electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
New Nord Lead 2 user!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
thaipod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: New Nord Lead 2 user! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all! I just purchased a Nord Lead 2 today. It's my first synth, and I'm excited to learn all the ins and outs of the instrument, and the world of synths.

I've played bass for a long time, and grew up playing piano. I joined a dance-rock band earlier this year as a rhythm guitarist and keyboard player, and right now my setup is an Axiom 61 with Reason. I got the Lead 2 for three reasons. 1) to shorten setup time, 2) so I don't have to use my laptop at gigs anymore, and 3) the band used the Lead 2 in 80% of the synths in its previous album with its last keyboard player.

Anyhow, any tips and tricks you guys have would be much appreciated. I look forward to learning about the instrument and creating synth sounds here.

Peace!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome thaipod

If you have some time to spare, look here: http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/Red_Lady/Index_bestanden/Red_Lady/The_First_meeting_with_the_red_lady.htm

Do you have e NL2 or NL2X?
What kind of music do you play?
Remember, to get the most of it: tge Lead is a preformance synthesizer!

Wout
thaipod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's an NL2. I got it off craigslist. It's working great (the seller was extremely helpful in guiding me through it).

The band I play in is what we call "Chinatown Dance Rock". We're a band of asian-americans called The Slants. The band's been together for about 4 years, but I just joined this year, and it's been a very cool project to be involved in. We've been told very often that we sound like The Bravery or The Killers with heavier guitars. Similar influences - Depeche Mode, New Order, but with a punk edge to it. We recently got a gig opening up for Men Without Hats in Salem, OR, and we're opening up for Shonen Knife in Portland in November. Check us out, we're fun! www.facebook.com/theslants
www.theslants.com

I'm big on the idea that the NL2 is a performance synth. This band is all about the stage performance, and it's going to feel great not to have to worry about a laptop, firebox, and all that. I'm also looking forward to using it on our next album, which will be my first with the band. Now I just gotta figure out what all these knobs do. Very Happy

I'll check out that article tomorrow when I get a chance. Thanks!

And thanks for the welcome!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reason for asking is nobody uses the Performance mode as how it is designed in the first place. The NordLead 2 is able to use PCMCIA cards which is very useful to prepare the changes on stage before the gig, so all goes quickly and easy. Special when more than one Program is needed in a song and you have to make changes it at the spot.

We'll meet later...
Read the article about how the Lead is organized.

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the Sakura, Sakura song, which I also play on stage. Didn't recognize it first, but the solo... Yeah Smile
Only I play in on my Teisho harp...

Seem like there is enough work for a NordLead, isn´t there?

Wout
thaipod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Wout! Wish I could say I was involved in that recording, but that was a few years before I joined. I do play it live on stage though, and from what I understand, most if not all of that song was originally recorded/played on a Lead 2.

I'm going through your guide and owner's manual right now and playing around as I go. I already knowI'm going to want to use the performance mode to sort the sets out when I play shows. That means I'm going to have to get a PCMCIA card, doesn't it?

Last edited by thaipod on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thaipod wrote:
... That means I'm going to have to get a PCMCIA card, doesn't it ...
Maybe this could help:

memorix elektronik GmbH

Zum Engelberg 12
D-79249 Merzhausen

T. 0049/761/4004440
F. 0049/761/4004441

They send you a pdf order form.

Wout
thaipod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I am a little bit confused with the midi dump to back up patches. Do I need any particular software to manage the patches? Nord Sound Manager isn't compatable with the Lead.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any software which is capable to handle Midi Sysex will do, but at http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/Red_Lady/Index_bestanden/Red_Lady/Nord_Generator.htm you will find a special designed tool, Nord Generator, which can help you to handle Program files. Not Performances! For those I use Borne’s Send Sysex tool which is freeware on the internet, so is Nord Generator. To operate those two tools you need a Windows machine and a Midi Interface.
Beware the NordLead doesn’t add names to the files, so on the computer you have to do it yourself! I usually name them after the song and what they do, like drum or solo! You can upload anything to the computer but you have to find the files back again! And giving names is fun too, like MummiesScreamingBabySolo…

The rule is BE AS ORGANIZED AS POSSIBLE!!!
thaipod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

windows?!? Curses! I'm a mac user!
thaipod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I played it for the first time in a live setting. Man, setting it up was way better than the midi controller-to-laptop-to-audio interface thing I was doing before. I'm having a lot of fun learning the knobs, using them in a live setting, finding sounds with the layered programs.

Still haven't gotten around to getting a PCMCIA card. I think I'd like it, as it'll cut down time between changing all the programs. I'm just writing my set list on a piece of paper right now.

I know for sure I want to save my newly made programs. There aren't any tools that work on Mac?

One question about the hardware. Sometimes, if I go to a program that doesn't have APR on as a default, it won't turn on when I push the button. Not until I run through and find another program that does have APR on as default will I be able to go back and use it on the first program. Do you think that's a hardware issue or software issue?

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thaipod wrote:
... I know for sure I want to save my newly made programs. There aren't any tools that work on Mac?
Take a look here http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ It is known to work well on a mac.
And also he wrote:
One question about the hardware. Sometimes, if I go to a program that doesn't have APR on as a default, it won't turn on when I push the button. Not until I run through and find another program that does have APR on as default will I be able to go back and use it on the first program. Do you think that's a hardware issue or software issue?
That's strange...
Well, how is the setting of the knob Arp Range? Is it set completely to the left?
The Arp knob is functional? I mean when pushing the Arp/Hold button the LED is lit?
I think that scrolling thing is very strange...

Wout
thaipod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the arp knob works, very well I might add.

Also, when I push the arp button when it's not working, it cancels out the arp destination setting.

It's weird. I can still get it to work, and there's no rhyme or reason as to when it doesn't work. At the very least, once I get it to work, it stays working.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thaipod wrote:
... it cancels out the arp destination setting. ...
For the right understanding: there is no ARP destination, only how it controles the Oscillators (Up, Down, etc). The destinations are related to the LFO2.

Wout
thaipod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the PCMCIA card. My god, this makes it so much easier to quickly move from song to song in a live setting! Can't believe I didn't buy it earlier!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: