electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Correction: I'm *not* making TR-808 Voice Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 10 [247 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next

How would you like the 808 voices to be arranged?
Two pcbs with six voices each.
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Three pcbs with four voices each.
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Individual pcbs with one voice each.
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 52

Dougster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Correction: I'm *not* making TR-808 Voice Boards...
Subject description: Too old, too tired, don't want to fight it anymore.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We already hijacked the TR808 kick pcb thread, but this has gone past just the kick drum, so I figured I should start a separate topic.

As some of you know, I've been working on the MB-808 kit for the last two years. I'm almost done with the third batch of kits, and I'll be glad to ship everything and get it out of my house! Cool But what next...?

I like what Trev at introspectiv.org did with the 9090, so I've been working on some 808 voice boards that will be in a similar format. There are three options so far:

1) Two voice boards with six voices each. First board has Snare, Low Tom, Mid Tom, High Tom, Clap and Maraca. Second board has Kick, Rimshot/Clave, Cowbell, Cymbal and both Hihats.

2) Three voice boards with four voices each. First board has Kick, Snare, Clap and Maraca. Second board has Low Tom, Mid Tom, High Tom and Rimshot/Clave. Third board has Cowbell, Cymbal and both Hihats.

3) The twelve Individual Voices on separate boards.

I plan to make the multi-voice cards first, with a batch of the individual voice cards later on. I can't promise a particular delivery date at the moment since I want to get this batch of MB-808 kits taken care of before I take on the next project, but I'm hoping to make this happen before the holidays at the end of the year...

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.

Last edited by Dougster on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool Smile
originally i thought 12 separate boards would be ideal
but for cost sake option 2 might make more sense
now i am torn between those two options
oh well at least there will be sometime to make up my mind
orsm you are doing this Smile

as good an answer as any
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm making TR-808 Voice Boards... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:

I like what Trev at introspectiv.org did with the 9090, so I've been working on some 808 voice boards that will be in a similar format. There are three options so far:

1) Two voice boards with six voices each. First board has Snare, Low Tom, Mid Tom, High Tom, Clap and Maraca. Second board has Kick, Rimshot/Clave, Cowbell, Cymbal and both Hihats.

+1 for 1

if you anyhow plan to release individual voices later, option one is the best imo.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be more interested in single boards. Smile
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm one of those schizophrenic multitasking kind of guys Laughing, so while I wait for various other things, I'm working on a couple of the individual boards.

First one is a standalone noise and schmitt oscillator board, since that's a major part of most of the voices in the 808, and some people like to modify the 808 with a switch to change between the two for some voices. I'm adding in the 909 noise section as well to provide more options.

The second board is the bass drum. I'm including all the microLARGE mods. Anybody have other sources for BD mods?

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
loydb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in some boards, however they end up! Smile
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
bod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd love a set of voice boards for this!!!!! Very Happy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am with v-un-v. however, this is not a commitment to anything at all...
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested in z set of boards. Haven't made up my mind wrt which option yet.

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think individual voices would make things get a little pricey. From a modular perspective it's a great idea, but based on your own experience, I think you should have the foresight to know what will work the best from the production side of things.
I'd be excited (depending on price) to get 6 or 4 voices on a single board.
While I like the idea of having individual voices, it'd probably prevent me from ordering any boards (i could make the individual voice boards myself).
Again, this all depends upon cost.

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested.

I like option 2 or 3, just cause it would make more affordable.
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think individual voices would make things get a little pricey.

Well, if your aim was to have an entire 808, then it would be less expensive and easier to just get the multivoice boards. If you want a box with two kicks, a bunch of toms, multiple cymbals, etc, then the individual voice boards make more sense. Heck, if you just want a desktop box with all the 808 voices and a built-in sequencer, it's probably better to just get on the waiting list for an MB-808. All the design work is already done on those things and I don't have to spend much more effort on them... Wink

Quote:
From a modular perspective it's a great idea, but based on your own experience, I think you should have the foresight to know what will work the best from the production side of things.

From strictly a production standpoint, any of the three options is valid, depending upon what your goal is...

Quote:
While I like the idea of having individual voices, it'd probably prevent me from ordering any boards (i could make the individual voice boards myself).

No worries. I'm too old, crotchety, and demanding to deal with etching my own boards or using stripboard for more than testing and prototyping. Very Happy I plan to make at least one each of the boards for myself, and if it makes things easier on anybody else, I'm happy to have extras made...

Blue LEDs are evil.
corex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm most interested in single-voice boards, but I'm interested in any.
diablojoy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you want a box with two kicks, a bunch of toms, multiple cymbals, etc, then the individual voice boards make more sense.

yeah too true and more interesting this way in the end
adding my vote to singles

as good an answer as any
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I voted #1, but I'd also like to see individual boards available. I'd like to double up on some of the voices...others I'm not so sure I'd want more than one of.
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I voted #1, but I'd also like to see individual boards available. I'd like to double up on some of the voices...others I'm not so sure I'd want more than one of

+1 on that
Being able to double up on, say, Kick and Snare would be a big plus, so options 1 and 3 get my vote.

Dumb 808 noob question - does the accent change timbre/decay or suchlike, or just volume? and is it continuously variable (rather than simply on/off) ?

cheers for doing this Doug.
Dave

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
...does the accent change timbre/decay or suchlike, or just volume? and is it continuously variable (rather than simply on/off) ?...

I'm pretty sure it's just volume.

As for your second question [and refering to the original drum machine], it's a bit of both. The accent amount is continuously variable, but it's a GLOBAL function. Each voice on each step of a pattern has an accent on/off switch, but the volume of the accent is the same for each step on each voice. So there's not a continuously variable accent on the Kick and a separate one on the Snare, but rather one accent amount that's applied to every voice/step that's been selected as having an accent.

Understand?

...actually I'm not sure now if the accent is applied to every voice on a step with accent or if the accent switch is at the voice/step level. scratch

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:

Dumb 808 noob question - does the accent change timbre/decay or suchlike, or just volume? and is it continuously variable (rather than simply on/off) ?
Dave

It affects the volume by increasing the amplitude of the trigger(s).

Dave Kendall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got it. Thanks!
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interested in option # 1 .

Thanks Doug .

Dave.
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
I voted #1, but I'd also like to see individual boards available. I'd like to double up on some of the voices...others I'm not so sure I'd want more than one of.

Indeed, this is definitely the option I'd be favouring

Since the kick & snare will be the most common to double up on, how about option 1, plus a single kick/snare board?
reve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I voted for three PCBs. Simply because I'd build two of the kick snare and hat boards and one of the tom boards. But frankly I will buy whatever is released first. Smile
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Due to the nature of these analogue circuits, the accent does more than just change the volume. That was one of the magic things about these old drum machines. It also makes the attack phase kind of 'snappier'.
If it weren't for those analogue artifact effects there would be no point in re-creating the boards.

Peake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting point, Uncle. Have you noticed as well that the CR-78's decay times are tempo-dependent? Brilliant stuff.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Luka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey doug

before i get interested in these projects can we flesh out what is happening with mb808. what is the time frame to get mb808 third batch resolved? is there one yet? the mb808 site is down - no more updates on ucapps forum thread.

that project seems like it has ground to a halt and now there are more projects being proposed so i'm interested in whether this will eventuate.

i realise you have been through a lot over the last couple of years - i have followed your posts in all ucapps and mb808 locations - seems lot of 'soon to be resolved / fulfilled' answers are being produced but none seem to ever eventuate (as far as i can tell)

sorry if this sounds negative - im sure you are sick of having to go through this - but i haven't seen any public discussion from third batch subscribers receiving anything (perhaps mostly because the forum is gone)

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 10 [247 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: