electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
My CMOS/Lunetta challenge digital logic sound making machine
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: My CMOS/Lunetta challenge digital logic sound making machine
Subject description: (pic heavy with descriptions of circuits <--- Added more notes)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the sound making thing I made using the random assortment of CMOS chips from Electronic Goldmine. As you know, the IC assortment included 25 CMOS chips. I selected 6 of them and built the below.

In addition to a photo, I wanted to include my notes so that anyone just starting out could easily build these circuits (and modify or improve them!).

The chips I used are:
MC14069UBCP Hex Inverter (x2)
MC14040BCP 12-Bit Binary Counter (x1)
CD4020BE CMOS 14-Stage Ripple-Carry Binary Counter/Divider (x1)
CD4019BE CMOS Quad AND/OR Select Gate (x2)

The 1st panel includes 5 oscillators (1 high, 2 mid, 2 low) using the 4069 ICs.
The 2nd panel includes 2 frequency dividers using the 4040 and 4020 ICs.
The 3rd panel includes a bunch of logic gates using 2 4019 ICs. Also, there is a 3 input resistor mixer and 3 input diode mixer.
The 4th panel includes 2 filters using 2 inverter gates from the 4069 IC in panel one. There is also a passive mixer with volume control and an output jack.

This was a really fun project to work on and I'm going to continue with my remaining chips (I've already started building the 2nd case). I'm also looking forward to seeing what other people are building with their assortments (a few of the chips have me stumped, and I need ideas!).

cmos close up.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.06 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

cmos close up.JPG

cmos lunetta.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.35 KB
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

cmos lunetta.JPG

inside the case.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.65 KB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

inside the case.JPG

Last edited by sndbyte on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are my notes for the circuits (pages 1 to 5)

page 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.76 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

page 01.jpg

page 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.67 KB
 Viewed:  445 Time(s)

page 2.jpg

page 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.57 KB
 Viewed:  522 Time(s)

page 3.jpg

page 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.36 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)

page 4.jpg

page 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.72 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

page 5.jpg

sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more notes (pages 6 to 10)

page 6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.02 KB
 Viewed:  641 Time(s)

page 6.jpg

page 7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.88 KB
 Viewed:  468 Time(s)

page 7.jpg

page 8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.57 KB
 Viewed:  522 Time(s)

page 8.jpg

page 9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.86 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

page 9.jpg

page 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.04 KB
 Viewed:  520 Time(s)

page 10.jpg

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, thats really nice! i can see a lot of work has gone into this, very well done Smile
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing, it's great to see the entire process and not just the end product(wich looks amazing).

one question though...what does it sound like?

noise
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprised Surprised Surprised

Blooming heck!

I was expecting a little breadboard thing, not a finished modular synth! Thats amazing!!!

Well done.

Not peeked at your notes yet but will prob succumb, Laughing

Just got my selection last night, not even seen what ive got.

Nice one

Smile
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent work and documentation! thanks for sharing. I second tjookum; how about some video/audio? how do those filters sound?
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also, how does the 4020 compare operation wise to the 4040?
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work there man! I have built panels for a 4052 as well as a 4512 but they just HAD to go into my current lunetta Wink . Will be working on my project hopefully in a week after my back heals up.

Looking forward to a clip soon!

sndbyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the positive feedback!

The 4020 and 4040 are very similar. The 4020 has 14 stages while the 4040 has only 12. The 4020 does not have a divide by 2 or a divide by 4 stage, but it does go lower (all the way down to divide by 8192).

I just shot a quick video today in an attempt to demonstrate the filter. The sound is very low on this video so keep an eye on the oscilloscope to see how the filter changes the square wave as I adjust the 2 pots.

The pot on the left is VR1 in the above schematic and controls how much input enters the filters inverter. The pot on the right is VR2 which controls the resistance to ground.

jean bender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow !! very impressive work !!

Could you give me the way you have calculated the osc frequency ??
Thanks !!

www.electroncanon.org
Khrisblite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Work! Those are some interesting waveforms your getting for such a simple set up.

I see you are using CMOS in linear mode for the filters. Do you happen to know what the current draw is for the whole circuit? I always thought they would draw to much current to use in battery powered devices.

That is a nifty little scope. Are you happy with it? I'm in the market for a new scope and the size of that one is very appealing. Where did you pick that up?

Thanks for sharing, this is good stuff.

More vids please! Very Happy
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Khrisblite wrote:
Nice Work! Those are some interesting waveforms your getting for such a simple set up.

I see you are using CMOS in linear mode for the filters. Do you happen to know what the current draw is for the whole circuit? I always thought they would draw to much current to use in battery powered devices.

That is a nifty little scope. Are you happy with it? I'm in the market for a new scope and the size of that one is very appealing. Where did you pick that up?

Thanks for sharing, this is good stuff.

More vids please! Very Happy

The scope is a DSO Nano that I picked up at the Maker Faire. You can also buy it online for around $100. I've been very happy with it as it is very small, uses a rechargeable battery and is open source so you can even upgrade the firmware. It was very helpful in building CMOS oscillators and filters.

I didn't have to calculate the oscillator frequency because the DSO Nano has a frequency display.

I don't know how much current the filter draws as that is not something I measured. I'm using a single 9 volt battery for power (with a 7805 voltage regulator).

The filter was actually the most fun part to build. Using the scope was very helpful in seeing how replacing various components effected the filters response. I'm sure the filter can be improved upon. I'd like to build a version that can be modulated by other sources as opposed to just using the 2 pots.
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Sndbyte - that is really helpful. Good of you to go to the trouble of scanning and posting your notes. Gives a great insight into what's going on and how and why. I shall be going over them making sure I understand at least a fair proportion of it.
I have a couple of 4001s and 3 4011s so have the potential for 20 inverters just in those 5 chips. Gives me some oscillators, amplifiers and filters. I'm almost tempted to see what I could do with just a handful of 4001s!
Cheers
Ian
sndbyte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished using the chips from my grab bag (actually, I used at least one of each type in my bag, there were a number of duplicates). Anyhow, here are 2 photos of the thing below. I'm also going to scan my notes so you can see how I made the circuits. I'll post a video once I get my order of banana plugs. I need to make some longer patching cords now that I have 2 units.

Lunetta part 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.09 KB
 Viewed:  207 Time(s)

Lunetta part 2.JPG

Lunetta part 2 with text.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.62 KB
 Viewed:  313 Time(s)

Lunetta part 2 with text.jpg

sndbyte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here are my final five pages of notes describing each circuit. I've got a color scanner at my new job!

page 12 color.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.63 KB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

page 12 color.jpg

page 13 color.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.73 KB
 Viewed:  293 Time(s)

page 13 color.jpg

page 14 color.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.96 KB
 Viewed:  305 Time(s)

page 14 color.jpg

page 15 color.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.27 KB
 Viewed:  303 Time(s)

page 15 color.jpg

page 16 color.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.84 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

page 16 color.JPG

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well done Im very impressed, you really took on the challenge and made it into a succes.

And thanks so much for sharing your findings, I don't have the time right now but I'll definately look into them later.

and where did you get that sketchbook? It looks like an excellent tool for putting down ideas.

noise
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks really great! thumleft
And thanks for posting all the documentation,
I (also) will have a look at it later.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm impressed too, very nice work sndbyte. Like your Lunetta and am looking forward to hearing something from it. Also impressed with your notebook - I've always wondered how people can create such nice neat and tidy notes and drawings.

Brock
sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the positive feedback!

The notebook I'm using is the Maker's Notebook. I got it for free when I bought my DSO Nano at the Makerfaire. I'm pretty sure you can buy the notebook in the Maker Shed. The cool thing about it is that the last 20 pages or so of the notebook is all sort of reference material (including resistor & capacitor codes, ohm's law, etc).
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will be devouring your notes when i get a chance, many thanks for posting.

Still cant believe how quickly you threw together a basic modular system (with panels) from some random parts. I have some overlapping parts, which i (quite honestly) haven't got a clue what to do with, so as part of the learning experience, will 'cheat' and look at how you've done things.

Many thanks

Ben
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff. That filter is a really good wave shaper. I think I'll try breadboarding one. Thanks for sharing all the schematics.
sndbyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
Will be devouring your notes when i get a chance, many thanks for posting.

Still cant believe how quickly you threw together a basic modular system (with panels) from some random parts. I have some overlapping parts, which i (quite honestly) haven't got a clue what to do with, so as part of the learning experience, will 'cheat' and look at how you've done things.

Many thanks

Ben

Thanks, that is why I posted the notes... so people could breadboard them, test the circuits out and even improve on them. That's pretty much how I learned how to build these things, by looking at what other people had made here in the forum. For example, the 4503 chip. I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I got the idea for using it as a signal gate from the posting that Brock made on the original Challenge thread. He also posted a schematic which really made it clear how the circuit worked. I found that to be very helpful.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I started yesterday after much faff. Built a mini amp and test leads to hear it first, to save croc clips, was my first boxed up project, interesting in itself, fitting in all the jacks and pots was interesting, and figuring out the wiring for an indicator LED.

Anyway, then spent about 2 hours trying to get a nand oscillator to work, but failed miserably. Sad So decided to go thru your notes in detail. Theyre amazing, like a mini text book, so helpful. I found it very useful to rewrite them all out myself, with additional notes and variations. Finally last night got all three oscillators working on the breadboard, a feat in itself. But really useful for someone like me whos new to all this. By the third i got it built really quickly. And started to get loads of ideas. Like switched jacks for inputs and outputs, so you have a nomalised synth, unless you want to plug in other things for modulation etc. Also found a 4011 ring mod schematic on here which i now have 1 of (had two but broke a pin off ! )

Could be a really useful little box when finished, and for peanuts !

So yeah, thanks again for all the notes, going to solder up the oscillators tonight and/or move onto the low pass filter.

Many thanks, Ben Smile
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sndbyte, also a couple of queries if i may please.

I notice your using 5v rather than 9v, any reasons for this? Im just using a battery at this stage, although i do have a 7805 at home, could use that.

Also, for the oscillators, i notice R2 and what ive assumed is an LED (could be LDR?) connected to ground. Circuit seems to work fine with LEDs, so i assumed its that, with a current limiting resistor. Is this purely for visual representation of the speed of each oscillator? I guess i could remove these then?

Many thanks, Ben
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: