electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My Andromeda demo songs and sounds
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

worldwide wrote:
Thanks CoolColJ and Mefistophelees for the very nice music/sounds.

My pleasure Smile

Here is a little live multitrack I did today to test my new Focal speakers, with the A6 and Jupiter .

The Alesis A6 Andromeda does the arpeggiator, Bass and the high riff on the left. Everything else is the Jupiter 8.

I think they go well together Smile

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/a6-jp8-live-multi-track-test
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Emulating my recently departed Studio Electronics Omega Code 8 on the Andromeda

Well at least my memory of it and my demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXq9jProtw

Added a Jupiter 8 latched arp line for interest

I turned on square, saw and triangle for both oscillators like I did on the Code 8
plus the sub-oscillator set it 27.8 to make that fat sawtooth sound. Both set to around 3.2. to 3.8 on the mixer.
Yes very low in volume, but this way the 12db filter does not saturate too much with the resonance up.

I have red noise routed to oscillator 1's linear FM, at 0.5.
And oscillator 2 has voice key number routed to its frequency,
by 0.02 and with an offset of -0.1 to get that loosing tracking all
discrete analog synths have. For a creamier sound

I then have a triangle LFO routed to the sample and hold, with sampled hold on,
and then routed this to the voice pan to get mimic the
Code8's individual voice pan function for nice stereo spreading, if a bit more random in nature

Still something was missing. That thick Code 8 juicy tone.
Cranking the filter feedback on to 33 did the trick I think!
Only thing is this causes the12db Band pass filter to self oscillate
when I switch to it later in the clip, but turning it off fixes that Smile

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis-andromeda-omega-code8
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolColJ wrote:
Emulating my recently departed Studio Electronics Omega Code 8 on the Andromeda

Well at least my memory of it and my demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXq9jProtw

Added a Jupiter 8 latched arp line for interest

I turned on square, saw and triangle for both oscillators like I did on the Code 8
plus the sub-oscillator set it 27.8 to make that fat sawtooth sound. Both set to around 3.2. to 3.8 on the mixer.
Yes very low in volume, but this way the 12db filter does not saturate too much with the resonance up.

I have red noise routed to oscillator 1's linear FM, at 0.5.
And oscillator 2 has voice key number routed to its frequency,
by 0.02 and with an offset of -0.1 to get that loosing tracking all
discrete analog synths have. For a creamier sound

I then have a triangle LFO routed to the sample and hold, with sampled hold on,
and then routed this to the voice pan to get mimic the
Code8's individual voice pan function for nice stereo spreading, if a bit more random in nature

Still something was missing. That thick Code 8 juicy tone.
Cranking the filter feedback on to 33 did the trick I think!
Only thing is this causes the12db Band pass filter to self oscillate
when I switch to it later in the clip, but turning it off fixes that Smile

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis-andromeda-omega-code8

Patch using the Moog filter, but any of the other can be used, you just have to reduce the oscillator
levels to around 3+ for both when using the 12db filter with high resonance to reduce the saturation.
And remove the filter feedback when using the band pass filter to avoid self oscillation

http://199.91.152.140/rx8080hrhhtg/lvzvz3sagvdn2lj/CCJ_Code8_Brass.zip

invert the filter envelope in the envelope 2, levels tab, set to negative for the other types of tones
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound I was messing around with the other day, from the base of the above patch Smile

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis-andromeda-a6-ethereal
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I picked up a $50 Behringer CC300 analog chorus pedal recently
and it gives the A6 some of that Juno vibe Smile
Just add a power adpater and you have a warm and rich stereo widening chorus cloned from the vintage Roland units for way cheaper - and quieter too!

First part uses the first button - lowest effect. 2nd and 3rd part uses first 2 buttons pressed at the same time, for a richer effect

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis-andromeda-into-cc300
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolColJ wrote:
I picked up a $50 Behringer CC300 analog chorus pedal recently
and it gives the A6 some of that Juno vibe Smile
Just add a power adpater and you have a warm and rich stereo widening chorus cloned from the vintage Roland units for way cheaper - and quieter too!

Hmm, I might get one of those, Sounds good and it's an absolute bargain!

soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:
Hmm, I might get one of those, Sounds good and it's an absolute bargain!

It's supposedly a clone of the Roland Dimension C guitar pedal. I have a Dimension C which I've long used on the A6, they go wonderfully together.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only downfall is that it clips pretty easily, so keep the input level in check.

edit - it's not quite as thick as the Juno chorus, after comparing them. Juno's chorus is a little stronger and thicker sounding in the lower mids. Some EQ boost there may help. But it doesn't take over the sound like the Juno chorus, and hiss as much Smile

comparo here
http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/juno-106-chorus-vs-behringer
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Colin, this is very inspirational. The SE Code emulation is stunning. You just saved me some cash. Laughing (I had intended to buy one eventually.)

Proof again of the ultra-flexible nature of the A6, and that there is still a lot of potential to tap into.

thumleft
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Kleinert wrote:
Thank you Colin, this is very inspirational. The SE Code emulation is stunning. You just saved me some cash. Laughing (I had intended to buy one eventually.)

Proof again of the ultra-flexible nature of the A6, and that there is still a lot of potential to tap into.

thumleft

Not quite the same though - the Code 8 is one of the creamiest sounding synths I have ever played! But they do have quite similar overall tonal colour, ie more American sounding than say Roland. Even the Moog filters on both react and sound pretty similar and unlike a real Moog Minimoog filter. The Code 8 is thicker and more organic sounding on the raw oscillator level though, as expected with discrete parts and voice boards - although surprisingly clean and pristine sounding, a bit colourless sometimes...
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More SE Code/Omega emulation Cool

used the same basic patch as above as the basis, reduced red noise to linear FM, and a few other tweaks

CoolColJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Messing around on the Andromeda.

raw output directly into my audio interface - unprocessed
Dual sawtooth waves into 12db high pass filter and a 24db low pass filter in series, with a touch of filter feedback.
Delay is also from the Andromeda - mimicking tape delay

Something about the Andromeda's main outs sounds like analog tape - kinda like a Studer in sound Smile

Old A6 demo tracks I did 10 years ago.
All the sounds and drums were from the Andromeda, fired in real time over midi in multi mode. No external processing and effects added

CoolColJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little comparison between the A6 and Jupiter 8, using similar filter settings, with 2 sawtooth waves, an octave apart.
I also mixed the A6's analog distortion at very low levels into the main output to add a bit of grit and "definition"

You can tell the A6 has a more Moog style 24db filter. JP8 is definitely very Roland sounding.....

CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This reminds me of a MiniMoog

I find that the feedback used in place of the actual filter resonance to be better than 24db filter resonance when used in series.
Used the 12db filter inline with the 24db to overdrive it, with and without feedback. Keep the ENV3 (Amp/VCA) level low under 80, I used 56 here, and the level knob on the far right under 80 as well. Gets rid of that harsh sound, especially as resonance is cranked up.

A6 doesn't have much head room compared to the discrete designs it was based on - even then when low levels are used, the noise isn't a problem, no worst than a JP8 for example, your just clipping it less Smile

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks,
i was still thinking of selling my jp8, but think i'll keep him some more time ,next to the a6.
( sell the synthi instead )
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

12db into 24db filter, with feedback - kinda sounds like a CS80
Amp envelope set to level 50 - sounds much better

Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: