electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
  Twyndyllyngs Special Monday edition of Chez Mosc
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord Modulars + Analogue Monos vs Analogue Modular
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Nord Modulars + Analogue Monos vs Analogue Modular Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Recently I decided I was going to sell some old monophonic synths I have, as I have more than one of each or a really similar model.
Since analogue synths don't appear that often in Portugal, I wasn't too sure if I should sell them, but since I don't have space to use more than 2 at the same time, I thought it would be the wisest decision, especially since I could spend the money earned on a Doepfer Modular, which would keep that good analogue sound.

However, since the world economy seems to go from bad to worse every day, I am not sure it would be the wisest move to do now, especially since I know myself and I know I'd likely start buying a huge set of modules which would end up in me spending a huge amount of cash...

But other thing that I noticed, from playing a Yamaha CS-5 together with an Electrix Repeater, that I could get really good sounds from my monophonics, both for leads and basses.
Sure I could get more complex sounds with a modular, but for complex sounds, the Nord Modulars I have are excellent, and the G1 can have a pretty fat sound.

This way I was wondering, will I be losing too much from not going modular considering I have some analogue monophonic synths that sound great to me (I'll keep two Teiscos S110f, a Yamaha CS-5 and a CS-15), and that I have a MicroModular, an expanded G1 keyboard, two G2Xs and a G2 Engine?

I also have a Creamware Scope Project, which I intend to expand to use with their modular software, and I also hope to get a Kyma system, which I think will be able to give me even more modular flavour...

What do you guys think?
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a much more extensive collection of synths than I do. Cool

I only have one Nord Modular G2X and one Moog Voyager PE. I entertain notions of building a modular around the Voyager, with the Voyager being the CV controller. However I am also frequently reminded of the sonic firepower I already have which is underutilized whenever I try out a patch/performance on the G2X that I just downloaded from here.

So I'm sticking to my plan of exploiting what I already have - the aforementioned synths plus Ableton Live Suite (w/ Operator, Impulse, etc.), Max For Live, and Reaktor. I have the virtual equivalent of at least 3 modular synths (G2X, the G2-like ensemble created by Chet Singer for Reaktor as well as Reaktor itself, Max For Live) already.

Some old stuff on VIRB
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is very little wrong with what you have already. Fact is that you would need some serious real estate to house an analog modular that provides something substantially more adventurous compared to the pretty brilliant stack of red swedish naughtiness you already possess. If you throw in complexity as a parameter then add even more real estate. IMO, you can´t really easily create an analog modular rig that truly outperforms the Clavia modulars.

However, a decent analog modular does a few things marginally better than the Clavia synths, but if that really matters much for you and your music only you can decide.

An analog modular does provide a possibly "better" interface for controlling what you play depending on what and how you like to play it. Then comes the question re the module formats. Out of old habit I went for the larger 5u moog/dot.com format. That suits me well. The more dense Doepfer sized module format isn´t IMO as playable, but this is yet another YMMV issue.

OT: A software instruments that plays well with everything is the AAS Tassman. It is worth the price for the resonators only.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go on. Do the right thing. Flog it all! It only gets in the way! Wink Shocked

Buy an iPad instead loaded with AniMoog!! Laughing

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-50040.html

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(But keep the Clavia! Very Happy)
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
paugui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to keep the Nords for sure Wink

I think you guys make very good points...

I see that the modular I'd like to have would definitely be a big one, but I don't have almost any space at home (that's why I'll be selling my Yamaha CS-10, a CS-15 and a Teisco S110f).
A basic modular would take less space, but I know myself, and I'm sure I'd try to get a really big one, which would take lots of space, and I already have lots of rack units taken...

I think for what I've done so far, the Teiscos and the Yamahas have been working well for me.
I can get good leads and basses from them, and now that I have an Electrix Repeater, I think they'll get even more use, as I had lots of fun with the Electrix together with a Yamaha CS5 (it was so easy to create some nice ambiences and the CS5 is not a complex synth at all...).

I haven't tried to use them that much for sequences, but I have something else on my sights for that.
And I think my Doepfer MAQ 16/3 can control the two Teiscos I'll keep without any problem, and two sequences at a time should be enough most of the time (if not I can always use some other synths too).

I'm sure the modular could give me more than what I have, but it would be much more expensive, and would take quite some space...
And for experimental sounds, which I bet is where an analogue modular would shine when compared to my monophonics, I like the Nords enough and I hope I'll enjoy doing some stuff with the Creamware Modular (and hopefully the Kyma too, if I can get one...).
And if I need to fatten the sounds a bit, I guess processing them with my analogs would probably do the trick, no?

I think the right decision for now is to stay away... but I'm sure in some years I'll get a nice modular Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
And if I need to fatten the sounds a bit, I guess processing them with my analogs would probably do the trick, no?

That rarely adds more than processing, and rarely fattening whatever that really is. That being said, you can do really "fat" stuff on your Clavia synths already. The real trick that changes everything is to record your synths off a PA, or a keyboard amp or what have you. By using different amps and cabs and mics and preamps you can add all the personality to the sounds you want. For some weird reason this is a forgotten art for synth players, but guitarists still do it. scratch
You should try to record both direct AND using mics. Reamping is also an alternative. Don´t forget to try using compressors for both the signal to the amp and also to manage the peaks in the mic signal as the room response will add some wild peaks and dips as well. Careful tuning and experimentation will result in something that is very hard to emulate any other way.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
HUROLURA

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The SonicCore Xite-1 + Mod IV just use one single 1 U unit and provide quite a bunch of modules ... Very Happy

In term of Modular, I would also check the yusynth modules (www.yusynth.net) as having Moog, ARP and VCS filters on board would be great. I tryed a small one a few weeks ago and ... Ouch.

The ADDAC modules are also to be considered to achieve a link between DSP modular and analog ones.

paugui

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HUROLURA wrote:
The SonicCore Xite-1 + Mod IV just use one single 1 U unit and provide quite a bunch of modules ... Very Happy

In term of Modular, I would also check the yusynth modules (www.yusynth.net) as having Moog, ARP and VCS filters on board would be great. I tryed a small one a few weeks ago and ... Ouch.

The ADDAC modules are also to be considered to achieve a link between DSP modular and analog ones.

I'd like that solution, but it's too expensive Razz
Will have to stick with the PCI DSP boards (need to find two with 14DSP and at least one of them with Scope 4.5 and the extra software...), or else I'd have problems in getting all the stuff I'd like to...

You think the XITE has better sound quality and much more power than a set of Scope boards?
And bang for the buck?
paugui

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
paugui wrote:

That rarely adds more than processing, and rarely fattening whatever that really is. That being said, you can do really "fat" stuff on your Clavia synths already. The real trick that changes everything is to record your synths off a PA, or a keyboard amp or what have you. By using different amps and cabs and mics and preamps you can add all the personality to the sounds you want. For some weird reason this is a forgotten art for synth players, but guitarists still do it. scratch
You should try to record both direct AND using mics. Reamping is also an alternative. Don´t forget to try using compressors for both the signal to the amp and also to manage the peaks in the mic signal as the room response will add some wild peaks and dips as well. Careful tuning and experimentation will result in something that is very hard to emulate any other way.

It would be a good idea, but I'm not sure I have enough space for that Razz

But if I have the luck to get more space soon, I will definitely try that Wink
HUROLURA

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:

I'd like that solution, but it's too expensive Razz
Will have to stick with the PCI DSP boards (need to find two with 14DSP and at least one of them with Scope 4.5 and the extra software...), or else I'd have problems in getting all the stuff I'd like to...

You think the XITE has better sound quality and much more power than a set of Scope boards?
And bang for the buck?

The downsized XITE-1D would provide you similar DSP power as the most powerfull Scope PCI system with 2x14 DSP and 1x6DSP. That said you also benefit from PCIe bandwidth.

To jump into the Xite-1, I also sold quite a few gears including one analog synth rack, one Micromodular, one VA rack and some other stuff and discuss with SC about some crossgrade by sending them back a few PCI boards. They had also setup a special SDK offer last summer and maybe you could still benefit form the offer.

Regarding the sound quality, specifications should show that the Xite is better than Scope PCI, but on my side (and with my ears) Scope PCI was already good enough for me and I can tell you that the Xite is at least in the same league.

Regarding the price, Xite-1D would have been a bargain if the Xite-1 did not exist. But the Xite-1 do provide extra power.

As you are a NOAH owner, I can also tell you that the Xite-1 provide a lot more power as this one (the Noah Ex could be seen as a small 14 DSP board as it only have 11 DSP). Only drawback of the Xite-1 vs NOAH ex is that some non standard plug have to be bought extra (Prodyssey, Six-String and Pro-one but you get the Minimax, Pro12, B2003, Vocodizer, Vectron with the Xite-1). As I made a crossgrade, the Prodyssey and Pro-one I had on the card I sent back were transferred to my Xite-1, so I only miss the 6-string (but I still have it on the Noah and on my main Scope PCI system).

Once again, it is also about providing room for Mod IV which provide some nice additionnal modules including Minimax and Pro-one and Pro-5 filters and the CZ oscillators.

Last edited by HUROLURA on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paulo,

I think your first idea of dumping some monos (specially as you seem to have some redundancy here) and adding a hardware modular rig is a really good idea. I think it opens up new possibilities not entirely covered by software, or fixed architecture hardware. New kit should be reliable too. Also, it seems to be a market with pretty interesting developments going on.

I think software modulars are pretty different to hardware, no matter how good they may be.

If you think the economy will be getting worse in Europe (and in general), which appears to be the case, then you may be best off selling some kit now, while people can afford to buy at decent prices.

Do you do synth diy? That can be pretty cool for a modular rig.

lambshain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just got myself a decent modular rig, some doepfer, mfb, as, and diy

modules, a lot of them second hand, the case self build, so i saved a lot

money, even if it was still expensive at the base, sonicly it was one of the

best investment i ever made! i sold also some old synths for it and do not

regret it at all. 3 he modules are really compact and u ve a lot of synth

powerin little space . even monophonic it s so versatile, combinable with

other gear.after that i finally! got my g2 engine and it fits super in this

environemment.at the end analogue stuff keeps it s value really good so it

s not wasted money at all. i can only encourage u to get some modules.
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Thank you all for your replies Smile

I have a deal almost done on some more SCOPE boards so I think I'll just keep a computer system instead.
Considering I have some Nord Modulars and that I'm also closing a deal for a Kyma system, I should get enough digital modular power that way Wink
I think I'll just try to get a 14DSP SCOPE board with all the software of 4.5 and probably will try to get some Kyma expansions.

I'd really like to go DIY in terms of modulars...

I tested an Elektor Formant and I loved the sound of it, so if I could, I think I'd just build a big system of those.

But I don't spend too much time at home, and there is where I have some friends that could give me some help, as I'm not that skilled with electronics...

The Yusynth system also seems pretty cool...

I think I'm going to get rid of the extra analog monophonic keyboards I have and spare that money.
But if a good system comes up for a nice price I might take the chance...

Let's see how things go, maybe I can sell the monophonics for a good price Smile
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: