electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TR808 kick pcb
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Sebo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

effegee wrote:
Sebo wrote:
It sounds to me like the white noise input is disconnected or the noise circuit isn't working, start checking out that.

Sebo, the white noise circuit had a transistor on the schematic with the pins connected incorrectly. I resoldered it with B to ground and C open (like in the TR-808 service manual) and it now works. Woohoo! It's when things go wrong that you learn the most, you know.

Great you get it working!!!

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowsers, didn't realize there would be such an enthusiastic response!

As soon as I finish this batch of MB-808 kits, I'll finish the voice circuits. I already have a set of boards laid out that is similar to Trev's 9090, that is to say, no sequencer, just voices. It won't be too much more work to split each circuit out individually.

I know I'm opening up a pandora's box, but what form factor should I use on the individual circuit boards?

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like you weren't busy enough already Wink

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Like you weren't busy enough already Wink

Heehee! Yeah, true enough...!

Things are getting a bit better though. My daughter is in Flagstaff now going to school. She and her boyfriend apparently broke up ("You seem like a nice guy. What are you doing with my daughter?"), so we're not sure where she is living now, but at least she hasn't asked me to rescue her yet. (And I'm still amazed that after the bad behavior of the last three years I'm not a grandpa!) My mom is now healed up and living back at her place. I was in a crash about three weeks ago and my ribs are still sore, but at least I can now put my elbow up on the table and support the arm well enough to solder again. I'm soldering together the second prototype of the new MB-808 design, so I'm hoping that will be done soon too. I took over payments on the eight-oh-eight web site, so I don't think we will go offline again. I have a three week business trip coming up at the end of September, so that will probably get in the way of just about everything including Different Skies. No booze for almost three years now. That's it in a nutshell...

How are you doing?

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
Dave Kendall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Doug - I hope life gets better for you from now - that stuff sounds like it was pretty heavy.....

Must 'fess up - I have a MB808 board in the build backlog, but what I *really* want is something like the 9090 (i.e. no sequencer, and either trigger or MIDI controlled modules) but for a 808 clone type thang.

IMO, if splitting the board(s) up, the Kick, Snare, Hi-hat and maybe Clap are the meat and potatoes, the Toms are the sauce, and the others are the garnish...

just my 2 -pence worth..... Wink

cheers,
Dave

Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
Hey Doug - I hope life gets better for you from now - that stuff sounds like it was pretty heavy.....

Yeah, sigh. And that was just the nutshell. In the last year, there were three deaths in the family, my mom fell and broke her arm, my daughter racked up $11,000 in medical bills, etc. You know, just the normal every day family stuff. On top of that, they told me there was a 27 week back order on some of the MB-808 parts, but it actually took almost a year, and when I tried to upgrade the 808 forum, it backfired and corrupted the database and then wouldn't restore the backup I had. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, things are way better now!!! Cool

Quote:
Must 'fess up - I have a MB808 board in the build backlog, but what I *really* want is something like the 9090 (i.e. no sequencer, and either trigger or MIDI controlled modules) but for a 808 clone type thang.

When I decided to make the 9090 version of the MB-808, I laid out a pcb for just the sequencer to go with the 9090 voice boards. Then I figured it would be easier for long term maintenance if I converted the MB-808 to something similar, so I separated the voice circuits out of that. At the moment, the 808 voice board just has headers for the triggers. There is no MIDI-CV on it at all. That's not a problem if you use the MB-808 sequencer or if you have some way of providing both trigger and accent voltages...

Blue LEDs are evil.
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:

I know I'm opening up a pandora's box, but what form factor should I use on the individual circuit boards?

NO smd parts and +/-15v psu's
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With all due respect to all involved, why revise new pcbs when xlarge seems to have done all the work already?

Im very tempted by at least 2 of the 3 larger boards, not too bothered about the toms, and was thinking of getting them made up as one offs from the PDFs on the xlarge site.

Someone could potentially just run a group buy, im a bit broke to consider this right now, unless im missng something?

cheers
brother303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Doug,

Dougster wrote:
I already have a set of boards laid out that is similar to Trev's 9090, that is to say, no sequencer, just voices.

That would be absolutely awesome! I´m very happy with my 9090 for years now and I have always been dreaming of a 8080 next to it in my drumrack.

Pleeeeaaaase do it!

Very Happy

Cheers.

Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
With all due respect to all involved, why revise new pcbs when xlarge seems to have done all the work already?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the xlarge stuff. I just don't etch my own boards...

Blue LEDs are evil.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh o kthanks, i see; youre doing a cad layout. makes sense Smile

Cheers

Ben
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah! pcb offerings right when i start my perfboard layout! good thing i'm only working on a dual 808 kick.

now i have an issue of where to find TL072P IC's or an equivalent replacement...

i do see some things that look close on mouser, but unsure, anyone know where the culprit can be had?

... and yes i would be interested in a set of PCB voice offerings... or a pair of the same... Wesley.

currently, this is my best guess - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TL072ACPvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-TL072ACP

Last edited by wizardsofzen on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tl072's are very common, im surprised you cant find them. tl082's also work in their place, as do many other dual op amps. i have also used ca3240's in place of 072's. look harder Very Happy
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first glance at mouser nothing, seperation of tl027p into Tl 027 P - currently, this is my best guess - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TL072ACPvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-TL072ACP
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/TL072CN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtCHixnSjNA6MwNigq1a7Ao%2f56iz%252b7heZw%3d

try these, the ones you linked seem to have a +-4v range which is way too low for most examples you will find here.
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rocknroll!!! thanks! and saved me the price of shipping! i owe you a beer!
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think 4558 opamps are better in the 808...

Blue LEDs are evil.
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like this one? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ROHM-Semiconductor/BA4558/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtCHixnSjNA6A04we12coMueV28qvynVeE%3d
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't used the Rohm version myself, but it's probably fine. JRC4558 chips are 30 cents each at Futurlec though...

Blue LEDs are evil.
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm nowhere near as "busy" as things have kept you, mon. Be well good sir, and thanks for sticking to the projects through thick and thin!

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
rosch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HA! am i blind, how did i avoid this?
i'm in too!
Very Happy
bigbluewave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm,
Yes, yes yes! I'm not fussed about the board size, going to do a MU drum module collection I feel!!!
I'm sure there is some jiggling to get the best value at the fab houses. Some of them seem to give pretty good rates these days if you aren't in a hurry.

Looking forward to developments. Razz

Ben
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stripboard it

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-37646.html

Cool
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am more than fine with SMT, if it is not smaller than 1206.

just my 2 pence here

Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
Here are some pictures of my TR-808 clone, also the TR-9090 (909 clone) and some other nice gear (DIY and non-DIY).

TR-808 Plus 03.JPG
 Description:
Inside the TR-808
 Filesize:  142.72 KB
 Viewed:  326 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TR-808 Plus 03.JPG

Rack 01.jpg
 Description:
TR-808 Clone - TR-909 Clone - Matrix-1000 - TX81Z - MT-2 Clone - DC-2 Clone - SDD-2000 (Non working)
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Rack 01.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: