electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
dropped some beer on my new Alesis Micron
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Persio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: dropped some beer on my new Alesis Micron
Subject description: should i be worried?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just bought an Alesis Micron. In Argentina, where I live, it is a very uncommon piece of hardware, so it is quite expensive around here. Some days ago, I was happy playing with it, when a friend accidentally dropped some beer over some of the keys. Now those keys feel somehow different when I press them. This difference is not really important for playing, but I've hard that soda beverages have some chemicals that can damage the keyboard after some months. Is this true? Should I be worried, even though nothing seems to have happened by now? Is there anything I can do to help this?
DES

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't say for certain about the Micron but most modern keyboards have conductive rubber contacts under the keys that bridge copper traces on a circuit board under them. Beer, Soda, etc. can get sticky as it sits on these - the keys can become sluggish, connections intermittant, etc. Plus if there is a high sugar or other corrosive material in the liquid it will eat the copper traces away. I would recommend having the unit opened and the beer cleaned out of it. It's not very difficult to do on your own - just make sure it's not plugged in when you work on it! As for what to clean it with - denatured alchol works fine (you can use rubbing alcohol but it leaves a film...not preferred.) The keys will have to be removed most likely to get at the rubber contact strips. If you do this yourself - be careful removing the keys - there are springs that can pop out and get lost or hit your eye and you can possibly break the key. If you are at all uncomfortable working on your gear - have an experiened tech do it. But I would strongly rcommend getting it cleaned out soon.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Dave's post above. Two additional comments.

If you are going to have a piece of equipment that's rare and unusual in your locale, you need to learn to work on it to maintain it, and you will probably (as a result of having to work on it) both develop an appreciation of it, and you may defend it better from people who would bring beer, corrosive liquids or drunken antics near it. I'm not sorry, and someone had to say it.

Use a mild soap solution on a non-lint cloth (a cotton bud will not work well, but a toothbrush and a cotton cloth to mop with with leave less lint). Do not use a lot of liquid, and I said MILD soap- one drop in 20cc of water. Be thorough. This will take a couple of hours to do properly. Allow it to dry. Be very patient, and careful.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Persio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Denatured alcohol or mild soap/water? I don't know which one to go with...

Do you have any ideas of what I'll find when I open it? I hope i don't run into troubles when trying to close it...

Damn it, I'm scared now Sad
DES

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The alcohol will evaporate much faster then the soap/water....but you probably have the soap and water on hand. If its pretty gummy when you open it the alcohol may cut thru better.

If you're patient and take your time you shouln't have a problem. Most relatively modern synths are very simple inside (a couple circuit boards and the keyboard for example)

Last edited by DES on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Persio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll do it this week and keep you posted. Thank you very much for the help!
YashN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope you get it fixed, Persio. It's a very clever piece of gear. I got mine for quite cheap as it had a broken plastic encoder and I repaired it with a metal Bourns encoder. It's like new now.

Persio wrote:
I'll do it this week and keep you posted. Thank you very much for the help!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: