electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Akai S612 Sampler Mods
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tablebeast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Akai S612 Sampler Mods
Subject description: Anyone got the updated OS, Mods, or Service Manual?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got my hands on a pair of these ancient Akai S612 lo-fi gems. I've wanted to experiment with one for years but never was able to get a decent one sans disc drive for a decent price. Last week I got two for about $100 each shipped! Not an insane price, but they both look to be in excellent shape and don't have the stupid disc drive so its a great deal for me. See, I don't want to mess with storing samples, that is what a DAW is for so I don't need that PITA disc drive at all. I want a live sampler that I can hack to the max for performance use.
So, I got two of them for sample bouncing and general mayhem. Should pair up nice with a mixer and some other weirdo sound sources. I looked far and wide on the net and can't find a bent S612 at all and this just blows my mind. I've seen other early Akai samplers bent in very cool ways, but no mods or bends for the S612 that I can find.
Oh yeah, so my point: does anyone have any info on mods or bends? I'm also looking for the updated OS chip and the original service manual. If anyone has anything they'd like to share in these regards it would be much appreciated. I plan to document all the modifications and post a site once completed. I just want to mod my pair and have no intention of doing any commercially, so consider it all open-source modding.
fengland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ever get anywhere with this? I finally sprung for one on ebay with drive - I've been looking at them and wanting one for years. I have electronics experience and I'm sure I could come up with some mods if I had a service manual. I'm sure data bending is possible (crossing data/address lines on the ram chip), I've done this on an s2000. The individual voice output has mod potential too - maybe a filterbank.
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh, any info on the s2000 bends? Ive got one collecting dust...

Ive done a bit of searching, found the circuitbenders site, but no info, for obvious reasons.

Cheers Very Happy
sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please don't do anything to mod the S612s. They're the only way to add a second oscillator to an Akai AX-60 and, as you have discovered, they're not terribly easy to find. Do yourself a favor and get an AX-60 to plug one of them into.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: