electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Dean Pace Bass
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So are you getting any joy from your bass, then?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play it un-amplified, because it will take another five weeks until the new piëzo elements will arrive, but I can wait Smile
Still palyoing the double bass and the bass guitar!

Wout

And a lot of synths, of course Smile
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff, Wout! Btw, I started thinking, you might like to try a trick my friend does sometimes playing acoustic guitar in an electric setting: He splits the signal, setting up two signal chains in parallel. One goes through a DI, straight to the mixer, the other goes to a smallish amp (valve for preference), set to breaking up, but only a smidgeon of distortion. The clean channel is set to scoop the mids, leaving only lows and highs. On the amp one, the lows and highs are cut as much as possible. The combined signal, if set up right, sounds more natural and lively than just the usual "straight to the board" sound, though it's not something you try first time around in front of an audience - it takes time ti get just so! Wink
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's funny...
This evening (In Europe it's already half way the evening) I am experimenting with my accoustic bass guitar, using a mic, a single coil element (Fishman) and the piëzo bridge element...
Will have a hear for sure!

Wout
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So Wout, any news on yer luverly Dean?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totaly silence from Dean.
I will have to take a look to try some things myself then.
Was thinking about that last night...

Wout
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's not good at all from the folks at Dean. Should we name and shame them?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try it Smile
I met those guys in Frankfurt last spring and they made Ozzy Osborn in his wildest time look like a real sissy...

Wout
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, the Electric Upright Bass. Nice instrument. Smile

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/category/7-UPRIGHT_BASS_PICKUPS.html
The Schaller pickup sounds nice (played with a guy who owns an EUB with the Schaller pickup.)
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Smile

Wout
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those bull fiddles seem really nice, and not prohibitively priced at that!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, still no answer from the Dean guys (more than a year now...) so I decided to try something myself...

Started cleaning up: no difference, the A string was still distorted and the tone died to quickly and abrupt.
Second action: checking the internal wires: all in good shape and after all there was sound…
Third action: fine tuning the bridge and… There it was, a sound like the other three strings…
To a piëzo pick up there has to be a good contact between the string and the element.

Playing the thing with a smile on my face Very Happy

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, to be frankly about this all...

Dean guitars are rather good and okay concerning the hardware. I bought an Edge 09 Mahogny bass for less than € 100.- new and it left the factory with a very well fine tuned finger board: all notes everywhere on the stick are in tune! Besides the Pace Bass I also own a Dean EAB frettless (both are always in tune, of course) and on these I had to change something to the electric components too, so that part of the instruments could do better...

Wout
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*BUMP*
So Wout, how is the Pace coming along?

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
*BUMP*
Ouch! Watch my head! Wink
Quote:
So Wout, how is the Pace coming along?
The Pick up on the A string fell out. I still have to repair it, but not very in need of the Pace right now, because I have to do the next few gigs on the double bass (need to bow sometimes...). Maybe I change the whole electrics in the Pace somehow.

Wout
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout, I'm still keen to hear how things panned out with yer Dean Pace... Smile
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I have been waiting for the answer as well.
rockwaterstudios

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dean Pace Bass Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Hi,

Anyone some experiences using the Dean Pace Bass?
http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/pacebass_cb.htm
I bought a new one just yesterday and although it's a wonderful instrument, its electronics are almost useless...

First of all the bass has the looks. An audience will know for sure what kind of music they can expect by just seeing the instrument on stage.
Secondly playing it is pure joy! It plays smooth and easy and compared to my two double basses (9/10 and 3/4) it's like taking a break.
The strings and finger board are capable to get a wonderful intonation and expression to the tone. I was surprized!
Using a strap I can play it like a normal bass guitar and when using 'The Stick' technique tapping the strings with both hands my under arm may rest on the flat side Smile BTW the strings produce very nice over tones...

Going to the practise location will be much easier then transporting a double bass: I can leave the car at home Smile

Only the electronics, which are very important, sucks.
Hum, crackling, buzzing, you name it, all is delivered with the music, even a distortion on just one string. Sometimes it's clean and how it has to be, but only one movement of the instrument, like replacing it to another side of the room, is enough to get in trouble... To bad!

Now I'm thinking, besides returning it to the shop, to replace the electronics. Somebody has some experiences with that? I want to play this instrument. To me it could be a wonderful addition to my creative needs Very Happy

Wout

========================================
========================================

for what it is worth...

dean had issues with the first release of the pace bass. it was int the active pickups. Here's the rub. those active pickups have the tone. sure, i had issues with the pickups. i had to do some soldering. also they can eat the batteries. remember to unplug. but i won't use the pace unless it has those wonderful 18 volts pickups. my original pace was stolen. so i shopped until i found a first edition bass and bought it. it is worth getting the pickups right because those pickups have the tone i want. in fact i am on this site right now looking to find out how the pickups are wired because i have one string out on my new used 5 string model 1.0 pace bass. the passive pickups in the later models, in my opinion, have no tone and do little to inspire. i have found people in the company that know this to be true. so there is my two cents. yep... the original pickups do some preamp shaping that give it a nice acoustic double bass sound. good luck in finding the tone. since this is not common knowledge ti was difficult to nail down if used pace bass had the original pickups. if the instrument needs to 9 volts then you know you have the right one. aloha
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: