasHer" this is the "SpooLy MasTer" Very Happy

STE-007.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  STE-007.mp3
 Filesize:  2.39 MB
 Downloaded:  1588 Time(s)

madskill42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's kinda what I meant Smile

Sound pretty cool for two chips. I tried to use 4040 for dividing clock for 4017, but this sound much better! Can you run audio (like sines) through 4040? I can imagine it would sound rather strange Smile

And those diodes makes it sound like Mario's Nightmare!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is one wild and crazy circuit. Never seen anything quite like it. Sounds great too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

madskill42 wrote:
Can you run audio (like sines) through 4040? I can imagine it would sound rather strange Smile

never tried it, but as far as I know, CMOS chips, using digital logic, can only process squarewaves ie. on off/0v Vcc/ 1 0 signals.

sndbyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that sounds pretty good, thanks for posting. I'm going to have to try breadboarding this circuit this weekend!
bubzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

been playing with this today and you can get some really nice rythyms out of this unit too, if you run a jumper straight from pin 2 or pin 3 (or both for another rythym) to the output capactior (positive side)

also a very high resistance pot in place of r4 (i used a 2m pot) gives some really nice sounds, slows the whole thing right down.

STE-008.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  STE-008.mp3
 Filesize:  3.72 MB
 Downloaded:  1438 Time(s)

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing this circuit! I like it a lot! Crazy sounds. I've experimented with pot values and cap values, and there's some interesting stuff. Changing which pins to use on the 4040 gives different stuff too. I'm thinking of putting it in a box.

Since they all have the same pin configuration, I blindly tried swapping the 4011 for a 4070 XOR, 4071 OR, 4077 XNOR and 4081 AND, but none of them produced anything. Maybe I messed something up.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
Since they all have the same pin configuration, I blindly tried swapping the 4011 for a 4070 XOR, 4071 OR, 4077 XNOR and 4081 AND, but none of them produced anything. Maybe I messed something up.

You didn't mess anything up; you just used the wrong chips Laughing

The 4011 NANDs, which are incorrectly drawn as NORs, are configured as oscillators. A 4070 XOR output will be 0 if both inputs are the same, so in this circuit it won't oscillate. Similarly -- or rather, inversely -- a 4077 XNOR output will be 1 if both inputs are the same, so that won't oscillate here either. The 4071 OR and 4081 AND don't invert, so those will not oscillate.

If you had tried a 4001 NOR it would've worked.

Cool circuit.

Last edited by richardc64 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bubzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they are incorrectly drawn as i just changed the schematic from some 4001's and changed the text on the chip Very Happy
i put it down to unadulterated ignorance.
and ty all for the kind words. this may form part of my "i propose a challenge" setup. but if it doesnt its been great fun messing about with these cmos chips.
RingMad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:

You didn't mess anything up; you just used the wrong chips Laughing
[... explanations ...]
If you had tried a 4001 NOR it would've worked.

Yeah, thanks for the explanations... I figured it had something to do with the logic, but I was too dumb/lazy to work it out in advance. I was just hoping I'd get lucky. Alas, I don't have any 4001's on hand.

Anyhow, I'm playing with the circuit right now. With various mods, it's pumping out a slow beat, which is not completely regular. And I like that.

[edit: added: ] Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention... I've got this plugged into my oscilloscope, and either it just can't keep up, or this thing puts out the bizarrest patterns! Maybe I'll try to do a little video.
RingMad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, after changing cap values, adding a cap switch box for C2, and the configuration of which pins are used on the 4040, i made this little video of my oscilloscope screen whilst i tweaked knobs and switches....

http://youtu.be/BURzs1Gc_QA
bubzy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh, i hadn't thought of hooking this up to a scope, looks cool. nice work Smile
RingMad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I've been working on this box since July and finally finished it. And now I see the Yum Yum Box also based on this crazy great circuit! Originally called the "Spooly J. Master" then shortened to "Spooly J" (partly because the enclosure I went with was a bit cramped for all the panel stuff).

The way I came up with to make this very flexible was to have 4 tap points and a matrix of terminals, each one connected to a different Q output of the 4040. Sounds like a recipe for chip-frying with static!
Also, the box is sensitive to flesh on the left side... i.e. moving your hand near it can change the sound!

Thanks again to Bubzy for sharing this cool circuit!

Video demo...
http://youtu.be/SEGU3fDxSdQ

Spooly J box top view sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.16 KB
 Viewed:  503 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Spooly J box top view sm.jpg

bubzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool box, nice sounds. i feel like a proud parent Smile
jean bender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, great work there.
You can feell proud parent, bubzy, for real !! Your early design is great for experimentation.
Our Yumyum box gives us lots of fun !!

www.electroncanon.org
micheline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad, this is fantastic! Great crazy sounds!
Quote:
4 tap points and a matrix of terminals, each one connected to a different Q output of the 4040.
I don't understand what you mean. What are the 4 tap points? How you wire that?

Thanks!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome micheline to electro-music.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micheline wrote:
RingMad, this is fantastic! Great crazy sounds!
Quote:
4 tap points and a matrix of terminals, each one connected to a different Q output of the 4040.
I don't understand what you mean. What are the 4 tap points? How you wire that?
Thanks!

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

OK, maybe I should draw a schematic of what I built, but I'm leaving town a few days, so it will have to wait. In the meantime, perhaps I can explain referring to Bubzy's schematic...

Firstly, the matrix of "Powers of Two" terminals (bolts) are numbered 1 through 12, and they are wired directly to the corresponding Q output pins of the 4040. e.g. terminal 1 is wired to Q1, terminal 3 is wired to Q3, etc..

Now, on the schematic... see the wire between pin 9 of the 4040 and the anode of D2? Well, instead of connecting it to pin 9, I connect it to my tap point "D" terminal. Now, with the alligator clip on that terminal, I can make the same connection as in the schematic (i.e to pin 9, which is Q1) by clipping it onto the "1" terminal. Or, I could connect it to any of the other Q outputs, thus making it more flexible.

HTH
micheline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! Thanks for the welcoming ! This is a great forum. Sorry, I should have said hello before posting, I was too excited by that Spooly Master !

Thanks RingMad for taking the time to explain it. I'm not sure though about the "D" Terminal. If you don't mind drawing a schematic, I'll be more than happy. If you don't, I'll come back with some questions...

Many thanks!
Micheline
RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micheline wrote:
I'm not sure though about the "D" Terminal.

Look at the photo of my box above... one of the terminals (bolts) is labelled "D". I'll draw a schematic when I get back next week....

J.
RingMad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, here's the schematic. I still haven't gotten the hang of Eagle, so it's easier for me to draw it by hand... enjoy.

Spooly_J_schematic_1024.jpg
 Description:
"Spooly J" hand-drawn schematic.
 Filesize:  299.25 KB
 Viewed:  736 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Spooly_J_schematic_1024.jpg

micheline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeaaaaah ! RingMad, thank you so much for that. I really appreciated it. I'll try it in a couple of days when I got home.

Many many thanks to you as well as bubzy !
micheline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
I know this is a simple circuit, I thought I would be able to do it but I have to confess that my reading skills for schematic are zero. Does someone have a picture of the breaboard finished? I would be a great help for learning ...
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: