electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
is my ribbon broken on new a6? led won't show up when going
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rokuez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: is my ribbon broken on new a6? led won't show up when going Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got a new andromeda. Just getting into the synth, and I think my ribbon may be not working completely.

No matter what patch I go to the ribbon LED will not stay lit once I go to the left of the number 80 above the ribbon.

If I go to the right of 80 it the green LED will appear, but if I go to the left of 80 on any patch this LED will not show up.

Should the ribbon LED turn on whenever I am touching the ribbon?

Hopefully this is just due to the way the patches are programmed. Please not that it functions this way for all patches.

seamonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi rokuez, congrats on picking up an Andromeda.
I'm still learning it myself but I checked and the light remains on across the entire ribbon until I lift my finger.
It almost sounds as if someone programmed a split on the ribbon controller.
Possibly a reset of the Andromeda would correct this back to the factory default if that's the problem, however, I'm not experienced enough to give you advice at this time.
Hopefully someone here can answer your question, if not I'd call Alesis support.
Good luck.
rokuez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I supposedly got my andromeda new. I'll start another thread where I took pics of when i took it out of its box, so hopefully some ppl here can verify that it is indeed a new andromeda and not a re-boxed a6...

Concerning someone programing a split on the ribbon controller... that would definitely mean that my andromeda was not new I assume?

Also the ribbon controller isn't precisely split. I'm guessing that the little dash under the ribbon controller is the split point? My ribbon LED stops working not when I drag my finger to the left of the slit point, but when I drag it past where the number 80 is above the ribbon controller. So basically the ribbon LED stops working one inch past the split point. & this is for all patches in all the three banks.

I can basically use the ribbon controller, but once I drag my finger to the left of the number 80 (above the ribbon controller) the ribbon LED turns off, and the ribbon issues no control to the patch(s)

Really digging the a6 but want to find out if I need to send this back, if the ribbon is just programmed that way, and who programmed it like that???

andyval8088

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my A6 back in November and my ribbon is not working correctly either. The LED's work fine but it is not tracking right. At certain points on the ribbon it gets confused with the current value and pitch/filter/etc seems to jump all over. I considered sending it back but I love this synth and cant do without it right now. I am considering sending it to alesis before my warranty is up, waiting to see if anything else develops.
I haven't tried reseting to see if it is software related. I will give it a try sometime soon.
rokuez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From this thread

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=factory+reset&t=16867

sunny pedaal wrote:
(copied from the manual ! recommended, read it twice, plus the tips + tricks, from beginning till end !)

POWER UP MODES
We have already mentioned a few power up modes that are entered by holding down a soft button while powering up the A6. Here is a summary of all of them:
POWER UP WHILE HOLDING FUNCTION
Soft Button 1 Forces A6 to load default Program and Mix. This is useful if the A6 has received corrupted data, causing it to hang.
Soft Button 2 Enters front panel debug mode.
Soft Button 3 Initializes all user RAM. This is also known as a Hard Reset. Warning, this will erase all User Programs and Mixes, replacing them with the factory default User Programs and Mixes!
Soft Button 4 Initializes all Global parameters, including tuning tables.
Soft Button 5 Re-calibrates Mod Wheel and Ribbon Controller.
Soft Button 6 Sends software OS out as MIDI Syx Ex dump.
Soft Button 7 Enables the A6 to receive software Syx Ex dump (OS or bootloader).
Soft Button 8 Replaces the factory default User Programs and Mixes with the User Bank Programs and Mixes. The next time a RAM initialization is done (Soft Button 3), these banks will be used to initialize the User Banks.

I doubt you can hold down both 3 & 5 o make it do both at the same time.

Now I wonder if I should do soft button 3 first.... and if it doesn't work I guess try starting it up with soft button 5?

seamonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, I'm sure this is a simple fix.
I googled ribbon controller problem on Andromeda and found a link back to this site. Laughing

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28338.html

good luck Very Happy
rokuez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seamonkey wrote:
Hey guys, I'm sure this is a simple fix.
I googled ribbon controller problem on Andromeda and found a link back to this site. Laughing

good luck Very Happy

thank you sir!!!!

After reading through the thread that you linked I ended up trying starting up reset/re-calibration procedures first.

From the thread you linked

LamerDeluxe wrote:

Soft Button 5 Re-calibrates Mod Wheel and Ribbon Controller.

& now the ribbon LED is coming on properly!!!!

Was about to go through the opening procedures as shown below in the thread from edobedo (great tutorial for opening the a6 by the way!)

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=loose+cable+open&t=20629

thanks again seamonkey!!

seamonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome, that's awesome, glad it helped! Very Happy Hopefully it will help andyval as well.
I couldn't believe the second page of google had the link coming back here, ah yes, the magic of Google. Cool

Those pictures of opening the Andy remind me of the time I opened up my Korg Wavestation and applied lithium grease to fix sticking keys..I wound up doing it 3 times.
kpatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For future reference, soft button 3 (which performs a "hard" reset) will also recalibrate the mod wheel and ribbon controller... you'll know this because you'll be prompted to set the mod wheel to zero before continuing.

Soft button 5 just does the calibration without erasing anything else.

Seems like a lot of new Andromedas arrive not properly calibrated, or initialized. On another forum, one user's mod wheel didn't work out of the box, and another got no sound, until they did a hard reset.
andyval8088

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did soft button 5 and that totally fixed mine. Thanks!
seamonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's good news andy, I like easy fixes. Very Happy
fireroasted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Doh!!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys,
Wanted to post a quick thank you. I have worked like crazy on my Andy, which I bought busted. Some long stories posted on this site. Then didn't have any time to play it for a while. Noticed the other day the ribbon wasn't working on the lower half. Ended up doing a 'not seeing the forest for the trees' thing. Took it apart, checked the cables, searched. Frustrated, because it would test fine with the soft button for checking the hardware. Figured it was the main board I had replaced a couple of times. Gave up.

Decided today to take some time to fix this long and complex task. Then read this post, realized I hadn't tried the 5 soft key reset of the ribbon, and bingo!!!
Works perfect. I am a moron. A happy moron, but a moron. Smile

Thanks

The Andy rules
The Zombie Holocaust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Doh!!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fireroasted wrote:
Works perfect. I am a moron. A happy moron, but a moron. Smile

Thanks

The Andy rules

I try to think all the time and nothing happens Embarassed
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought it was soft button 4....
fireroasted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fyi

On my unit Soft 4 will
Initialize Global memory

Soft 5 did the ribbon controller reset.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: