electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
S-1000 Musings
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
khobby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: S-1000 Musings
Subject description: Beyond the Owner's Manual
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Relative to the individual audio break out jacks for each VCO, the warning is given: "these are very hot signal outputs".

Has anyone tested them with a multimeter -- with the level maxed out (hard right)? How hot are they?

Also, if one were to "VCO AUDIO OUT" from VCO1, this would prevent it from moving into the Waveshaper/Filter/VCA section unless it reentered the path via their "AUDIO BREAK IN" jack, right? If so, what would happen if the the VCOs were forced to SYNC, with VCO1 being broken from the path?
khobby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Relative to interfacing a guitar with the S-1000, the Manual states: "it's best to amplify the signal somewhat". What range would be ideal?

The recommended input level for the FILTER is "0.5v p-p to 2 v p-p", would this relate to the WAVESHAPER too? Is "0.5v p-p to 2 v p-p" the "somewhat" originally cited?
khobby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Relative to the two VCO CV IN jacks under each VCO, I understand that they combine with the main Pitch CV source rather than breaking it, but does the first octave occur from 0 volts to 0.25 volts, and the second octave occur from 0.25 volts to 0.75 volts, with these (just as it does with the main PITCH CV IN)? I'm guessing the answer to be no.
khobby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Relative to the three AUDIO BREAK IN jacks (WAVESHAPER, FILTER,and VCA) could one theoretically run three separate external signals through these (one signal per input), as demonstrated?

Signal #1: WAVESHAPER AUDIO BREAK IN ---> FILTER ---> VCA

Signal #2: FILTER AUDIO BREAK IN ---> VCA

Signal #3: VCA AUDIO BREAK IN
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: S-1000 Musings
Subject description: Beyond the Owner's Manual
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

khobby wrote:
Relative to the individual audio break out jacks for each VCO, the warning is given: "these are very hot signal outputs".

Has anyone tested them with a multimeter -- with the level maxed out (hard right)? How hot are they?

They are hot by line level standards but not really by synthesizer signal standards. The comment as I interpret it in the manual is to warn guitar players about minding line levels.

Peaks in excess of 3V p-p are common. Note that it varies, every S-1000 has its own personality. I measure 1-1.5V typical.

Quote:

Also, if one were to "VCO AUDIO OUT" from VCO1, this would prevent it from moving into the Waveshaper/Filter/VCA section unless it reentered the path via their "AUDIO BREAK IN" jack, right?

Correct

Quote:

If so, what would happen if the the VCOs were forced to SYNC, with VCO1 being broken from the path?

Sync is a separate path via the sync switch, at least on my Wretch. There is no effect on the sync output of VCO2 if you insert a plug into VCO1's VCO AUDIO OUT.

Home,My Studio,and another view
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

khobby wrote:
Relative to interfacing a guitar with the S-1000, the Manual states: "it's best to amplify the signal somewhat". What range would be ideal?

signal levels as noted in my previous reply. put the guitar through a line amp or recording input stage. Use the line out.

Quote:

The recommended input level for the FILTER is "0.5v p-p to 2 v p-p", would this relate to the WAVESHAPER too? Is "0.5v p-p to 2 v p-p" the "somewhat" originally cited?

The waveshaper actually works better with lower levels, especially the pulser. High levels swamp the pulser. This has been referred to elsewhere in this forum and is also in the manual, it should be noted as true.

So to be clear, 0.5 is kinda normal line level (1.0 nominal) and 2v is kinda hot. Or somewhat.

If you're feeding a guitar to the filter, use a mixer AUX feed or a preamp output.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

khobby wrote:
Relative to the two VCO CV IN jacks under each VCO, I understand that they combine with the main Pitch CV source rather than breaking it, but does the first octave occur from 0 volts to 0.25 volts, and the second octave occur from 0.25 volts to 0.75 volts, with these (just as it does with the main PITCH CV IN)? I'm guessing the answer to be no.

It will depend on the trimmer settings and the individual response of the valves/tubes specifically the gas regulators. Do not think that the Wretch is a precise instrument. The values you quote are nominal values for the CV inputs. However the VCOs are quite likely to misbehave, it's part of the charm of the Wretch.

The factory setting as per the manual is that the VCOs should see 0-.25V for the first octave and .25-.75V for the second. That does not guarantee any sort of linear response from the VCOs however.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

khobby wrote:
Relative to the three AUDIO BREAK IN jacks (WAVESHAPER, FILTER,and VCA) could one theoretically run three separate external signals through these (one signal per input), as demonstrated?

Signal #1: WAVESHAPER AUDIO BREAK IN ---> FILTER ---> VCA

Signal #2: FILTER AUDIO BREAK IN ---> VCA

Signal #3: VCA AUDIO BREAK IN

No. They are break-ins, not break-outs. You can do any one of the three options, but 2 supersedes 1, and 3 supersedes 2 and 1. Each breaks the internal signal chain. You cannot get the output of the waveshaper on a stock Wretch without following the audio chain through the VCA. It's semi modular, but not totally modular. You could theoretically replace the break ins with tip-ring breakouts but you'd probably want to talk to Eric about it. I've had mine apart and I don't see an easy way to do that.

Disclaimer: I am a Wretch owner, not the manufacturer. Eric can probably comment with more authority. All Wretch Machines are unique instruments, as far as I can tell, and are not predictable or precision (or linear) response instruments. That's actually the reason I love mine. Chaos is good.

khobby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you EdisonRex for your kind and thorough responses. I now have another question. Relative to the Trigger Input, the S-1000 Manual states the following:

"It will accept a 5v, 10v or 12v positive trigger signal."

Then it goes on to state:

"Even a strong audio signal can trigger it."

To me, this makes it seem as though any trigger voltage between 5v and 12v is fine. If this is true, then would there be any problem in consistently implementing a 6v trigger voltage (rather than 5v, 10v or 12v)?
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are most welcome, they are actually interesting questions you are asking.

With regard to the trigger input, 6v should work. It's a fairly liberal trigger input in that it isn't particularly sensitive once a trigger has happened. I tend to hold the trigger open with a DC offset from a Moog CP-351's DC mixer, for example. Use the AR to keep the filter and VCA open.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
Jump to: