electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Anyone got polyphonic aftertouch working?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Anyone got polyphonic aftertouch working? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm considering getting a Roland A-800Pro which (according to the manual) has polyphonic aftertouch. I understand the Andromeda responds to this.

Has anyone tried this and if so how did it work out?

It can sound like the CS80 - can it act like one ???

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no,
the manual says:
the a6 will react to polyphonic at, they never said when ....
so it's not implemented as far as i understand
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
no,
the manual says:
the a6 will react to polyphonic at, they never said when ....
so it's not implemented as far as i understand

That's originally what I thought but there's a section in the Tips and tricks book that seems to suggest it can be made to work. It is a bit vague though. So that's why I was wondering anyone has tried it.

The Real MC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sadly the A6 does not respond to polyAT. OS development ceased before they could get to it.
The Real MC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Polyphonic Aftertouch on an Alesis Andromeda Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have found a way to implement polyphonic aftertouch on the Alesis Andromeda using a MIDI controller with monophonic aftertouch.

You need a MIDI controller with mono aftertouch and the ability to transmit in MIDI Mode 4. MIDI Mode 4 is an accumulative monophonic mode, which means the MIDI controller will send key 1 on MIDI channel (n), key 2 on MIDI channel (n+1), key 3 on MIDI channel (n+2), etc. Your controller may have an option for number of MIDI channels in Mode 4, IE you can specify an upper limit of channel 8 so that other devices on channel 9 and up are not affected.

Say your Andromeda MIDI base channel under the Globals menu is channel 1. You want channel (n) on the MIDI controller to be channel #1. Under this configuration when you press keys and engage the aftertouch, your MIDI controller should send note on and mono aftertouch messages on MIDI channel 1 for key #1, the next key will be MIDI channel 2, the next key will be MIDI channel 3, etc. Every key will have its independent MIDI channel and mono aftertouch - an alternate poly aftertouch.

Configure a patch on the Andromeda that uses MIDI Aftertouch to modulate something - like the filter cutoff. MIDI controller mono aftertouch is equal to "MIDI Aftertouch" in the Andromeda modulation source list.

The Andromeda does not appear to have a MIDI Mode 4 so we need to configure a mix setup on the Andromeda with (n) layers, every layer playing the aforementioned patch. Layer one is assigned MIDI channel n, layer 2 = MIDI channel n+1, layer 3 = MIDI channel n+2, etc.

Unfortunately for Kurzweil MIDIBoard owners, there is a bug in the firmware in that all mono aftertouch messages are only transmitted on the first MIDI channel (d@mn!). Another MIDI controller may operate correctly.

But I did prove this concept by multitracking MIDI tracks on my seqeuncer using my MIDIBoard on different MIDI channels - and this works!
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seems like a lot work - damn shame

Even my humble Xv5080 responds to Poly AT, with nothing fancy needed to be tweaked. Every patch is ready to go.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: