electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Creating Ambient Music
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a search for new unique sounds, I have recently begun bowing some of my percussion instruments, gongs, and vibraphone.

I had bowed some marimbas and vibes in college in the 90's... but wasn't much interested in that sound at the time as I was playing rock, jazz, and latin musics.

Now that I am primarily focused on creating ambient music, I am blown away with the possibilities with bowing gongs, cymbals, found sounds, and the vibraphone.

It's a lot of fun finding the "hidden" sounds in these instruments... and bowing percussion instruments really has a "synthesizer" like sound to it. Im looking forward to processing and recording these bowed sounds more in the future and mixing them in with synths and other sounds. Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds pretty fascinating, Shane. Maybe you can post some samples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Sounds pretty fascinating, Shane. Maybe you can post some samples.

Will do Howard Very Happy

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted some pics and a recording of some percussive bowing HERE Very Happy
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice^10! Cool

Now I'm looking around wondering what I can bow.
seth0r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. I just joined the forums just because of this post.
I recently stumbled upon some dark ambience, and as of right now, I cannot stop listening to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zqnXlAX2s
This song in particular, and also some tracks by dyzv0r.

Anyways, I have a little bit of FL Studio experience, not much, but I've decided to try to make my own.

It's pretty static, not too much variance. It's hard for me to be "glitchy" if you understand where I'm coming from.

But, tell me what you think! Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1xWIZFpLk
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seth0r wrote:
Hey guys. I just joined the forums just because of this post.
I recently stumbled upon some dark ambience, and as of right now, I cannot stop listening to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zqnXlAX2s
This song in particular, and also some tracks by dyzv0r.

Anyways, I have a little bit of FL Studio experience, not much, but I've decided to try to make my own.

It's pretty static, not too much variance. It's hard for me to be "glitchy" if you understand where I'm coming from.

But, tell me what you think! Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1xWIZFpLk

Hi seth0r

I like both the videos you posted a lot. Great work with your track...a nice minimal rhythmic piece. It sounds nice as is..but you could also layer some more sounds around what you have. I can hear the influence in the first video on your piece (since you posted both in a comparision like format here) ... but don't be afraid to let the music take you in other directions. It sounds like to me you are on the right track Very Happy

FL studio seems like an excellent daw.... ive often thought about getting it for myself as well. I have a friend, Altus, that creates all his ambient music through FL with superb results.
Keep going !

seth0r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I could do that. As simple sounding and minimalistic the music is, it actually is pretty complex haha. I don't know if it's just my skill level with sound engineering, experience with FL Studio, or just my mind, but it's tough for me to get more and more sounds, and an even bigger problem for me is getting off beat for a more natural, analog feel. I also need to work on transitions, intro'ing, and ending. Need more flow! ha
Thanks for the feedback Smile.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music too~

The music is complete when you feel it is complete. I hope you continue to keep creating more pieces. Cheers~ Surprised

angry1541

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Question about this thread Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see a number of topics in this thread about the idea of composing ambient music -- like around the concept of actually making a song. So I have a side-question.

How many people currently composing ambient music digitally previously playing and wrote music on an analog instrustment -- say a guitar or something?

Just curious how that translates in the overall idea of composition? Not the technical 'know how' of instrumentation of using a computer, but the idea of actually writing a song (the content) using digital means.

Thoughts?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome angry1541 to electro-music.com

angry1541 wrote:
Just curious how that translates in the overall idea of composition? Not the technical 'know how' of instrumentation of using a computer, but the idea of actually writing a song (the content) using digital means.

My guess is that almost everyone who now composes electronic music started off on one acoustic instrument or another. I'm sure there are a few notable exceptions. At our electro-music events one sees lots of keyboards, guitars, banjos, trombones, drums, trumpets, flutes, etc.

Maybe we should organize an acoustic jam at a future gathering. Idea

Music is music. Electronic instruments open lots of additional opportunities sonically and compositionally. I personally would write a lot of music for conventional symphony orchestras, but I wouldn't have much chance of getting anything performed. I like the freedom of having my own orchestra of electronic instruments that I can play myself.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
My guess is that almost everyone who now composes electronic music started off on one acoustic instrument or another. I'm sure there are a few notable exceptions.

Me! Very Happy

I first started putting sounds together on cassette and my dad's reel-to-reel without really knowing what i did - I called them "sound stories" and they bored the hell out of my friends!

I only really started playing a "real" instrument at about 16 when I got a Korg Poly-61. I did take some piano lessons at some point but never did very well. I have always been more of an "engineer" than "musician" and still approach music as a collection of sounds rather than notes...

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
I did take some piano lessons at some point but never did very well. I have always been more of an "engineer" than "musician" and still approach music as a collection of sounds rather than notes...

Well, you are doing pretty good, IMHO. I started electronic music with a three head tape recorder and a couple of short wave radios. Before that I did learn to play the ukulele, banjo, and piano. The cool thing is that we all come at this from different places.

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find a nice glass of whiskey and a clear head work wonders when making ambient music, the closer you are to sleep (I think) the better Smile
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
I did take some piano lessons at some point but never did very well. I have always been more of an "engineer" than "musician" and still approach music as a collection of sounds rather than notes...

Hmmm... that sounds familiar Wink

Ambient music has become a bit of a broad church these days, but maybe it always was. Conventional wisdom says that Ambient first appeared in the late '60s - early '70s, with the advent of synthesizers and cheaper solid-state electronics. That maybe when the term was first coined, but (IMO) there's a lot of music which pre-dates that, which could be said to have an "ambient" quality - such as Ray Scott's Soothing Sounds for Baby. Even some classical music, e.g. Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie could be said to have an ambient nature.

I wouldn't say you need any particularly advanced knowledge of synths, in order to create ambient tones. I often turn to my Korg Z1, to create slowly shifting, evolving sounds; the "resonant" oscillator option is a good "ethereal" source and it has EGs and LFOs aplenty (although the menu-diving gets a bit much sometimes).

Mangling samples through stacks of VST FX and resampling them is another favourite game of mine. Last night I started playing with a sampled sequence of tones blurted out by my little noise synth - half an hour later and it was starting to sound like a couple distant, softly echoing bells, chiming in the mist.

Then I went to bed and made some more ambient music, by turning Classic FM down to a barely audible level. Some say this is the best way to listen to it anyway Laughing

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
Conventional wisdom says that Ambient first appeared in the late '60s - early '70s, with the advent of synthesizers and cheaper solid-state electronics. That maybe when the term was first coined, but (IMO) there's a lot of music which pre-dates that, which could be said to have an "ambient" quality - such as Ray Scott's Soothing Sounds for Baby. Even some classical music, e.g. Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie could be said to have an ambient nature.

My first exposure to ambient music was Erik Satie. I think he called it wallpaper music, and John Cage called it furniture music. Bach and Mozart also experimented with non-developmental music. Rightly or IMHO wrongly, the term ambient music is now associated with Brian Eno.

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Rightly or IMHO wrongly, the term ambient music is now associated with Brian Eno.

He is known to have coined the term "Ambient Music" as far as I know, as a way of describing music that is supposed to blend with the random sounds of the listening environment. He is not the first person to think outside of the frame though.

hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
... still approach music as a collection of sounds rather than notes...

That's the beauty of art - you can approach it in many different ways ... Being a programmer with a mathematical background I see/feel music more like numbers, algorithms, flow, sequencing, ... while trying to paint a sound story, harmony and atmosphere behind it Very Happy

glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
My first exposure to ambient music was Erik Satie. I think he called it wallpaper music, and John Cage called it furniture music... Rightly or IMHO wrongly, the term ambient music is now associated with Brian Eno.

It was Eno who (at least verbally) defined (labelled?) the genre, for sure; but the concept was definitely out there long before. It's not the only time it's happened - the music which eventually became known as Punk, was around for years before, for example.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, after a little research, Brian Eno probably was the first to use the word to describe this kind of music. That, is pretty special and he should be given due credit. Ambient has more pizzazz than wallpaper.

"... a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Maybe not. Whatever happened to vomit music? Twisted Evil

Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: