electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
ARP Axxe VCO
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
furio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: ARP Axxe VCO
Subject description: PCB Layout
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just cloned the power isulation by Yusynth VCO http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/VCO/index.html on the ARP Axxe VCO 3046 clone by EFM http://www.modular.fonik.de/files/EFMforum/orgEFMfiles/3046_VCO.pdf ...I have implemented it to increase the stability and for the use with +/- 15V power supply. I would like to share my little PCB, which is very nice and a much cheaper VCO to simplify the build for all or to help me to find eventually bugs.

VCO3046-mod-15V.pdf
 Description:
PCB Layout

Download
 Filename:  VCO3046-mod-15V.pdf
 Filesize:  41.64 KB
 Downloaded:  2580 Time(s)

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi
Did you get that EFM vco working as it is in the schematic or you had to modify it .. i was thinking on building it on stripboard
thanks
vlad
furio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: The PCB is working
Subject description: +/- 15V mod untested

vladosh wrote:
hi
Did you get that EFM vco working as it is in the schematic or you had to modify it .. i was thinking on building it on stripboard
thanks
vlad

hi vladosh,
I use the version +/- 12V version. The SAW waveform sounds rich and powerful (approximately twice the TB-303-VCO) and fantastic FM modulations. I would like some advice for doing well the +/- 15V version.

ARPaxxeVCO.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.73 KB
 Viewed:  992 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ARPaxxeVCO.jpg

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..sorry i'm still noob for modifying circuits .. maybe someone from the forum will give you a suggestion .. nice that it's working the vco .. i spotted it and have a few 3046 so i just hope it'll work .. was thinking on adding PWM ..
greetings
furio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just thought that, before installing a Tempco... I think it's best to do well the power.
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am the guy who dug up the 3046-based EFM Axxe VCO for Fonik. If there is any chance you cats have the schematics for the EFM VCO 8a or 8b *please* let me know. It was the original 3096-based version of Tom's Axxe clone. He had it up on EFM from about 1/2000-2/2000 but took it down when he became paranoid that a certain German synth company was stealing his ideas, it never appeared again. The 8a was basic like the 3046 version, while the 8b had an extensive all-transistor waveshaper. I copied the 8b schematic out on paper years ago but it was destroyed, and my original internet archive on floppy corrupted. I do not know if anybody has this one anymore.

I might just go ahead and combine bits of the 3046 version and the real Axxe schem, but I would really like the EFM version to play with, and for the archive.
furio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I have tested this PCB, it is very stable, but I can't calibrate the scale.
Maybe for inexperience or some value is wrong...
Hopefully someone would help me to solve this little problem Smile

Link for a quick sound test...
http://dimenticato.org/files/3046VCO-modFMcgsLFO_Yusynth4072_cgsTubeVCA.ogg

3046VCO.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.37 KB
 Viewed:  1157 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3046VCO.jpg

furio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CJ Miller wrote:
I am the guy who dug up the 3046-based EFM Axxe VCO for Fonik. If there is any chance you cats have the schematics for the EFM VCO 8a or 8b *please* let me know. It was the original 3096-based version of Tom's Axxe clone. He had it up on EFM from about 1/2000-2/2000 but took it down when he became paranoid that a certain German synth company was stealing his ideas, it never appeared again. The 8a was basic like the 3046 version, while the 8b had an extensive all-transistor waveshaper. I copied the 8b schematic out on paper years ago but it was destroyed, and my original internet archive on floppy corrupted. I do not know if anybody has this one anymore.

I might just go ahead and combine bits of the 3046 version and the real Axxe schem, but I would really like the EFM version to play with, and for the archive.

Hi CJ Miller, I have found only this schematics Rolling Eyes
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

furio wrote:
Hi CJ Miller, I have found only [url=http://rvgm.site90.net/Manuals/ARP/ARP%20AXXE%20Service%20Manual.pdf]this schematics

Hi Furio. Yes, I just did some search this morning and I found this manual also. Good stuff. I am still going to try to find the missing EFM data somehow. Thanks for the link!

CJ
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice project, Thank You!!!
https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
furio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sebo,
Thanks for the interest Smile

I can track now this VCO for 3-4 octaves, but with only with very squeezed waveforms:

http://demosynth.dyndns.orgfiles/ARPaxxeVCOrect.ogg
http://demosynth.dyndns.org/files/ARPaxxeVCOsaw.ogg
http://demosynth.dyndns.org/files/TB-303VCOrichsquare.ogg

This comparison test is a bit stupid, because the VCO is very nice with the FM modulation.

Last edited by furio on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
citric acid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for my stupid question...i know from other diy project´s that you can runt this modules also with +12 -12 V . is this also with this module, take it sense ? like to have it in my doepfer case Smile
furio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

citric acid wrote:
sorry for my stupid question...i know from other diy project´s that you can runt this modules also with +12 -12 V . is this also with this module, take it sense ? like to have it in my doepfer case Smile

hi citric acid,

Simply remove the two voltage regulators and two caps at the bus/power connector.
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi furio,

Did you manage do get a scaling above 3-4 octaves?
By saying very squeezed...what exactly do you mean?
I can't open the sound clips, I really want to hear this VCO.
I hope you be able to answer fast cause I'll be making the boards to tonight Smile

Cheers,
Isak E.

furio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

isak wrote:
Hi furio,

Did you manage do get a scaling above 3-4 octaves?
By saying very squeezed...what exactly do you mean?
I can't open the sound clips, I really want to hear this VCO.
I hope you be able to answer fast cause I'll be making the boards to tonight Smile

Cheers,
Isak E.

Hi Isak,

all my friends can tune it... it's very easy !! Wink
I've updated the links above.

Cheers
Furio
isak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Furio,

It seems that I cant open it with my iPhone Mad
I'm sure I can tune it, my question is if you mange to tune it above 3-4 octaves like you stated few posts above.
If yes what was the max octave you manage to get?
More questions if I may..
What is the output Vpp?
Can I replace j112 to j111 or another fet? What you recomand?
I'm thinking to add fine tune and another V/ocv cv in for octave switch, do you think it would be easy to do?

EDIT:
Will want to add also PW pot and PWM, is it possible to add or to complicated?

Sorry for lots of questions.
I wanted to build the arp Odyssy vco but I'm missing a lot of components so this looks farley easy and I have all the components Smile

Cheers,
Isak E.

furio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have lab instruments and electronic knowledge... I've built only 3 pieces and forwarded them to my friends. Some friends have build it, and they are all very happy.

My preferrence is the Ody VCO and it sounds two times louder and 10x more beautiful: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28604.html

I think this Axxe VCO is a nice experience and tool for the cost, maybe with the CA3086 it sounds fetter... Test and report it!

With the +/- 15V power and 12V regulators the square looks & sound better... Maybe there are errors o buffers needed. Someone reported to me crash problems with the Rene' Sequencer.

I've posted the project to get help and improve it all together!
isak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
My preferrence is the Ody VCO and it sounds two times louder and 10x more beautiful: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28604.html

by saying
Quote:
it sounds two times louder and 10x more beautiful
you mean the Ody VCO?

by hearing the sound clips above i see now what you mean when saying squeezed Laughing
its sounds like it haves small amount of VCA decay.
as i understand this is the length of the note? it does not get any longer then that on high octaves?
if you have the AXXE VCO would you be kind and please upload clean sound clips of the square and the saw? no filter and the original vol? without normalizing the sound clip.

i thank you in advance,
cheers,
Isak E.

isak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Furio Smile

I have build it, as you stated the square not sound like square (using 12V).
The saw is strong as you said but the top of the saw is cut, don't know why tho...
It is unstable, when trying to tune it with a tuner, I see the the guide line of the tuner is moving all the time.
For scaling trimmer I used 100k instead of 50k for wider range.
I use 1k tempco, didnt have j112 so I used 2n5457, and tried also with 2n5459.
With the 2n5457 I have more range in octaves but when playing with other notes with keyboards the notes are not in tune.
Anyway it's nice but not as stable as you said it is.

I Thank you for the layout, I wish it could work better Confused
Any help with troubleshooting is more then welcome.

Cheers,
Isak E.

LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etched this board this week and built it this week. Worked on first startup, but I haven't tried to tune it yet.
Quite a simple build, do think the outputs benefit from a buffer. One of the two outputs is quite a bit softer than the other.
Used a J201 jfet, will need to check the scope to see if how the waveforms look.

Edit:
Had it on the scope tonight, saw output looks great (2.2v p-p), square output is looking more like a ramp wave, very low amplitude (0.3v p-p) and with a big DC component (2v). Needs a bit of tweaking, it seems.
LFLab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bought some J112 FETs on eBay, and received them this week. It does seem to make some difference in the shape of the square wave.
Both outputs are now about 2v p-p, but the squarewave output still has a DC component, so I put a capacitor in series with the that output.

Nice VCO, didn't tune it yet, not needed for the noises I am making now.
Snaper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems I can't find the BOM.
Is it possible to get a componenet placement for this?
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about bumping out this old thread, etched two of these...
Non of the 2 working Sad
I can get 2-4 V (depending on the the PW trimpot) but thats all.

No sound, no reaction to the Freq pot or to external CV.

Did anyone else experienced this?
acidblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you guys putting thermal paste on your tempco's?
Nisp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Problems
Subject description: fixed voltage on output

Hi, all
I have been using this forum for learning more about modular synthesis and i have built a few bits that i will show in another tread but now i have stumbled upon this axxe clone.
I etched a circuit board and placed all of the components but i cant seem to get it to work.
i also did a test on a proto boeard but same issue there.
Any pointers on what could be wrong or atleast where i should start measuring... i looked so nice and it would be awesome to get this one to work.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: