electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The world's loudest animal is an insect
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: The world's loudest animal is an insect Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The results of a recent study have seen the male lesser water boatman (Micronecta Scholtzi) enter the record books as the world's loudest animal (relative to its body size) - able to create mating calls as loud as 99.2 decibels, by rubbing its penis against its stomach Shocked

That's some party trick. I bet you can't resist listening to it here Twisted Evil
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess with that technique,if he doesn't succeed in attracting a mate,sooner or later it won't matter,eh? Wink
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
beze88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
I guess with that technique,if he doesn't succeed in attracting a mate,sooner or later it won't matter,eh? Wink

hahaha nice one Shocked

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But an insect isn't an animal. An insect is an insect!

Hence....

Q; "Why do elephants paint their balls red?"

A; "So they can hide in cherry trees!"

Q; "What is the loudest noise in the jungle?"

A; "Monkeys picking cherries!!!" Exclamation

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
beze88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Whatever! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes its true that it is an insect and not an animal but who cares! I dont understand how an elephant could paint its balls red. This seems preposterous and i feel you might have gotten your facts from an unreliable source. Cool
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
But an insect isn't an animal.

Shocked

wrote:
an·i·mal
   /ˈænəməl/ Show Spelled[an-uh-muhl] Show IPA
noun
any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

Quote:
animal (ˈænɪməl) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

—n
1. zoology any living organism characterized by voluntary movement, the possession of cells with noncellulose cell walls and specialized sense organs enabling rapid response to stimuli, and the ingestion of complex organic substances such as plants and other animalsRelated: zoo-

Quote:

1an·i·mal definition
Pronunciation: /ˈan-ə-məl/
Function: n
1 : any of a kingdom (Animalia) of living things including many-celled organisms and often many of the single-celled ones (as protozoans) that typically differ from plants in having cells without cellulose walls, in lacking chlorophyll and the capacity for photosynthesis, in requiring more complex food materials (as proteins), in being organized to a greater degree of complexity, and in having the capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor response to stimulation

Quote:
animal (ān'ə-məl) Pronunciation Key
Any of the multicellular organisms belonging to the kingdom Animalia. All animals are eukaryotes, with each of their cells having a nucleus containing DNA. Most animals develop from a blastula and have a digestive tract, nervous system, the ability to move voluntarily, and specialized sensory organs for recognizing and responding to stimuli in the environment. Animals are heterotrophs, feeding on plants, other animals, or organic matter. The first animals probably evolved from protists and appeared during the Precambrian Era.

Quote:
animal definition

1. n.
a male who acts like a beast in terms of manners, cleanliness, or sexual aggressiveness. (Also a term of address. See also party animal, study animal.) : Stop picking your nose, animal.

Quote:
Animal definition

an organized living creature endowed with sensation. The Levitical law divided animals into clean and unclean, although the distinction seems to have existed before the Flood (Gen. 7:2). The clean could be offered in sacrifice and eaten. All animals that had not cloven hoofs and did not chew the cud were unclean. The list of clean and unclean quadrupeds is set forth in the Levitical law (Deut. 14:3-20; Lev. 11).

Even the bible thinks it to be an animal Confused

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ I'd go for a reverse lookup there, Jan. It's even more concise, mentioning both words in the same context Smile

Quote:
in·sect  
   /ˈɪnsɛkt/ Show Spelled[in-sekt] Show IPA
noun
any animal of the class Insecta, comprising small, air-breathing arthropods having thebody divided into three parts (head, thorax, andabdomen), and having three pairs of legs and usually two pairs of wings.

(Not quite sure why dictionary.com offers to show me an Indian Pale Ale though Shocked)

Quote:
Insect
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Hexapoda
Class: Insecta

DJ
--
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Hell! It must be true if the bible says so!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

Hell! It must be true if the bible says so!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Amen, Brother Let us pray

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My girlfriend has a coworker who is, well... dumb. She had a conversation with this person that went something like this:

Coworker: So, where you are going on your vacation?

GF: Massachusetts.

CW: Oh, so are you going to eat lobster there? (Wrong state! Whoops...)

GF: (Ignoring the massive lobster/state faux-pas) We're vegans. We don't eat animals.

CW: But it's a lobster.

GF: (trying again) We don't eat animals.

CW: But it's a lobster.

GF: (Gives up)

We had a good laugh over that one. Laughing
beze88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you are vegan??? Shocked thats crazy i would hate that
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need a tee shirt that reads:

VEGAN
Yes, I'm from a star system that's really far away.
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The world's loudest animal is an insect Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
The results of a recent study have seen the male lesser water boatman (Micronecta Scholtzi) enter the record books as the world's loudest animal (relative to its body size) - able to create mating calls as loud as 99.2 decibels, by rubbing its penis against its stomach Shocked

That's some party trick. I bet you can't resist listening to it here Twisted Evil

Cicadas are pretty loud too. If you stand next to them you'll be deafened. You can hear them about 100 yards away. Although their method of making noise isn't as sexy...

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amen to the cicadas. We had swarms this summer. I noticed that at the end of their repeated synchronized screaming they would fly from the tree and take new positions. Screech screech fly, screech screech fly... It was fascinating so I watched this cycle for about five minutes. When I went back in the house my ears were ringing so badly that for a second I thought I was Pete Townshend.
free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
my ears were ringing so badly that for a second I thought I was Pete Townshend.

Laughing

That reminds me of something that cracked me up on "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" early on. The question was "What is a sonic boom?" One of the answers was "An Eddie Van Halen guitar solo".

I laughed non-stop for 30 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: