electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Notation software
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Notation software
Subject description: Or, James promotes LilyPond
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I recently started using Lilypond for (Western) music notation. (Most of my pieces don't involve notation, but when I'm writing for other performers, it becomes really important.) I used Finale on the Mac, but after switching to Linux last year, that was no longer an option and Lilypond looked like the best FLOSS notator around.

Well, today, I was previewing some notation in a new piece and saw something that just knocked my socks off (attached -- 3/8 bar). The equivalent in Finale would require manual adjustment of the lower voice's horizontal position and of the dots. Lilypond -- out-of-the-box, no tweaks, no damn "special tools" clicking about -- not only adds a slight offset between the stems (making it very easy for the eye to tell that it's not one chord with stems improperly extending above and below), but it also lines up all the dots vertically. Perfectly legible -- and, mind you, no manual adjustment.

After years of shuffling things around by mouse in Finale, I'm just gobsmacked. It's not that Lilypond does everything perfectly -- no program could -- but this is a level of sophistication I never saw in commercial software costing hundreds of dollars for a license (and usually about $100 for a roughly annual upgrade -- the so-called "Finale tax"). Finale users would say the GUI is easier to learn, but I'm totally convinced that this free software performs demonstrably better.

Maybe a bit off-topic for this board, but I can't help myself -- I'm seriously stunned by this and had to share.

James

lily-is-awesome.png
 Description:
Such clean notation... default lilypond output. Amazing.
 Filesize:  15.24 KB
 Viewed:  3975 Time(s)

lily-is-awesome.png

Tony Deff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Using LilyPond Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Such clean notation... default lilypond output. Amazing.

Yes, agreed, good output provided that there is nothing non-standard about what you require and that you are inputting finished music.

If you attempt to experiment with the music as you go (to hear what changes sound like), you can get very frustrated. Changing just one note in a chord can put dozens of subsequent notes in the wrong octave. Sad

If you attempt something not yet provided as standard, you spend more time learning a programming language than in composing music.

I started learning LilyPond some 3 years ago and have not finished one composition using it yet.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: