electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
question about voltage adder for 8 bit audio
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: question about voltage adder for 8 bit audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to take a parallel 8 bit signal and convert it to an analog 8 bit word for audio. I'm guessing a small signal diode and a 100k resistor on each pin should do it. I'm using various CD4000 IC's. I realize that the answer is probably to use a DAC but I have never used one and I'm not sure how they function at extremely low clock rates. I also want to consider using N number of bits in parallel, not just multiples of 8. thats why I'm after the passive approach. I would be ok with using more IC's though. anyone have any experience on this?

also, another noob question. if I want to make modules for my MOTM system (+15, 0 , -15) should I just throw a 9v regulator on +15 for all my logic circuits? how does the V+ voltage affect threshold and voltage of logic going high?
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The easiest way I can think of is using an R2R-ladder, see the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder#R-2R_resistor_ladder_network_.28digital_to_analog_conversion.2C_or_DAC.29
DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: question about voltage adder for 8 bit audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EATyourGuitar wrote:
I realize that the answer is probably to use a DAC but I have never used one and I'm not sure how they function at extremely low clock rates.

a DAC will work just fine right down to 0Hz & with quite large numbers, you could easily use 16-24 inputs for an R/2R. I'm using 4bit DACs for a wierd CMOS S&H at the moment. A voltage gets stored to a shift register for infinite hold times; if the inputs of an R/2R are not changing the output is just a steady voltage.

of course, with 8 bits you could put them thru pots Wink

I would just use +15V & put either transistor or op-amps between the outside world & the CMOS, you could use 10V to make scaling the output easier tho
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good information guys. in my daydreams I figured that the resistor ladder was one option. I see that in the wiki they use it like a DAC where each bit has a magnitude of 2. they also have an example using equal resistors. I'm more interested with unity mixing where each bit is added equally. I realize that my real world bit resultion is actually more like decimal 8 which is actually only 2^3 or 3 bit DAC. yes 3 bits is way dirty but It lets me make CV signals that follow the distribution of 1's and 0's sitting in a shift register. I will probably run it through a slew or filter anyway.

oh and what about a dac with parallel input. does that exist?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: