electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Fear and loathing in Pennsylvania?!
Page 3 of 5 [104 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... my gas-fired central heating just kicked in - how guilty should I feel? Confused

Seriously though: isn't this just another symptom of overpopulation - the main driver behind just about every ecological problem we face?

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
One indication that OWS may be having an effect is the fact that authorities see it fit to shoot rubber bullets at the protesters.

Indeed. Sad

Better idea: shoot rubbers at protesters. Laughing
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
Hmmm... my gas-fired central heating just kicked in - how guilty should I feel? Confused

Seriously though: isn't this just another symptom of overpopulation - the main driver behind just about every ecological problem we face?

Overpopulation? Shocked Bollocks! Laughing

Okay, this is the shit.....

Turn off the boiler which is obviously making you feel so guilty. Now go smash up all of your wooden furniture and build a big bonfire in the middle of your living room....

err.... actually scratch that... because if you set fire to it, you will be contributing to global warming. So you can't do that..

Leave the heating off this winter and put a big woolly jumper on and plenty of clean socks- and prey to almighty Allah that there won't be a big freeze like there was last year. Stick it out for at least a year, then tell me how you got on next spring. Very Happy

Hark! What's that noise? Oh yes! The combi bolier I had fitted two years back. But what a bummer that fuel is so f**king expensive- and there will be now tax breaks this year either for the elderly. Let's hope they won't die from exposure...

...but then again, that would help keep the population down, right? Rolling Eyes Wink

Oh yes- ready a copy of the holy bible as was written by the late reverend Thomas Malthus. He didn't like people either!
Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

Last edited by v-un-v on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
Meanwhile, in the UK...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/02/fracking-protesters-storm-shale-gas-site?newsfeed=true

General info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

And meanwhile at the U.S. Geological Survey....

Quote:
Earthquakes with magnitude of about 2.0 or less are usually called microearthquakes; they are not commonly felt by people and are generally recorded only on local seismographs. Events with magnitudes of about 4.5 or greater - there are several thousand such shocks annually - are strong enough to be recorded by sensitive seismographs all over the world. Great earthquakes, such as the 1964 Good Friday earthquake in Alaska, have magnitudes of 8.0 or higher.

arrow http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/richter.php

The first of these 'earthquake' events, on 1 April, had a magnitude of 2.3 on the Richter scale; the second, on 27 May, had a magnitude 1.5. That's miniscule!! Trust the bloody Guardian to make out that we have just had another 'Christchurch' but in Lancashire!! Laughing Wink

arrow http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/02/fracking-cause-lancashire-quakes

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Well, having concerns about how many people can possibly live in comfort and peace doesn't necessarily equate to misanthropy, or does it?

After all, when everybody wants colour TVs, cars, cell phones and Coca Cola there has to be a limit somewhere. Not that I know where that limit lies...

DJ
--
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
After all, when everybody wants colour TVs, cars, cell phones and Coca Cola there has to be a limit somewhere. Not that I know where that limit lies...

Look behind you.we passed it years ago.
And not only do they want colour TV's,cars,cell phones,and perhaps (blech) even Coca Cola,many of them are getting those things.

And don't forget iPads with synthesizer apps.Yep we are all guilty as charged. Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I wouldn't feel overly guilty about having gas heat.Just don't turn your thermostat up to 80 degrees and walk around the house in your underwear all day like some of the jackasses I work with. Rolling Eyes
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
And I wouldn't feel overly guilty about having gas heat.Just don't turn your thermostat up to 80 degrees and walk around the house in your underwear all day like some of the jackasses I work with. Rolling Eyes

Well I'm always the first to say "If you're cold, put on a jumper"- which I will. But my wife sees differently. I think you should be allowed to walk around in winter in your underwear if you wish.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Well, having concerns about how many people can possibly live in comfort and peace doesn't necessarily equate to misanthropy, or does it?

DJ
--

This overpopulation thing is all about misanthropy. Greens posing as humanists. Twisted Evil

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Well I'm always the first to say "If you're cold, put on a jumper"- which I will. But my wife sees differently. I think you should be allowed to walk around in winter in your underwear if you wish.

Didja tell her to go for it? Twisted Evil
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. She makes her own decisions. Smile
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
DrJustice wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

DJ
--

This overpopulation thing is all about misanthropy. Greens posing as humanists. Twisted Evil

Tom, just out of curiousity, is it possible for anyone to state their concerns over matters with opinions differing from yours without you resorting to belittling or distorting their arguments? Oh, and I know about the British penchant for irony and all that, but I'm not sure if some of your posts aren't more sarcastic...

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Popcorn time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:

Tom, just out of curiousity, is it possible for anyone to state their concerns over matters with opinions differing from yours without you resorting to belittling or distorting their arguments? Oh, and I know about the British penchant for irony and all that, but I'm not sure if some of your posts aren't more sarcastic...

Oskar, for a start you don't live in England where green rhetoric has become a kind of popular endemic fascism engraining itself into everyday life (just listen to BBC Radio 4's "Food Programme" or "Costing the Earth" or the latest green party BBC political propaganda fest "Off the shelf" where a panel of people discuss 'gluttony' Rolling Eyes arrow http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016wzrl ).

Secondly, I've never been that brilliant with words- I find both speaking and writing incredibly tedious and frustrating. I write because I feel if I don't, the majority will agree with something I find quite offensive- like misanthropy or illiberalism, and no one will be their to challenge this doom-laden thinking. I've always been a left wing Trotskyite Marxist, but I feel currently there are many greens who pose as Marxists, but actually are regressive conservatives in denial, or at least are slowly turning into them) Mad

And yes, well spotted, I am reasonably sarcastic at times. But as that old analogy goes..."Sticks and stones will break my bones"....I'm a very firm believer in free speech, even if free speech may offend. This is the internet and it's full of offensive trolls, and I'm quite happy for them to troll and offend me with their daft opinions in return, and so far none of them have yet turned up on my doorstep to kick the shit out of me, rape my family, and burn my house down! So what's the problem? (you do get my drift? Well I hope you do! Wink Very Happy )

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha! I see Stein has beaten me to it already! Excellent! Laughing Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Aha! I see Stein has beaten me to it already! Excellent! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yup...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not one of John Cleese's brightest moments imo. Sad

The Liberals are in power and Nick Clegg is enemy number 1 (or should that be enema??)

[Q]

Audio files: 57

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For political balance.. Smile

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...or enemy number 1.5 (1 being Cameron)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well said!

Politicians work for us, but we never get the full picture. All of our parties are the same. We need a new government with new parties, where government aren't in bed with big business, because new parties have made new rules to stop all this colluding. So far no party has put a stop to it.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A Brummie too!! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway, fair enough, green equals fascism. Can't argue with that.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
DrJustice wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

--

Oh, and I know about the British penchant for irony and all that, but I'm not sure if some of your posts aren't more sarcastic...

On another forum I visit, there is a rule that says sarcasm has to be in purple.

Of course, there's no way any such thing could benefit us around here.

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool rule. we can solve that quite easy by simply fixing it with an ironic CSS that tags all text in all posts purple.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 3 of 5 [104 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: