electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
MOTU MTP AV
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ingusbau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: MOTU MTP AV
Subject description: Help!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! Is there anybody who can tell.. Operating from its front panel (I'm not using it with a computer) there is a window to initiate current settings MIDI dump. It must be performed hitting <enter> at this window. But nothing goes out. I want to save its patches to the sequencer, but can not do this. On TWO machines (!!).. Help - if there is anyone familiar with it, using no computer!
BruceL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having the same issue, like you Im using mtp av without computer
when I get to the dump page & press enter NOTHING happens!!! Sad

***all help is welcome, if anyone knows how to remedy this problem.
DES

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm - I think that the data dump has to be requested from the receiving device...I'll see if I have any info on it. You would set the MTP AV to data dump and then the receiving device (Alesis data disk, computer, etc...) needs to send a sysex data dump request to the MTP AV.
BruceL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanx! mate for reply, now the million dollar question is how
do you request it..do you know/have the sysex command ??
DES

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I probably don't unless they have it in one of their manuals - which I supsect they won't (but hey, even MOTU can suprise me sometimes!)

You might be able to find the info in one of the synth librarian programs - something like MidiQuest. I don't know if they support it or not.

I thought that you could back up it's settings thru the control panel application - I think they call them presets - under the 'File' drop down menu (PC) . Are you looking to just back up your data or are you looking to be able to edit it?

BruceL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

again thanx for such quick reply, i do have the manual btw and nowhere
in there do they mention of any syssex command to send from an external
sequencer to request mtp av internal setup dump....it does however explain
how to dump it's settings using the front panel (as in standalone format) which
doesn't work....

i bought the unit second hand, so i do not have the driver...the unit is not
attach to any network mac or pc simply using it as a standalone midi patchbay
which it does wonderfully however can't save/backup my very complex
setup in case of battery drainage or some other emergency lost of memory. Sad

***so if anyone know of a way/a workaround let me know. thanx!
DES

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can get the driver from MOTU - you do have to set up an account with them to get it - and they might have some info there about doing a non-requested sysex dump. If you get the driver, load it into a computer (mac or pc) and then download the presets. The computer doesn't have to be state of the art - as long as it has a suitable OS.

You could also try over at www.motunation.com - I'm pretty certain that if there is a way to do it, someone there would know...

rAC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recall something in the manual about which port (8?) the dump would go to; will look when I get a chance and repost on this.
rAC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK I have checked the manual a 'System' (its only the current state of the machine and the current setup) dump will go out cable 1, loading with sysex needs to come in cable 8
elektrik_muz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm curious if anybody got this to work.

I own the last three generations of MTP (MTPII, MTP-AV and the MTP-AVUSB)
As far as I could tell the only model out of these three that had a working sysex dump feature from the midi outputs was the II. I had just assumed that this was just another one of those features that MOTU broke when they updated the units and never bothered to fix (kinda like that horrible osx version of Clockworks).

I can confirm however that (in the case of the II) this function only outputs partial settings and will not function as a full backup routine.

Want to know the BEST way to setup, backup and control these units? Scrape up an old mac that can run the last version of OS9 directly (ie no emulators). You can get them pretty cheap and maybe even for free and it can even be one of the pre-usb models. The laptops make perfect dedicated MTP controllers. Then install the OS9 version of MOTU Clockworks (the only "real' version of Clockworks).

If you do this, you will have the ultimate MTP command/control/backup machine with features far in excess of anything available from the front panel or for that matter any modern computer running the new, buggy feature-stripped versions of the same control software. Funny how that works, huh?
ggm1960

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektrik_muz wrote:
Hi, I'm curious if anybody got this to work.

I own the last three generations of MTP (MTPII, MTP-AV and the MTP-AVUSB)
As far as I could tell the only model out of these three that had a working sysex dump feature from the midi outputs was the II. I had just assumed that this was just another one of those features that MOTU broke when they updated the units and never bothered to fix (kinda like that horrible osx version of Clockworks).

I can confirm however that (in the case of the II) this function only outputs partial settings and will not function as a full backup routine.

Want to know the BEST way to setup, backup and control these units? Scrape up an old mac that can run the last version of OS9 directly (ie no emulators). You can get them pretty cheap and maybe even for free and it can even be one of the pre-usb models. The laptops make perfect dedicated MTP controllers. Then install the OS9 version of MOTU Clockworks (the only "real' version of Clockworks).

If you do this, you will have the ultimate MTP command/control/backup machine with features far in excess of anything available from the front panel or for that matter any modern computer running the new, buggy feature-stripped versions of the same control software. Funny how that works, huh?

I couldn't agree more with the idea of getting an old serial port Mac with OS9.22. The Clockworks program on this version has amazing features that just don't exist in the later edition.

I also have a MTP II and two MTP AV USB models. Fortunately one of the AV units came with the necessary serial cable (the Tx and Rx lines must be interchanged). It appears to be hard to find a cable of that configuration.

I bought an old Mac Lombard laptop on eBay for $75. It would have worked just fine but I chose to put $200 into it upgrading RAM and replacing the optical drive. Although the Lombard came equipped with OS9.2, I discovered that it did not have the serial port. It took three trys before I acquired the right USB to serial convertor that would work because an extra clock line is required. The unit that works is made by Keyspan. For desktop/tower Macs there is a board that can be purchased that will replace the modem board. I did extensive research on all this but it's been several years ago and the details have become fuzzy.

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: