electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Sample Editor for Nord Wave
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
S Righteous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Sample Editor for Nord Wave
Subject description: annoying design
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the sample editor for the Nord Wave is terrible. When you want to sample single cycle waves, or very short samples as you would have in a wavetable, you just can't. For short loops, it chooses the end point of the loop for you, and that is that - you can't change it even it if does not end where you want it to - like at the end of the wave for instance.

Is there some mode to get around this? Can I simply have all my samples loop from start to finish - the whole sample looping as an OSC would?

I find it hard to believe that someone would release a sample editor that chooses the loop end point for you if the loop point is below 100ms. That's just giving your users the finger.

Here is an example of a single cycle wave taken from the Korg DW-8000. I've sampled every note of every one of the 16 waves in that machine, now I want to put these single cycle samples into my Nord Wave and program similar patches. But I can't get the whole single cycle sample to loop.

WTF? you can't make the sample loop where you want to?

waveloop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.92 KB
 Viewed:  105 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

waveloop.jpg

fibreman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So if you actually put this 'appended' version of your cycle into the Nord Wave as it appears in your screenshot, does it sound completely wrong?

I'm not at my Wave (or the sample editor) at the moment but will check up this evening - i'm no expert but there must be something we're missing here.
S Righteous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it's completely wrong.

Basically what I've found out is that if you choose "short" loop, the software chooses the loop point based on the next crossing of zero where it assumes your wave ends. This works fine on a sine wave, and pretty much nothing else.

You can use "long" loop, and then choose the loop point yourself, as long as that loop point is over 100ms.

For my DW sampling, I've had to use 100+ ms of each wave so that I can get a proper smooth loop. In the low register this is a few cycles, in the high register it's 20 or so cycles. This isn't ideal, because the old DW spits out a bit of variety even with the filters/envelopes all wide open, so some samples will have a periodicity that sounds wrong. In those cases, I've just resampled, or used a different 100ms of the original sample.

This loop limit just means not being able to loop single cycle samples, even if they were cut perfectly with other software. It's a strange limitation seeing as this synth is all about waveforms. It's not a sampler, with the usual set of sampler options - it's about recreating the sound of wave synths like the ESQ-1 or DW-8000 - hence all the extra waveform and built in sample options.
fibreman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Righto. I think it was long loop I was thinking of, and 100ms is definitely the minimum. Obviously not something i've come across having never really had to manage single cycle waves like that before.

Besides I always thought my Wave was designed more for melting mellotrons Very Happy
Cellomangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you not open the sample in another editor such as Sound Forge or even a freebee like Wavosaur and append a copy onto the end of the sample, thus making it twice as long ? Or 3 times as long ? This would give you the required length without any artifacts... or am I missing something ? I'd definitely like to see the Wave format opened up so I could use other existing samples with their already designated loop points... It's still a great synth... but....
Been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since an OS update...
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: