electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
the Ambiguous Nouns @ jtp
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: the Ambiguous Nouns @ jtp Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calendar Event: March 5, 2005

This Saturday an electronic drummer and I will be perfomring at Jeff the Pidgeon, here in Allentown, under the guise of "the Ambiguous Nouns". This was originally intended as a one time live thing, and thats the reason behind the name. The show should start around 8:00. I am not too familiar with the other acts, but I can say for sure that one of the acts likes to experiment with guitar-induced magnet feedback and white noise a lot. Cover charge is $5.

MICROWAVES
AIR CONDITIONING
WATERSPORTS
The AMBIGUOUS NOUNS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our set up will consist of a Nord G2 and a kit's worth of electronic drum pads. For most of the set, the G2 will half serve as the instrument I play and half as a drum module, featuring personally built rhytmic machines/sounds. The whole idea is modulation of everything, so I will also be altering the drummer's sounds as he plays them.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, Zynth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gsga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
I KNEW it. My radar was in full effect.
I'm so glad you're playing JTP!
The Pigeon is dead. Long live the Pigeon.
You might be familiar with others playing... Adam M, Brad TFK and me!
We're doing a brutal noise 3 piece improv set.
I'm playing guitar and scraping a coffin nail on a metal pipe w/fx. Seriously!

Had our first and only practice last night. It sounded like a garbage truck and a giant robot making sweet love. Or an army of zombies and a pile of rabid raccoons in a steel cage match. Take your pick.

Can wait to see your new project. This is going to be epic!

zynthetix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zomibes, eh? all I can really detail is that we are avoiding white noise and silence is our greatest ally Very Happy scratch
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can anyone give me the lowdown on this venue? Styles accepted/preferred...

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went once to hear Dave, GSGA, perform. It's in a sorta illegal place, in a abandoned warehouse where some guys are living. They hold concerts to raise money for the musicians, but the musicians don't get the money, if you understand what I'm saying. It's OK, a way to pay the rent, but my guess is they don't pay rent because the living conditions would never pass any municipal code. All this is speculation.

I showed up and appeared to be about 20 years older than the next oldest person who was himself a good 10 or 15 years older then the next person.. I was kinda ignored but I could see people weren't comfortable with an old straight looking man at this scene. I was with Zynthetix, my only redeeming trait, he being more than 35 years younger than me. Maybe they thought I was a narc or something. I would have been suspecious if I was a teen hanging out on the streets in an abandoned industrial building. Finally, some self-appointed fellow came up and asked me what I was doing there. I said I came to hear the music and that I was invited by one of the performers. I hadn't every met Dave before, but he heard me mention his name and identified himself. After a while, the interrogator came up and apologized for questioning me, and everyone there made me feel quite welcome. It was a great feeling to be accepted by the kids at their scene.

I enjoyed the concert a lot. Good thing I brought ear plugs though. Everything was very loud.

I guess the music is punk, grunge, noise, feedback and very very loud.

The place was very smokey, but I understand that now people are not allowed to smoke.

I believe this is going to be one of the last events at Jeff The Pigeon. I'm glad I had the chance to make one of these events. I'm not sure I can come to this one on Saturday night though.

I must say, Jeff The Pigeon is more underground than any underground events I went to in San Francisco back in the underground heyday of the 60s, including the now legendary Trips Festivals.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You attended a Trips Festival? Wow. I'm impressed. I would have loved to have been to one.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
zynthetix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard's observations mostly match my own. I feel out of place playing there, but less out of place than playing at any other "venue" in the immediate area. (excluding living rooms, personal studios, or maybe one day a net-broadcast.)

mosc wrote:
Finally, some self-appointed fellow came up and asked me what I was doing there.

This angered me, and that doesn't happen often. People who claim to love "underground" or experimental music should know very well that appearance, gender, race, and age has no effect on one's love of music. We all have ears. I did not attend there for a long while after, for the exclusive reason of being turned-off by exhibition of incorrect mentality on this matter.

The first time I was there I was invited by an aquaintance of mine who played some acoustic guitar songs and sang. He reminded me a lot of Elvis Costello and Buddy Holly. Other musicians that played were much older, playing mostly acoustic string instruments (viola, etc.) and making very nice folk music.

Stereotypically the shows are either rock centered (loud), electronic/white noise centered (loud), or an odd exception.

I will be direct recording our set through my G2's 3/4 outputs, as 90% of the audio will be generated by the G2 and the rest of it will be mixed/processed with the G2. I will upload a set or two then as I would like some constructive criticism.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A great concert. I posted a review here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5551.html

pictures here:

http://electro-music.com/images/JeffThePigeon-3-05/

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

EDIT - I just updated the link to the review, which was wrong... Embarassed

Last edited by mosc on Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
zynthetix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great pictures, and thanks for the review too. The recording of this came out...well, garbled. I didn't realize the minidisc requires a 10db lower input (i.e. 0db on consumer gear = -10db on pro gear). We're salvaging what we can from it and recording the set over to pay homage.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome. I had an error in my previous post which I just fixed. The link to the review was incorrect. Embarassed
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like a good show.... zynthetix, will you post the audio at some stage... ?
zynthetix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will post some music within the next few days. I have yet to clean up the live recording, it is pretty distorted. we re-recorded the set, but of course they are not exactly the same each time. when the favorite sessions are agreed upon I would like to put them up with some of the show material for some constructive criticism.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose this is a bit over-due. this is the least distorted section of the mini-disc.

edit: made this an attatchment. also credit and props to Rob Hordjik, his "Granular FX" patch was used in this.

tan_fljtp.mp3
 Description:
the ambiguous nouns - fugu (live)

Download
 Filename:  tan_fljtp.mp3
 Filesize:  7.17 MB
 Downloaded:  1135 Time(s)

Last edited by zynthetix on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I love it.

This recording, not just the distortion, reminds me a bit on King Crimson's Earthbound album. You can hear some snippets at http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1732829,00.html .

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowah, this is fabulous. Sounds much better than it did live over that PA.

This was the first piece. It's great. Smile

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Jump to: