electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Track and Hold
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
raulsworldofsynths

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Track and Hold
Subject description: Best uses for track and hold
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive been experimenting with my doepfer a148 sample and hold.

The lower portion is set up as track and hold but have yet to find some interesting results .
Ive tried low frequencies into the sample in, with s and h out to the cv of a filter. That sounds nifty.

Anyone have any nice patches for this? I feel like I'm missing something.
Question
Mongo1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Anyone have any nice patches for this? I feel like I'm missing something.

It's a pretty subtle difference technically. I doubt that you're missing a whole lot.

One thing that occurs to me is that if you use your keyboard's gate signal as the sample signal, a track and hold would allow you to do smooth pitch bends while the key is down, but when you release the key the pitch would stay wherever you left it. I don't know how useful that is though. It would also work well with a ribbon controller.

Gary
raulsworldofsynths

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that Gary.
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

two things I find usefull are random timing signals and random voltages. you can get psuedo random results from an LFO or oscillator going into the S&H with a clock of a different frequency feeding the clock input. when the clock and the LFO are at the same frequency exactly, the output of the S&H will not change. thats why its important to have white noise, or chaos, or a quad LFO going to the S&H. then it doesn't matter what you clock it with.

to get random clocks you can use a threshold gate or a comparator with a chaos CV or low pass filtered noise. the threshold or the fixed voltage going into the comparator B will give your more or less random timing triggers per second. the filter frquency or chaos frequency also controls how many triggers per second you get.

use the random timing gates as a clock for the S&H. now you have random voltage changing at random times. I like to run it through a lag processor or slew limiter so it doesn't sound like a robot on crack. even with a steady clock, I still like to lag the output of my S&H.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought this might help a bit: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug00/articles/synthsec.htm
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting topic...

As of late, I've become interested in sampling my sequencer's output.

My S&Hs have track and hold -- thus I could use them to track the sequencer or hold a voltage that corresponds to one of the sequencer's steps.

Another possibility is to track and hold a square wave from an LFO. The track would pass the alternating voltages and the hold would pass the "on" or "off" state.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: